VFL Game Day Essendon vs Richmond, Windy Hill, Sunday 08/07/18 @ 2 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon and Richmond meet in a top four clash in the VFL this Sunday, both teams in a run of good form recently, however Richmond are looking extra strong, sitting pretty on top and only losing one game since round 6, however Essendon have only lost the two since round 4. Richmond hold a good recent record against the Dons, winning 3 of the past 4 games against the Bombers.

Essendon had a close 8 point loss to fellow top 4 hopeful Casey on Saturday in conditions, despite the Dons home game, favoured the side placed 2nd on the ladder due to be more like the conditions at Casey rather than Windy Hill. Nick Hind was his prolific best with his run and carry off half back and through the middle, whilst Alex Boyse came back into the side and kicked 2 goals for the Dons.

Richmond smashed top 4 hopefuls Box Hill away from home by 8 goals, a display that put the comp on notice of how well they were going. Corey Ellis and Shai Bolton were excellent through the middle of the ground whilst key forward Callum Moore was wasteful in front of goal, kicking 2.4 in a game he could have really put his stamp on for the Tigers

This could be a real classic like the past two games for the Dons. A win is a must if they want a top 2 spot to secure a home final at Windy Hill for the first week of finals. Dons by 7

Possible side (no senior changes):

Francis - Hartley - BZT
Ridley - Darby - McNiece
Long - Mynott - Merrett
Boyse - Stewart - Houlahan
Younan - Leuenberger - Lavender
Draper - Hind - Clarke
Heppell - Hocking - Green - Sheahan
Lazzaro

Green will be guaranteed a game after not featuring at either level last week so expect him to play this week. Parish is still a week or two away according to the injury list, however if he isn't slot him into Sheahan's spot. I'm guessing we're more likely to hold over a small rather than someone like Francis, Hartley or Stewart given our height already in the seniors.

Team for this week:

Francis - Hartley - McNiece
BZT - Ridley - Dea
Guelfi - Mynott - Clarke
Long - Lavender - Merrett
Green - Stewart - Houlahan
Draper - Langford - Parish

Berry - Collins - Crosbie - Darby
Harrison - Heppell - Hind - Hocking (aka the H's)
Lazarro - McQueen - Sheahan - Younan
23P: Huntly

Strong side. Expect it to translate to something like:

Sheahan - Hartley - Dea
Ridley - BZT - Francis
Long - Mynott - Hind
Houlahan - Lavender - Hocking
Younan - Stewart - Green
Draper - Clarke - Parish
Heppell - Darby - McQueen - Lazarro
Huntly

A little disappointed we didn't go with Grace as the 23rd player. Perfect person to play in this situation. Wouldn't be shocked to see Darby play forward, has done so for Riddell in the past. We seem to be one player short in the forward line. Richmond's put in a weak side for them:

Coffield - Garthwite - Ernest
Menadue - Miller - Morris
McIntosh - Lloyd - Silvestro
Ballard - Coates - Naish
Baker - Balta - O'Sullivan
Coleman-Jones - Stengle - Bolton

Bathie- Credlin - Cusack - Grewar
Hayward - Mannagh - Tanner - Wood
23P: Riley

I'm guessing Bathie, Wood, Grewar and probably Cusack play for them. Coates is more a key defender than key forward and Bathie will fill that role. They have 11 AFL listed players to our probable 14. Should be a good game but I'm still thinking we win.

Last edited:

Might make it down to this if I don't get waylaid at the pub watching the pies game .
Standing next to the Mountain Goat bar at Etihad last week really put a dent in my wallet...

Might make it down to this if I don't get waylaid at the pub watching the pies game .
Standing next to the Mountain Goat bar at Etihad last week really put a dent in my wallet...
You can always watch the AFL inside the Windy Hill social club

Where is Mabior Chol at?

I wanna see the gun Jackson Merrett towel him up again lol
Injured, out for another month

Good to see Parish back - our defense looks great...
Hope team lines up something like;-

Francis Hartley Ridley
Dea Margaret Long
Parish Mynott Hind
Green Stewart JMerrett
Younan Lavender Houlahan

Draper Hocking Clarke

Bench from:
Berry A.Heppell Collins Crosbie
McQueen Sheahan Darby Huntley
Harrison Lazzaro

Disappointing that Richmond get the benefit of their AFL team having already played and so no emergency held out of the team, and we don't. I guess it's just he equivalent of one more injured player out, but it always seems such a waste for the player involved, and it is just a quirk of the fixturing.
I'm not sure who we would hold over this week, maybe Dea. All the other candidates would benefit more from playing VFL than maybe he would.

Disappointing that Richmond get the benefit of their AFL team having already played and so no emergency held out of the team, and we don't. I guess it's just he equivalent of one more injured player out, but it always seems such a waste for the player involved, and it is just a quirk of the fixturing.
I'm not sure who we would hold over this week, maybe Dea. All the other candidates would benefit more from playing VFL than maybe he would.
Suspect it'll be Merrett, much to the chagrin of everyone if Raz is a late out (which I still doubt).

Poor scheduling to clash with the seniors.

Is this streamed or telecast?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty ordinary first quarter there. Kicked 3 goals in junk time to take a handy 25 point lead into quarter time.

Rich 5.3.33
Ess 1.2.8

Houlihan working into it
Hartley doing Hartley things
Clarke busy as usual
Parish getting his hands on the ball
Missing a genuine link up player between the mids and the fwds here. Breaking down badly with some indirect play forward of centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back