Preview Essendon vs Geelong, MCG, Saturday 19/05/18 @ 4:35 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpredictability will be a strong point for us this week.
No Hurley means they wont know much about how we bring it out of defence (because we don't either).
The Cats will try to play their own way in the midfield and while they will try GHS on Merrett, i don't think he will cop the attention that he has had in previous weeks. We will have the advantage you get from knowing defensively what it is you have to do, whereas the Cats will have to play from the front (which they should easily do, but it is the classic scenario for putting in a flat performance).
Our forward line no longer has a predictable focus, so their defence will be spread pretty evenly.

It makes for an interesting game in some ways. The Cats will be lacking in a defensive focus on individual players which is often the cause of a drop in team cohesion. If they get a run on we will get blown away, but if they give a us a sniff?
Last year when we beat them our intensity early caught them by surprise and had kicked away to a 5 goal lead by quarter time. We maintained the margin for the rest of the game. To have any chance, we will need to do similar.

McKenna to a wing?
It's time McKenna became a permanent mid, Wing and Inside IMO and he will flourish.
Needs to stay at half back. Speedy backs that make good decision with ball in hand are vital. And with our glacial ball movement, removing one of our most effective ways to transition from defence into attack by putting him up the ground seems silly.

Besides we are always complaining about how dodoro is drafting flankers to be made into mids. Why do that with mckenna when he is so vital to our rebound game and he wont be affecting clearances while on the wing.

Last year when we beat them our intensity early caught them by surprise and had kicked away to a 5 goal lead by quarter time. We maintained the margin for the rest of the game. To have any chance, we will need to do similar.

Our outside run killed them, although to be fair Danger played injured.

40 points up at 3/4 time and Cats got within 2 goals.

Three new midfielders into the team is a good start
Can I ask if any of them are the in and under type? One program I was listening to was suggesting that there are too many outside mids, not enough of the Watson style to get in and feed it out. Haven't followed you close enough enough to know if that is correct or not.

Can I ask if any of them are the in and under type? One program I was listening to was suggesting that there are too many outside mids, not enough of the Watson style to get in and feed it out. Haven't followed you close enough enough to know if that is correct or not.
No, you may not ask.

Clarke is predominantly inside, Langford and Guelfi are a sort of mix of inside/outside.

Needs to stay at half back. Speedy backs that make good decision with ball in hand are vital. And with our glacial ball movement, removing one of our most effective ways to transition from defence into attack by putting him up the ground seems silly.

Besides we are always complaining about how dodoro is drafting flankers to be made into mids. Why do that with mckenna when he is so vital to our rebound game and he wont be affecting clearances while on the wing.

I see him as an inside mid one day, Runs hard tackles hard, Is the most explosive player on the list.

It's the perfect time to explore the list, Throw the magnets around.

I see him as an inside mid one day, Runs hard tackles hard, Is the most explosive player on the list.

It's the perfect time to explore the list, Throw the magnets around.
I disagree. Mckenna is at his best when he sees the play out if front him and then identify space to run into.

He wont have that luxury in clearance situation very often. And as we saw at points last week, when he makes a break off of half back it is one of the few times we look dangerous in transition. Saad is in the same boat.

They actually smashed us in the clearances and inside 50s.

Their defensive zone was abysmal and we shredded them from half back.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Clarke is a classic first possession in and under mid.

Langford probably doesn't fit the description. He's first touch but more of a stand and deliver distributor in the way Jobe used to be which is the reason that he has been struggling. He's not yet strong enough to play the way he wants to though I think that we're also at the point that he needs time to adapt his game to the intensity of AFL.

Guelfi is more of a midfield utility. He's in and under, I suppose, but he'll play more from a wing. He hasn't really played inside in the AFL or the VFL so far.

I think all three are probably better than Parish as purely inside midfielders. None is the bull that Myers is, not yet anyway, but they can handball.

In saying that, I'm not telling you that Geelong ought to be worried about anyone, not at this stage. Each player is very much a work in progress. We had better opportunities to start changing our midfield but now some kids are going to go up against your midfield powerhouse. I don't think we'll be judging our midfield tomorrow by the numbers. It's will be about work rate and intensity.

Edit: and yes, you could make the argument that we haven't played a game this year with an inside midfielder who is better than 6/10 in that role.

Last edited:
Brings in two debutants as well as two players that people have been clamouring for. Nothing even approaching a statement he says. **** me Bruno, you’re a hard man to please.

They have some credits in the bank that he as yet doesn’t? Who that plays the same role as him should have been dropped for him to retain his place in the team?

Credits in an Italian bank, maybe.

There hasn't been a statement made when it's a third year player and a depth back pocket who are the only players dropped.

The changes are good but they're also forced. We'll see what happens when there comes a time for a statement to be made.

Credits in an Italian bank, maybe.

There hasn't been a statement made when it's a third year player and a depth back pocket who are the only players dropped.

The changes are good but they're also forced. We'll see what happens when there comes a time for a statement to be made.
Well we've pretty much blooded as many kids as is realistic now... Not sure whether making a statement with further big changes is the way to go. No doubt Bags has kept his spot partly for the maturity balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win for Hirdy's Audi
Lets hope it doesnt come back like this
The-Blues-Brothers-Chicago.jpg

Our season was turned around when we played the Cats last year. Could it happen again? We’re going to have to be at least 5-7 at the bye to be any chance to make the eight.

We're out of the finals race, it's no longer about that - all about player development from here.

Those two are supposed to be playing far more attacking brand of footy, but are just too scared, hopefully they start running with the ball and breaking lines,
Saady did that against port

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon they are too scared because they see no one up the field running towards goal or creating a lead so they stop and then just bombed it foward it.

We're out of the finals race, it's no longer about that - all about player development from here.
Not true actually. s**t form is s**t form and we have had a massive dose of it. Fact is that form (good or bad) usually doesn't last all that long and we are likely to turn at some point. Admittedly we probably do require Clarke or Langford to step right up in order to actually get interested again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back