• Dons

Votes: 51 63.8%
  • Pies

Votes: 29 36.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have banged on for the last three years that Collingwood is the worst kicking team in the ALF. But Sidebottom is an above average kick in the ALF.
Sidebottom is a very overrated kick, surprisingly it is more the non Pie supporters that overrate his kicking.

Sharrenberg, Pendlebury, Reid, Howe and Treloar are better off the top of my head.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I don't recall ever conceding that Myers was only a blocker. In fact I don't recall anyone other than the usual knockers saying that.
OK but supporters of his have defined his main role in the team as a blocker.

Pendles is their best field kick and decision maker, it's not close. Sidebottom is their best kick at goal imo

It's a stupid move but I think it'd be explained as:

It's not a case of choosing to drop him OR somebody else, it's all about what each player brings.

For the quiet games he does have, Colyer has absolute, outright pace which is a major weapon and makes him hard to drop. He can be very dangerous breaking lines and in the forward line.

That simply would have saved him from the axe. Same with Fanta and Tippa.

Green isn't in the conversation - relative to Langford. He's a pure forward and the coaches clearly see Langford as a midfielder - which is wrong, as he's a forward - but that's irrelevant as it's their call.

If Begley was coming in then Green would've been gone.

The coaches clearly believe our issue last week was in the midfield, they look to the VFL and what's there? Myers with the ball on a string.

So they decide to bring Myers in.

So who do you drop?

You're not dropping Heppell, Merrett, Watson, Zaka or Goddard.

That leaves Parish and Langford.

They clearly rate Parish over Langford (rightly), so Langford gets the chop.

It all gets back to them classifying him a midfielder. He's the bottom of the chain in our midfield group at that moment hence he's in and out, basically interchanging with Myers.
The problem is winning the hard ball and getting clearances. Myers has not contributed at all to this in the senior team.

Last week he played as the loose man on the defensive side of the stoppage.

Baffling decision to bring him back in.

Sidebottom is a very overrated kick, surprisingly it is more the non Pie supporters that overrate his kicking.

Sharrenberg, Pendlebury, Reid, Howe and Treloar are better off the top of my head.

Howe? Treloar? Now that's just plain incorrect. Both are butchers and Sidebottom has them covered in spades. The others are close but you can't be serious with those players

No, not really.

The reality is, with the likely retirement of Jobe and the lack of other clear options to go inside, Myers by necessity will almost be right in the guts. Not just as a mere blocker.

If we can't beat this mob without Moore tomm, we've truly pissed the year down the drain, if we already didn't last week against the comp basket case.

Hiding to nothing really, but we just have to respond after the last 2 weeks of bullshit.

We've got this. I'm sure that we will have the hunger after last week, whereas the pies will be down on confidence after being outplayed by the Dawks. They don't have the mental strength we do!

If we can't beat this mob without Moore tomm, we've truly pissed the year down the drain, if we already didn't last week against the comp basket case.

Hiding to nothing really, but we just have to respond after the last 2 weeks of bullshit.

We pissed the year down the drain in all losses besides Adelaide and GWS really..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has been mediocre for over a decade and quite frankly I'm over it,it's time for the club to make a statement. any players who don't want to stand up from now till the end of the season can find them selves another club.

The club has been mediocre for over a decade and quite frankly I'm over it,it's time for the club to make a statement. any players who don't want to stand up from now till the end of the season can find them selves another club.

Well this playing group can't even take a little criticism via twitter. Someone might stand up but I wouldn't be surprised if no one did.

Win and keep slim finals hopes alive.
Lose and get to play more youth in the remaining rounds of the season, developing for next year.
Seems like a win either way.

When Myers plays at his best, he has guys like Watson, Howlett, Heppell in the trenches getting the ball out to him and he delivers booming kicks into the forward line. This is the way he played in the VFL last week and he racked up a lot of quality possessions.

The other thing about Myers is that this season in the AFL he handpasses the ball to guys that are running into the forward line rather than kicking. I assume this can only be a team instruction. When I have attended games this year Dons fans have screamed out "kick it Myers... kick it.. no more handpasses"

One can only assume that given his size, Woosha wanted him to become a more big bodied defensive mid.

Myers physically takes on opposition in 2017... strong jumper but is this the role he should be playing?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4333A15E49FCDA6F3C3D4333A15E49FCDA6&FORM=VIRE

Or his previous role in this video?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...74AD4DD660113464832974AD4DD66011346&FORM=VIRE

It would be great to see the young guys given games... Mutch, Begley etc, but equally if we were to make finals, Myers would be invaluable with his thumping accurate left footers playing his natural game.

Last edited:
When I have attended games this year Dons fans have screamed out "kick it Myers... kick it.. no more handpasses".
This is what fans (especially grandma's) shout EVERY week, about every player. I mean, when was the last time you heard a fan say 'Handpass more!". I do agree with the sentiment of your post though. At his best, Myers has the distance in his kicks to get it over the back, for some marks to forwards like Fantasia, who work hard, running back towards goal. The handball game isn't really his bag (not the best use of his skill set).

The physical aspects are for him to stand up in tackles, but I remember him less as being an extractor. Hopefully he can get it together today.

They better come out really fired up and ready to tackle today - same intensity as the Geelong game.

I'm pretty confident about today. If the players haven't learnt from the past two games, than we are in strife.

As always it will be Coll midfield that will carry them along way, defensively and offensively they are average excluding Reid and Howe.

Coll don't tag midfielders so I'm expecting Merrett to get 35+ disposals.

Hopefully we enjoy a great game and win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what fans (especially grandma's) shout EVERY week, about every player. I mean, when was the last time you heard a fan say 'Handpass more!". I do agree with the sentiment of your post though. At his best, Myers has the distance in his kicks to get it over the back, for some marks to forwards like Fantasia, who work hard, running back towards goal. The handball game isn't really his bag (not the best use of his skill set).

The physical aspects are for him to stand up in tackles, but I remember him less as being an extractor. Hopefully he can get it together today.
True... he is more of an Isaac Smith long striding wingman that can goal from outside 50 metres on a consistent basis. He is at best as outside running midfielder. Best to leave the inside stuff to guys that can slug it out with quick hands and would be equally at home slugging it out for 10 rounds (Liberatore, Wallis, Swans midfield and Selwood style).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back