Preview Essendon vs Richmond, MCG, Saturday 02/06/18, 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play all of Smack, Stringer, Stewart and Hooker forward? Or does one go out?

I’m unsure how to use Hooker this week.

Its an odd one. This a really interesting week for our defense and selection.

Could Clarke come back in this week at all? I'm not really sure who would come out but he could be a good option to run with Martin / Cotchin in the midfield??

Hooker should play on Caddy and Hurley on Riewoldt.

Caddy is a good player and a dangerous forward but he tends to do his best work above head floating across packs, etc. He's not particularly quick or nimble so he's a good match-up for Hooker. He's effective but he's not like a Fasolo, Jamie Elliott or even Robbie Gray.

I suppose the question is whether we mark harsh calls on Dea and Ridley to bring in Redman and Francis. I don't see any other way of squeezing these guys in. Yes, there are alternatives but I accept that we're not going to gone down certain paths this week.

Maybe Francis is a better option than Ridley to play as more of tall (given that Ridley would probably have to play on Moore).

I think that Redman is the priority this week purely on account of match-ups. We can work out how to bring Francis in next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't even tell you but hopefully it happens this week. We've been doing fine over the couple of weeks without his inaccurate sideways kicks.
Given that Woosha said he was ready, I'd rather play Francis. He's got the aggression (which Hurley has seemingly lost) and we could control the aerial contests with him, Hooker and Ridley down there. Hurley is a tall flanker that stat pads, the past fortnight has shown that he has not been a loss at all.

Exactly, Hurley plays an accountable role against Riewoldt & Hooker plays the interceptor.

Disagree, should be the other way.
Hooker is a much better contested mark, his intercept marking is not at the same level because of his agility.
If you want a reference, see rounds 4-8 when we went back and was lost ..

Given that Woosha said he was ready, I'd rather play Francis. He's got the aggression (which Hurley has seemingly lost) and we could control the aerial contests with him, Hooker and Ridley down there. Hurley is a tall flanker that stat pads, the past fortnight has shown that he has not been a loss at all.
I think most of the players were a bit lost early in the year, Hurley being one of the worst. I'm confident he can get back to his best & we're definitely a better team when he's playing his best football.

Disagree, should be the other way.
Hooker is a much better contested mark, his intercept marking is not at the same level because of his agility.
If you want a reference, see rounds 4-8 when we went back and was lost ..

I don’t think we can go wrong either way. Only reason I went with Hurley on Jack is because he matches up well against him which leaves no logical match up for Hooker apart from maybe Caddy.

I think if you look at rounds 4-8 you’ll be able to find plenty of reasons that we lost, the biggest being the midfields defensive pressure.

Defensive pinch is starting to be felt
We were always due
Hooker, Hurley Ambrose, Ridley, Francis, dea, Redman
We have a good amount of defenders to pick from

Gleeson, Saad, Mckenna, Bags and Hartley. Yes we just need more inside mid for a flag.

FINAL TEAM:
B – McGrath, Hooker, Baguley
HB – Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C – Zaharakis, Z. Merrett, Fantasia
HF – Smith, Ridley, McDonald-Tipungwuti
F – Stringer, McKernan, Stewart
R – Bellchambers, Goddard, Heppell
I/C – Dea, Langford, Guelfi, Laverde
Emergencies – Green, J. Merrett, Clarke, McNiece

IN – Hurley
OUT – Ambrose

Status