Remove this Banner Ad

Macpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 11, 2001
Beyond Melbourne
Other Teams
MIGHTY PIES
Just back from the game and just back on BF after a "reflective holiday" from the main board. Big thanks to mods for letting me back to celebrate the great win today! Very proud of the way the boys held of the best that Bombers had to offer.

i had a feeling that at times the essendon players looked disinterested and wonder if the word is around that Sheeds is out and (apparently) the Rev is being wheeled in to replace him.
No really an end of an era - more than continuation of one 2001-20?? the wilderness years for the club who used to boast that they were always a power. I honestly believe that they are now and are likely to be for some time a pretty average football team

Too many passengers and too many blokes that simply are not good enough. Apart from a patch in the third quarter we played like absolute crap.

I'm very disheartened by today's performance and while I'm not gonna savage anyone in the heat of the moment the axe really needs to be swung on some players at the end of this season.

I hate these stupid questions of where clubs are "at."

The ladder tells all, if you want an answer to that question.

Essendon are 8-8. That's where they're "at."

With a young list I'd expect further improvement next year, but who knows? Everyone thinks their team will improve and EVERYONE gets their predicted ladder wrong, so predictions about the future don't matter. All that matters is the NOW and NOW Essendon is 8-8. That's where they are at.

We just don't have the players aged 24-28 to be a serious threat. These are the players that bring consistant performances week to week. We don't have the solid core of experienced players of Collingwood in the midfield. Players such as Pendlebury and Clarke are allowed to pinch hit while players such as Burns, Lockyer, O'bree, Licuria, Swan and Johnson provide a core. Have a look at our more experienced midfielders that played today: Peverill, McVeigh and Rama.

There is still too much variance between their good and bad footy, there is still a lot of promise, during the third quarter they made the Pies look second rate. The job for the Bombers is to reduce the void between the good and bad footy. When you are 40+ points down then you really make it hard to win a game from there. When teams get a run on the Bombers need to learn to change the tempo and stop the bleeding before the margin balloons out.

Something we have an issue with as well.

There is still too much variance between their good and bad footy, there is still a lot of promise, during the third quarter they made the Pies look second rate. The job for the Bombers is to reduce the void between the good and bad footy. When you are 40+ points down then you really make it hard to win a game from there. When teams get a run on the Bombers need to learn to change the tempo and stop the bleeding before the margin balloons out.

Something we have an issue with as well.

hook line sinker

The biggest difference today was attitude - the Pies turned on to play from the first minute, and thier intensity was there. They were putting us under pressure when they did not have the ball. We turned up from half time onwards only - you can't win a game doing that. I can't blame Sheeds for that - blame the individual players, some looked disinterested today.

We had the players to win but not the attitude. We were rudderless in terms of leadership too - Lloyd's leadership was non-existent and without Hird, there is no one to lead the way.

The biggest difference today was attitude - the Pies turned on to play from the first minute, and thier intensity was there. They were putting us under pressure when they did not have the ball. We turned up from half time onwards only - you can't win a game doing that. I can't blame Sheeds for that - blame the individual players, some looked disinterested today.

We had the players to win but not the attitude. We were rudderless in terms of leadership too - Lloyd's leadership was non-existent and without Hird, there is no one to lead the way.

That's pretty much what I saw too.

Too few picking up their men, too few running to assist their team mate.
Too many running when they were winning the ball, and slackening off when they weren't.
Too many mistakes, too many poor options going forwards.
Like kicking to Lucas with three men on him, or banging to the forward line when no-one was there except Collingwood defenders.

Essendon came out looking tired, probably because they played on the Telstra Dome the last three weeks.

I truly see them becomming like Richmond after 1982.

They just don't have the depth of talent of some other clubs, but they still have one of the best forward lines in the comp when they are up and about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is a totally out there suggestion, but could they look at trading Lloyd?
He isn't the player he once was, but he would still attract alot of attention.

He will probably be retired by the time the Bombers are ready to challenge again.

I know he is the captain, but thats more because of a lack of anyone else, rather than him actually being good at it.

I know this is a totally out there suggestion, but could they look at trading Lloyd?
He isn't the player he once was, but he would still attract alot of attention.

He will probably be retired by the time the Bombers are ready to challenge again.

I know he is the captain, but thats more because of a lack of anyone else, rather than him actually being good at it.

not totally stupid, understand the reasoning completley but just dont think it will happen
some discussed something similar last time lucas was out of contract, thank god we kept him cos hes played his best footy since

I hate these stupid questions of where clubs are "at."

The ladder tells all, if you want an answer to that question.

Essendon are 8-8. That's where they're "at."

With a young list I'd expect further improvement next year, but who knows? Everyone thinks their team will improve and EVERYONE gets their predicted ladder wrong, so predictions about the future don't matter. All that matters is the NOW and NOW Essendon is 8-8. That's where they are at.
not everyone thinks their team will improve. i have read posts by a few Bomber fans that have a less deluded view than yourself Danny. Reckon we drove another nail in sheed's coffin today. you should have done it yourselves when the last contract was over

not everyone thinks their team will improve. i have read posts by a few Bomber fans that have a less deluded view than yourself Danny. Reckon we drove another nail in sheed's coffin today. you should have done it yourselves when the last contract was over
As in not agreeing with you? Ok, Ill throw this back to you. How do you feel about Collingwoods future? Do you rely on an aging midfield core? Do you think that your ruck stocks are good enough for now or into the future?

As in not agreeing with you? Ok, Ill throw this back to you. How do you feel about Collingwoods future? Do you rely on an aging midfield core? Do you think that your ruck stocks are good enough for now or into the future?
clearly need a good young big man to support Josh. I have confidence in our recruiting staff on the basis of their performance in recent years to solve the problem. You have no right to the same confidence given some of the spuds your lots have wasted picks on

clearly need a good young big man to support Josh. I have confidence in our recruiting staff on the basis of their performance in recent years to solve the problem. You have no right to the same confidence given some of the spuds your lots have wasted picks on
Sure, draft another ruckman, wait 4-5 years while he develops and by then the premiership window has passed. The thing is with your ageing midfield core serious contention for the flag may be further away than you expect.

Sure, draft another ruckman, wait 4-5 years while he develops and by then the premiership window has passed. The thing is with your ageing midfield core serious contention for the flag may be further away than you expect.
geez - you must be having nightmares about your lot then!

geez - you must be having nightmares about your lot then!
Have a look at how old our midfield was then compared with yours. We had developing players filling our midfield with the exception of (McVeigh (26), Rama (26) and Pev (28)). Your success this year has as much to do with the consistancy of your older midfielders rather than the strength of your youth.

Have a look at how old our midfield was then compared with yours. We had developing players filling our midfield with the exception of (McVeigh (26), Rama (26) and Pev (28)). Your success this year has as much to do with the consistancy of your older midfielders rather than the strength of your youth.
i have a hunch you haven't watched many of our games - they've both been good

mate..dont bother..youll sit hear, and he'll come out with the same stuff and your wasting your time, just quit and let him enjoy the thread to himself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back