Preview Essendon vs Hawthorne, Docklands, Friday 14/06/19, 7:50 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was picking it:

Out: McNeice, Begley (have this feeling he and Laverde are fighting for 1 spot..and Lav is in front), Francis (we don't need that much height at either end against Hawthorn)
In: Shiel, Fantasia, Stringer

B: Redman, Hooker, Ambrose
HB: Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C: Heppell, Shiel, Merrett
HF: Zaharakis, McKernan, Fantasia
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Stringer, Laverde
R: Bellchambers, Langford, Parish
Int: McGrath, Guelfi, Clarke, Baguley
Emerg: Ridley, Houlahan, Begley, Francis

Stat just mentioned during On The Couch. Essendon have had the hardest difficulty of shots for goal in the league. They didn't show the percentages of likelihood of scoring vs our actual results, but it does speak to the fact that when we do get shots on goal, they are from s**t positions on the ground

Stat just mentioned during On The Couch. Essendon have had the hardest difficulty of shots for goal in the league. They didn't show the percentages of likelihood of scoring vs our actual results, but it does speak to the fact that when we do get shots on goal, they are from **** positions on the ground
Laverde and merrett had relatively easy shots in the first quarter and both missed. It seems to be a trend in our games, make opportunities in the opening quarter but not take them.

Laverde and merrett had relatively easy shots in the first quarter and both missed. It seems to be a trend in our games, make opportunities in the opening quarter but not take them.

This compounds the issue, when we miss the easy ones, it puts a shitload more pressure on players to make the difficult shots, which we have more of than any other club.

This compounds the issue, when we miss the easy ones, it puts a shitload more pressure on players to make the difficult shots, which we have more of than any other club.
That's true. I'd guess that a player's psychology starts to change when going for a shot after his teammates have missed relatively easy ones early.

That's true. I'd guess that a player's psychology starts to change when going for a shot after his teammates have missed relatively easy ones early.
you could see Laverde's relief after he got the difficult shot after missing the two easy ones. Monkey off his back!

Fantasia, Shiel, Stringer, Ridley...
Dayum those are some nice potential ins.

I called it last week during the pre-carlton doom talk. We will make finals

In Fantasia Shiel Stringer
Out Baguley McNiece Guelfi

B: McKenna - Hurley - Ambrose
HB: Redman - Hooker - Saad
C: Heppell - Parish - Zaharakis
HF: Fantasia - Francis - Tipungwuti
F: Stringer - McKernan - Begley
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Merrett
I: Clarke - McGrath - Langford - Laverde

Guelfi very stiff but there’s some genuine pressure for spots. I think plenty would like Zaka dropped instead but if you look at his numbers and heat map today he really put in a good performance.
Why would you drop guelfi. He is so versatile and hard at it.

If all three are fit:

Out: McNiece, Baguley, Francis (think he needs more time in the two's)
In: Shiel, Fantasia, Stringer

I know Begley didn't kick a goal either but he had more touches, tackles and marks than Francis.
These would be my changes as well

Because playing it at marvel is actually a home ground advantage to us. Really like the idea of ppaying Brisbane at the mcg this year and hawkes at marvel. Actual advantages.
The faster deck at marvel will suit us better. Other than a couple of individual players like Impey, Smith and Scully (who may be out) they dont have a hell of a lot of leg speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stat just mentioned during On The Couch. Essendon have had the hardest difficulty of shots for goal in the league. They didn't show the percentages of likelihood of scoring vs our actual results, but it does speak to the fact that when we do get shots on goal, they are from **** positions on the ground
Not too surprising - it seems most of our lead-up marks from the goalsquare go to Joey or Mitch who haven't played a ton of footy this season. We end up having no long, tall option to kick to coming forward, and look for the short, wide option. Would be nice to see some of these ones quickly centred for an easier shot on occasion. But we'd just spray that one anyway lol

Not sure I can handle 55,000 essendon and hawthorn nuffies in the one spot, but the youngest has just been told he's playing Auskick at 1/2 time so I can't really say 'no'. Hopefully we can play some attractive football (and get the W).
You can set a good example by pointing out Sicily and saying "When you grow up, be the opposite of that"

Well here we have it...our other Arch-Rivals...The Hawthorn Football Club. This is the one game of the year I always want to win. We owe these flogs a fair bit and victory in front of a big crowd hopefully! Go you Mighty Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back