Preview Round 10: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Friday 07/08/2020 @ 7:50 PM

Who's Aggregate will be higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont really understand the comments about Conor. Blokes struggling with homesickness which is obviously affecting him mentally, so let's just pay him out and * him off. A bit of anger in quite a few posts.

Joe Dan wanted out last year and may again this year. Yet most supported the non trade and hope we can get him to stay. Even if he goes, posters are hoping he does well at another club and gets back to his best and enjoys footy again.

Not sure what the difference between the 2 situations is really. Both may want to leave at years end but are treated differently.

Dont really understand the comments about Conor. Blokes struggling with homesickness which is obviously affecting him mentally, so let's just pay him out and fu** him off. A bit of anger in quite a few posts.

Joe Dan wanted out last year and may again this year. Yet most supported the non trade and hope we can get him to stay. Even if he goes, posters are hoping he does well at another club and gets back to his best and enjoys footy again.

Not sure what the difference between the 2 situations is really. Both may want to leave at years end but are treated differently.
Well said. Conor is thousands of kms away and no one can understand what he says. Joe just wanted to live in Surry Hills.

Dont really understand the comments about Conor. Blokes struggling with homesickness which is obviously affecting him mentally, so let's just pay him out and fu** him off. A bit of anger in quite a few posts.

I don't know but I'm guessing because the Daniher name is synonimous with Essendon

if he doesn't want to be here then fu** him off back home.

100%. I'd rather see Guelfi who bleeds for the game, get a crack.

Homesickness lol.... he's an adult, isnt he? he's not a 14 yr old kid on school camp...

Grow up, you're getting 400k a year to play a game.

Maybe money isn't worth that much?
Then don't want it or take it or sign contracts that you then can't keep (plus talk about your annual decision to return to the club like its a toss of the coin).

Does anyone actually believe he's here because he wants to play the game? He's here for money. He would rather be home with his family playing Gaelic. So he's on a journey into adulthood where you decide whats really important to you - money or family - and make your decision either way. But AFL is in Australia and your family isn't and nothings changed since last month, last Christmas, last year or the year before that..

He's not here at gunpoint. Do your job or go and do something else. He's wasting our time and the club is letting him do so.

Edit; this isn't all directed at you of course but we have millions of people locked down and millions more either out of work or about to be and people on here are supposed to have to somehow understand (and be sympathetic) ro Connor - who could solve his own motivational problems tomorrow by going home, having made as much money as many in here will in the next 20 years of work (if they can get work) - by 24. Please

Last edited:
Thanks for proving my point.

Not really proving your point at all... If JD wants to leave, I'd be giving him a harsher send-off. 3 years paying him 800K+, rehabilitating him, putting resources into him, just for him to turn around and give the club a big "thanks but no thanks... I'm off". You feel free to wish him well with an "I hope you find happiness in Sydney, Joey"... Personally, I won't be. Each to their own.

Maybe money isn't worth that much?

Haha you think he's playing AFL over Gaelic for the love of the sport? grow up, he's here for the pay cheque. If Gaelic was paying monetary wages, instead of in whiskey or however they currently reimburse their players, we wouldnt have Connor, nor would any other club have an irish boys.

Too many facts here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then don't want it or take it or sign contracts that you then can't keep (plus talk about your annual decision to return to the club like its a toss of the coin).

Does anyone actually believe he's here because he wants to play the game? He's here for money. He would rather be home with his family playing Gaelic. So he's on a journey into adulthood where you decide whats really important to you - money or family - and make your decision either way. But AFL is in Australia and your family isn't and nothings changed since last month, last Christmas, last year or the year before that..

He's not here at gunpoint. Do your job or go and do something else. He's wasting our time and the club is letting him do so.

Edit; this isn't all directed at you of course but we have millions of people locked down and millions more either out of work or about to be and people on here are supposed to have to somehow understand (and be sympathetic) ro Connor - who could solve his own motivational problems tomorrow by going hime, and have made as much money as many in here will in the next 20 years of work (if they can get work) - by 24. Please
Haha you think he's playing AFL over Gaelic for the love of the sport? grow up, he's here for the pay cheque. If Gaelic was paying monetary wages, instead of in whiskey or however they currently reimburse their players, we wouldnt have Connor, nor would any other club have an irish boys.
Sure he is playing for money of course, but if he is homesick, then at some point his personal life outweighs the value of money.

I don't believe he should be playing, but I'm not going to criticise him for feeling the way he does. It's simply not my business to judge his decision especially when I don't know him and his circumstances.

can Mossy and tippa work together in the same area , both wow players but weve already tried flooding the forward line with little guys , if Snelling is still in the team he’s forward pocket and that’s it , so that would be three in there or can mossy take snellings spot , maybe Snelling to try and lock the ball in , mossy has to play sooner or later tho

So all reports say it will be a wet one tomorrow night, so expect the team to be picked accordingly.
Surely we can’t be stupid enough to go in with two rucks?

