VFL Game Day Essendon vs Geelong, Windy Hill, Saturday 19/05/18, Midday

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon and Geelong meet in the traditional (sort of) curtain raiser to the country game for both sides at Windy Hill. Essendon have beaten Geelong in 4 of the last 5 matches the pair have played and will be looking to extend that as they hope to maybe grab a top 4 place on the VFL ladder, whilst Geelong will be hoping to bounce back after a close loss.

Essendon had a dominant second quarter against Sandringham to book themselves their first back-to-back win this season. Dylan Clarke had 38 disposals which was his 5th consecutive 30+ game in the VFL with, "hitting the door down with a sledgehammer" according well respected VFL expert Paul Amy, whilst a wasteful Alex Boyse kicked 2.4 forward of centre in a game where he could have put his name in highlights to get drafted at the end of the year

Geelong had a very close game with Collingwood, kicking 4 of the 5 final quarter goals, coming from 29 points down at the final break to get within a goal at the end of the game. James Tsitas was excellent for the Cats, collecting 25 disposals in the midfield whilst Lincoln McCarthy was the main forward for the Cats, kicking 3 majors for Geelong.

Bombers in a tight one, a team we just seem to have the wood on in recent times.

Another game that should be a cracker. Geelong are like us and seem to always have VFL guys you've never really heard of but come in and do an exceptional well in there own system.

This week it's Tom Atkins, James Tsitas & Jackson McClachlan
Atkins has been on the radar the past couple of years mate and I'm pretty sure Tsitas has been talked about ever since he started with the Roosters. Good shout on McLauchlan though, building to a nice player.

Atkins has been on the radar the past couple of years mate and I'm pretty sure Tsitas has been talked about ever since he started with the Roosters. Good shout on McLauchlan though, building to a nice player.

When people talk about the "big guns" in VFL football, you often hear about Toby Pinwall, Ben Jolley, Nick Rippon and Murray Gibbons. You hardly hear about James Tsitas or Tom Atkins. McClachlan may be slight of stature (170cm/71kg) but he doesn't lack tenacity, already averaging almost 4 tackles a game as a small forward.

When people talk about the "big guns" in VFL football, you often hear about Toby Pinwall, Ben Jolley, Nick Rippon and Murray Gibbons. You hardly hear about James Tsitas or Tom Atkins. McClachlan may be slight of stature (170cm/71kg) but he doesn't lack tenacity, already averaging almost 4 tackles a game as a small forward.
Well yeah, that's because three of those guys play(ed) for the two biggest stand alone clubs in the VFL. Tsitas is widely talked about from what I see and everyone brings up Atkins whenever they play Geelong.

Well yeah, that's because three of those guys play(ed) for the two biggest stand alone clubs in the VFL. Tsitas is widely talked about from what I see and everyone brings up Atkins whenever they play Geelong.

When you are that good, you are know amongst the VFL followers.

See Dave Mirra, Sam Gibson (prior to drafting), Ben Duscher. They all played for aligned clubs and stood out as some of the best in the VFL.

Anyways, the game should be a cracker. Really feel like it will be won in the midfield with Essendon possibly posting a somewhat depleted side with the likely inclusions of Clarke &/or Langford in the seniors.

Okay, this is a possible Essendon side for Saturday (if we make the changes I want):

Baguley - Brown - Dea
Francis - BZT - McNiece
Hind - Myers - Parish
Houlahan - Boyse - Merrett
Green - Draper - Lavender
Leuenberger - Mynott - Hocking
Ferry - Hepell- Younan - Sheahan
Lazzaro (23P)

Maybe a bit tall in defence though.

Brown - Hartley - McNiece
Redman - Francis - BZT
Hind - Heppell - Long
Merrett - Boyse - Mynott
Green - Draper - Lavender
Leuenberger - Parish - Hocking

Collins - Dixon - Fennell - Houlahan
McQueen - Ottavi - Sheahan - Younan
23P: Crosbie

Younan and Hoops will play. Sheahan I suspect will. I think Fennell is the most likely to play of the rest. Geelong side:

Hayball - Gardner - Kiel
Black - Siggins - Z Guthrie
Kol - Keras - O'Connor
Jones - Dobson - McCarthy
Buzza - Stanley - Miers
Abbott - Atkins - Simpson

Dowling - Floyd - Horbury - S McLachlan
J McLachlan - Mitchell - Reid - Tsitas
23P: Diamond

I think Black probably plays forward. They have a pretty small side, only the 6 KPP's. Would be starting Francis or Brown forward, most likely the latter. Hartley to take Buzza to the cleaners. Stanley worries me a bit at this level. On second thoughts, Brown should play back and take Buzza, Hartley to take Stanley. Don't think BZT is strong enough to take either yet. Though is probably the perfect match for Black if he plays forward.

Love having these games at Windy Hill. Going to take my son down again today like I did when we played North a couple of weeks ago - hopefully we can have a win. Brings back memories of the good old days being at Windy Hill hope we can get back to that as a club again some time soon...

Love having these games at Windy Hill. Going to take my son down again today like I did when we played North a couple of weeks ago - hopefully we can have a win. Brings back memories of the good old days being at Windy Hill hope we can get back to that as a club again some time soon...

It really is an awesome day isn’t it. Unfortunately can’t take my boys today but last time we were there I was telling them to look around and imagine what it was like with all stands and the hill full (and people standing on the old steel cans to see)

It really is an awesome day isn’t it. Unfortunately can’t take my boys today but last time we were there I was telling them to look around and imagine what it was like with all stands and the hill full (and people standing on the old steel cans to see)

Yep - the old hill and people standing up on steel cans, milk crates or whatever to watch the game. Ronnie Andrews, Kevin Walsh, through to guys like Wanga and Hirdy when they came through. Those memories will stay with me forever

21-20. Goals to Brown, Houlahan & Green.

Really like the look of BZT. Francis was good. Other than that nothing really much to write home about in that first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know of a radio stream?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back