Preview Essendon vs North Melbourne (12/08/12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
art-svNMELB-420x0.jpg

Run over us? Good one.

Nice try matey, but anyone with any football nous knows that this is a developmental move. Right now Atley shuts down the most dangerous small forward and provides excellent drive off half back. In a few years he will be smashing the living s**t out of opposition midfields.

Keep on baiting that hook though bud.

Cause all the competitions best midfielders spent their early years as a lockdown small defender.

yeah but we were missing pretty much half our team the we lost Crameri in the game and hooker before it.
What were you guys missing?

Well, it was mainly for form rather than injuries, but the side that got flogged by Hawthorn had six changes to the one that beat Carlton, which I think would be our best 22.

v Haw - Black, Cunnington, C Delaney,L Delaney, Edwards, Garlett, Greenwood

v Carl - Anthony, Campbell, Hansen, McMahon, Tarrant, Thomas, Gibson

Obviously we'll be missing Thomas again this week, and Cunnington is back in for Ziebell.

Will be very interested to see how many you bring back this week. Given there could be what, 8 available, how many changes are too many?

A youtube search for "Shaun Atley Essendon" returns nothing.

Also, Cyril Rioli grew up supporting Essendon. Doesn't mean Essendon has any hope of getting him. Melksham has played every game this year despite less than spectacular form (diplomatic way of saying he's been ordinary), so clearly he's in our long term plans. He won't end up at North.

Thats your opinion and thats great, move on!!

I think you'll find the comparison only tends to arise when North supporters are involved. Mainly because they are incredibly insecure. Most of the time, Atley isn't even an afterthought for us. Just another young player with nothing to do with us.

Im defending myself as a supporter of Atley, he is tracking very well. Prior to him coming to our club the so called experts stated that we lacked speed out of defence and we addressed this by drafting the kid and in his second year he repaid our faith in him. We're over the moon!! , we never expected to have Atley available to us when it was our turn.

Congratulations. So basically, Atley is just like thirty other players each draft year, who causes a club to rethink it's pick before taking it.

Remember folks it was Dodoro that stated he was Judd like not me. You guys wanted him and even employed people to work on a presentation for your website.

Sure did. Quality young player, and doing our homework he seemed the likeliest pick available to us at that point. So Dodoro prepared and did a fluff piece for our webiste. Hardly groundbreaking stuff - just happens that our was hacked and the video was made public.

You went for a kid in your opinion was rated higher (Heppell) because he was still available when it was your turn to choose. My question was if your list management team were to choose again, would they still choose Heppell??

Are you kidding? Would we choose again knowing that what we were getting is a player that has outperformed Atley in two out of two years, including picking up a little known award called the Rising Star.....

Yeah sure - we'd give that up.

Do you seriously wonder why North posters are treated with such dismissive scorn?

We jumped at Atley and then we were fortunate enough to get Harper who was our original pick 21 choice at pick 25!!

We had a chance at Kavanagh but we baulked him as we didnt want to risk having him uproot himself out of our team after 2 yrs time and boot off to you guys. He made it very clear that he didnt want us. Ce la vie!!

Scott must've given him the 'why do you deserve to play for North Melbourne' speech....

Ive noticed that Melksham is struggling with form issues ATM whats his contract status?? I bet you guys that we will be eyeing him off as he is a good kid with a promising future, plus he grew up following Nth Melbourne, we want people who want to join us..........we have a product that is exciting to all footballers so we will be chatting to all decent young players as we know we have a positive upturn in success shortly. Travis Boak's manager set up the meeting with us not us jumping on a plane to Adelaide. Players want to play in finals so they'll will be looking strongly at Essendon, Richmond, Adelaide and us for premiership windows openings between say 2014 -2018. You guys expect to peak then and so do we. Expect some bloody good games between the 2 teams in this period.

Every team with half a brain cell between them talks to the management of every decent young kid. North are no more or less active in this respect.

LOL youre joking right?? remember the video that was up on your website welcoming Atley to Essendon??
Im sure its floating around in youtube land...Ive seen it.

He was being sarcastic mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a good lad, all Im saying is that we want people who want us. And have it on record I think Heppell is a great young player.

Doesn't always work that way though. Robert Walls of all people grew up supporting Essendon. Playing for another club tends to do funny things to someone's mindset though- even though Melksham supported North as a kid, you can probably assume that a few years at any other club tends to erode the appeal of playing for his childhood team.

Just the way it is.

Healthy football discussion ......hurts nobody. Last time I looked I thought all players wanted to play in successful premiership sides not rising stars but if you wish to hang onto them, fine. Im leaving now, wont be wishing you luck because I wouldnt mean it.
Win , lose or draw, sundays game deserves "finals type" footy and these are the type of games that we want our players to experience for future reference.

Doesn't always work that way though. Robert Walls of all people grew up supporting Essendon. Playing for another club tends to do funny things to someone's mindset though- even though Melksham supported North as a kid, you can probably assume that a few years at any other club tends to erode the appeal of playing for his childhood team.

Just the way it is.

That's the truth. Once it becomes your profession, plus the camaraderie established in what is a very tight knit working environment, I doubt there's much room for the sentimentality of who you supported as kid. Judd was a Dees fan as a child, but they barely had a look in when he decided to return to Victoria (and who can blame him?)

Hey I just wanted to chime in and just ask if Jetta and Davey have been used as midfielders at all this year?

Thanks! Go Roos!!

Hey I just wanted to chime in and just ask if Jetta and Davey have been used as midfielders at all this year?

Thanks! Go Roos!!
Jetta spends bits of time in the midfield sometimes, but otherwise no

Appreciate the help charlie...........again factual events. Not all opposite posters in this room are trolls, some of us actually do have 2 eyes and see football from a "all teams prospective"

But what does this topic and argument regarding Heppell and Atley have to do with the game this weekend? Why is it that this topic is always brought up by North Melbourne fans? Just for you though, I'll touch briefly on the subject. Both are fantastic young players with all the potential in the world at their disposal. I felt like doing cartwheels the moment I found out that Heppell was coming to Essendon because absolutely nobody expected that he would slip to us. Congratulations on acquiring Atley, I truly hope he goes on to fulfill a fantastic career (minus a premiership medallion) but I'm so pleased and thrilled that we secured Heppell.

Now can we actually have our preview thread somewhat resembling discussion towards the upcoming game? I'm so exasperated because this isn't the banter thread. Of course, if you're an opposition supporter and you wish to offer something constructive, you'll always be welcome. I'm tired of venturing into this thread only to see blatant trolling.

Thanks! Go Roos!!

Yes both.

Opinions vary, I think Jetta is the more useful in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back