GWS have the 3 talls so we need to take in 3 key defenders. I’m going with Hurley BZT and Francis. Gleeson was really poor last game and just lacks footy smarts. I’d leave him out.
I don’t see the need to tag anyone this week. There best player is out (Greene), focus should be on getting the ball forward and the. Locking it in! We can only pick one of Mckernan and Stewart, in the wet. I’m picking Stewart, but might have to pinch hit in the ruck.
Mosquito was held off from last weeks game, has played absolutely everywhere in the scratch matches. I feel this week is as a good an opportunity it’s to debut him.

This is the side I’m picking this week.

FB: Redman Hurley BZT
HB: Ridley Francis Saad
C: Langford Merrett Cutler
HF: Smith Stewart Parish
FF:Snelling Townsend Tippa
FOL: Draper Shiel McGrath
Int: Clarke Hibberd Mckenna Mosquito.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100%. I'd rather see Guelfi who bleeds for the game, get a crack.

Homesickness lol.... he's an adult, isnt he? he's not a 14 yr old kid on school camp...

Grow up, you're getting 400k a year to play a game.
grow up Conor and never engage with your emotions ever again

Sure he is playing for money of course, but if he is homesick, then at some point his personal life outweighs the value of money.

I don't believe he should be playing, but I'm not going to criticise him for feeling the way he does. It's simply not my business to judge his decision especially when I don't know him and his circumstances.
Is anything he's doing helping us build for a finals win? Thats the only output he's being judged on here - not how he feels.

Thats the basis for his involvement at the club and on this forum. His actual welfare is 100% within his own control so he is choosing this outcome for himself. That we can be fairly certain of because he tells us on his media stuff our club doesn't approve of either.

Would love to see Kobe mutch get a run at it. He was very good in his draft year, kicks both feet, runs both ways, and always seems to be tearing up the 2s until he gets injured. Not too sure what the knock is on him, if there is any. Just seems to be forgotten in amongst all those Injuries

grow up Conor and never engage with your emotions ever again

That's the thing isn't it?

Do we do what we can to keep a generational talent on the list?

Or do we throw the toys out of the cot because an Irish kid is struggling being away from home?

Answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Of course the rules are different for the guns. The whole industry is set up on the basis the rules are different for guns.

Last edited:

Or do we throw the toys out of the cot be an Irish kid is struggling being away from home?

Of course the rules are different for the guns. The who industry is set up on the basis the rules are different for guns.
Of course we * him off. Player welfare is stupid

Is anything he's doing helping us build for a finals win? Thats the only output he's being judged on here - not how he feels.

Thats the basis for his involvement at the club and on this forum. His actual welfare is 100% within his own control so he is choosing this outcome for himself. That we can be fairly certain of because he tells us on his media stuff our club doesn't approve of either.
That's definitely not the only thing being questioned here because otherwise I would have agreed.

It isn't uncommon for a 23/24y/o to be unsure of their direction. Yes his career is in his control, but we don't know the full story so I'll focus on his role in the side. From the outside looking in, he's had a horrid year, most outside of his control so I can understand why he feels the way he does.

I don't believe he should be in the side if he lacks motivation, but I'm glad he communicated that to us instead of plodding along without saying anything. If he's right to go, then I wouldn't be upset if he plays, though I'd rather develop Mosquito and others who will be here longterm.

Or do we throw the toys out of the cot because an Irish kid is struggling being away from home?

Of course the rules are different for the guns. The whole industry is set up on the basis the rules are different for guns.
For sure. I don't buy the "$400k suck it up" concept at all. The futility of that argument is summed up by the fact that he could have another 6 years at half a million a year - and will probably leave it all on the table. If money so clearly doesn't matter to him then why would it be a reason to deny his own strong feelings of longing to be home?

The club desperately wants to keep him and I'm glad they have been accommodating.

The only potentially dangerous consequences I see are:
- if his performance dips and he can't be managed. This may already happening to some small degree (e.g. brain fade air swings). Coaches need to be confident they can call him to account without him saying to himself (or them) "* this, i don't want to be here anyway". At work some employees who know they are on the way out start to phone performances in - but not everyone is like that. Some have a work ethic and will do what it takes until their last day. Picking Conor in A grade means the club is backing his effort. If that consistently wavers they probably need to can his season.

- the perspective of other players. Many here are saying that being flexible for Conor ensures mediocrity because standards are slipping. I don't think that's true if the rest of the group are communicated with well, and truly understand the club's policy towards him. Modern players probably even appreciate the club showing humanity. However, if the playing group aren't informed with how Conor is going and what flexibility is in place they would probably (justifiably) buck up.

This is so much like players struggling with depression. Obviously you want to manage it as a short term scenario. I could see the club being flexible for the rest of Conor's career provided the uncertainty goes away. If he is unsure at the end of this year he probably needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back