Preview Round 6: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Carrara, 11/07/2020 @ 7:40PM

Who won't have less points at the end of the game? (Who wins?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with the Zaka selection for me is not the lack of statistical contribution it's the club accepting his lack of effort. We've all seen wiley old veterans nearing the end find ways to impact a game through sheer desperation to put in.

We aren't getting that here and it's an unacceptable standard being permitted by the match committee, the coaches etc. Just a bad message to the younger group IMO.
That's a fair comment from the outside looking in. I wonder what the coaches are actually asking him to do rolewise. I'd also be curious to see his heat maps from the last few rounds.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That's a fair comment from the outside looking in. I wonder what the coaches are actually asking him to do rolewise. I'd also be curious to see his heat maps from the last few rounds.
I was wondering that same thing after last weeks game. It's hard to imagine what the role could be though? Hard to get any insight when there's none of us experts there in the crowd to observe and report what he's doing of course :)

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Vs Sydney
Screenshot_20200709-204602_AFL.jpg

Vs Carlton
Screenshot_20200709-204634_AFL.jpg

Vs Pies
Screenshot_20200709-204708_AFL.jpg

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
*DISCLAIMER* - i dont think Zaharakis should be in the team, but notwithstanding this....

I think we need to stop drawing a correlation between Zaharakis being left in the side and Redman being dropped. Zakka is a mid-fwd and Redman is a HB. They are not competing for the same list spot.

Redman was clearly dropped for McKenna. Mason has had 8 and 10 disposal in the last two games, and Stephenson owned him in the first half last week. Unfortunately for Redman, half back is our most stacked position and that formline will have you dropped.

Zakka, well i dont know what his role is but we dont have a lot of mid-fwds with experience running around in the scratch matches. Younger guys maybe but no one banging the door down with exposed senior form which buys him some breathing room. If he keeps up the 3 disposal game though we might as well bring in Cahill or Mozzie and send Parish up field or even Guelfi to play that role.

*DISCLAIMER* - i dont think Zaharakis should be in the team, but notwithstanding this....

I think we need to stop drawing a correlation between Zaharakis being left in the side and Redman being dropped. Zakka is a mid-fwd and Redman is a HB. They are not competing for the same list spot.

Redman was clearly dropped for McKenna. Mason has had 8 and 10 disposal in the last two games, and Stephenson owned him in the first half last week. Unfortunately for Redman, half back is our most stacked position and that formline will have you dropped.

Zakka, well i dont know what his role is but we dont have a lot of mid-fwds with experience running around in the scratch matches. Younger guys maybe but no one banging the door down with exposed senior form which buys him some breathing room. If he keeps up the 3 disposal game though we might as well bring in Cahill or Mozzie and send Parish up field or even Guelfi to play that role.
The counter argument is that we played Raz at HB last week, so what is stopping us from sending him forward and bringing in McKenna for Zaka?

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
The counter argument is that we played Raz at HB last week, so what is stopping us from sending him forward and bringing in McKenna for Zaka?
They may want to keep playing Fanta there for the time being. He has a history of his body breaking down after a few games and half back is historically easier on the body to play, so maybe they want to build up his fitness gradually so he doesnt break down in a fortnight with a 5-week soft tissue injury.

I would expect Fanta to spend time at half back seeing that i cant see any defenders on the bench. McKenna sounds like they want him to play half back and so Redman being out of form is in the gun.

Again, i dont agree with it, just trying to think of why they would make the changes they have.

They may want to keep playing Fanta there for the time being. He has a history of his body breaking down after a few games and half back is historically easier on the body to play, so maybe they want to build up his fitness gradually so he doesnt break down in a fortnight with a 5-week soft tissue injury.

I would expect Fanta to spend time at half back seeing that i cant see any defenders on the bench. McKenna sounds like they want him to play half back and so Redman being out of form is in the gun.

Again, i dont agree with it, just trying to think of why they would make the changes they have.
If Fantasia goes forward for Stringer, Zaka stays in.

You'd need Cahill or Begley to come in and take the spot, but Cahill is tiny and we need a marking target. idk what the story is with Begley.

WindyHillZephyr

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If I recall right. Mckenna spent time forward pre season and expressed interest in playing forward. He might have given it a bit of a crack ahead of Zaka.

If I recall right. Mckenna spent time forward pre season and expressed interest in playing forward. He might have given it a bit of a crack ahead of Zaka.
Wouldn't rule it out, Fantasia may stay at half-back/wing.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Redman been ordinary last two weeks but not horrible, would have said He’s been much better than Zaka.

Ok we want McKenna back but why not Zaka out? What is he doing in his mysterious “role” that Redman couldn’t?

Baffling decision for mine.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Come on boys! No mercy to these campaigners!

Like many I'm baffeled by the Zacka inclusion and concerned about the general message it sends to others who are playing so well with intent. But ya better win, kay...

I think Fantasia stays down back anyway, there is no other obvious option to play as our 7th defender named in the side.
The other option is probably Zaka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back