Preview Essendon vs Port Adelaide, Marvel, Saturday 03/08/19 @ 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another big game coming up against an opponent we have generally done well against in recent seasons.

Saturday afternoon time slot, home game and coming off 5 wins in a row... and 7 of the last 8...

We’ve won 9 of our last 10 games at Marvel Stadium & won 8 of our 9 (excluding player ban year of 2016) against Port.

Port have been dangerous this year and their best is well and truly good enough to win this. Some great wins against very good opponents mixed in with some pretty underwhelming losses - sounds like your typical Essendon season!

A short six day break before this one and many expecting us to make a few changes for this game with a few currently expected back.

The Suns performance will mean our chances to win this one will be talked down by the football public... but many of us know our decade long form against lower ranked opponents and not sure how much one can read into the Suns game. Perhaps more than we know at the moment but our form against mid-ranked to higher opponents does stack up this year.

Thoughts on changes? Predictions? etc...

I have 2 members seats in level 1 Aisle 1, I live in W.A so I rarely get to games to sit in my seats. I’ve spoken to the club and they’ve ok’d me to forward them on, so if you’re interested hit me up.
I’ll take $50 for the pair.

In: Hartley, McKenna, Heppell and Fantasia
Out: McNiece, Guelfi, Langford and Snelling.

Hooker needs to start forward. He doesn't have the same impact down back lately. The only way our first halves can be rectified somewhat.
Harsh on Guelfi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has absolutely no bearing on the result of next weekend’s game but it has been nice in recent years to get a bit of a hold on Port in the win/loss stakes.

No need to remind many of you of their dominance of Essendon from 2001-2010.

R16 2001 - 7 point loss @ Footballs Park
R11 2002 - 59 point loss @ Docklands
Semi Final 2002 - 23 point loss @ Football Park
R9 2003 - 50 point loss @ Docklands
Semi Final 2003 - 39 point loss @ Football Park
R1 2004 - 96 point loss @ Football Park
R18 2004 - 40 point win @ Docklands
R9 2005 - 19 point loss @ Football Park
R9 2006 - 60 point loss @ Docklands
R12 2007 - 31 point loss @ Football Park
R7 2008 - 64 point loss @ Docklands
R1 2009 - 41 point loss @ Football Park
R7 2010 - 3 point loss @ Docklands

Funnily enough the one win was in Port’s (only) premiership year. Mark Williams seriously loved beating Sheedy/Essendon and in most cases smashing us. The likes of Tredrea, Dew, Burgoyne brothers, Cornes brothers etc would usually feast on us.

Like I said... no bearing at all on this weekend’s game but has been nice to have their measure of late. Hopefully (?) we can add to it on the weekend.

Port are like a box of chocolates....
If the Dons play like they did tonight against Suns, it will be an arm-wrestle to the finish line

Laverde has to be out before Langford. Still fairly young but has some serious weaknesses in his game. Has very poor hands for a lead up forward is a very poor kick for goal and when he plays further up the ground he can't find it.

Had an absolute shocker just think he is destined to be a player who is very good at VFL level but doesn't have the tools to play good AFL football.

In: Hartley, McKenna, Heppell and Fantasia
Out: McNiece, Guelfi, Langford and Snelling.

Hooker needs to start forward. He doesn't have the same impact down back lately. The only way our first halves can be rectified somewhat.
You're expecting an unfit Heppell to shoulder the midfield rotation of three blokes? Jesus H Christ.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

IN: McKenna, Heppell, Fantasia

OUT: Mcniece, Langford, Snelling

This is what I'd do too. Possibly Guelfi instead of Snelling as the other fringe player in the team although I do enjoy Guelfi's aerial work and his willingness to always put his body on the line. Laverde also didn't do himself any favours with his game today, though I wouldn't drop him just on the one bad game.

Not a fan of bringing in Hartley as an extra tall so that Hooker can go forward. We already have McKernan, Brown and then Stringer as a 3rd tall. Plus Laverde who probably could be a 3rd tall in his own right but is mobile enough to be a medium. If you had Hooker to that Forward line and its too bloody slow. We've seen it time and time again throughout the competition the ultra tall forward line doesn't work well. In fact the only teams I've seen get any success with the 3 big talls are GWS and West Coast. West Coast has very mobile talls so it works for them and a number of very quick small forwards. GWS lack forward 50 pressure and its been a long term weakness for them but have Jeremy Cameron who could be the best forward in the game right now and is plenty quick as well. We simply don't have that level of talent without Daniher.

The only way I'd move Hooker up forward is if McKernan or Brown was injured, or else we'd have to drop Brown which would be insane considering he's kicked 7 goals in his last 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back