Essendon - where are they at?

Sep 12, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah just like Pendlebury was a reach at 5, Our list is stacked unlike Essendon who have a plethora of forward pockets and ruckmen who you continually try to stuff into a key position. Everyone knows Sheeds picks the players and why they let a guy who doesn't watch the kids all year make the selections is beyond me. Dodoro will be glad to see the back of him and then he'll be will be able to actually pick a player. As the AFL prospectus says 'Rarely are teams with small crack units plus questionable support in flag contention. Unfortunately, this latter scenario is what Essendon's profile looks like since 2002'....'the signs of a quick revival in 2007 are not good' Pucker up buttercup because the Bombers are heading for a crash landing and they're going to hit the bottom hard.

Who would those ruckmen be??

Laycock? Shown some good signs down forward, awesome mark. Hasn't played much though
Hille? Some suggest he'd make a better CHF anyway. Not that he's been played forward though....

Ryder? Oh wait no, he's playing down back.

Points for trying though. You must know alot about our list.

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
was referring to the drafted quintet of cupido, zantuck, alvey, cole, campo..etc at a time when the club was on the slide and in need of rebuilding with youth instead of topping up with discards.

pretty obvious.

It can't be that obvious because in your little tirade you have ignored the fact that we have traded experienced players to improve our draft position every year for the last six years, with the exception of 2004.

In 2001 we traded away Hardwick for a second rounder and a third rounder.

In 2002 we traded away Blumfield, Heffernan and Caracella and received two first rounders and a second rounder.

2003 traded away Jacobs for a top six pick, Alvey came as part of that deal.

In 2005 we traded Ted Richards for a first round draft pick and traded our fourth round pick for Sydney's third round pick.

In 2006 we traded Dean Solomon for two draft picks.

We've given away next to nothing for the "recycled" players, yet traded away experienced players to improve our draft position. We've drafted poorly at times, but we've never drafted experienced players at the expense of kids. We've improved our draft position five times in the last six years.

Try looking at the whole picture.

Fastback

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2006
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It can't be that obvious because in your little tirade you have ignored the fact that we have traded experienced players to improve our draft position every year for the last six years, with the exception of 2004.

In 2001 we traded away Hardwick for a second rounder and a third rounder.

In 2002 we traded away Blumfield, Heffernan and Caracella and received two first rounders and a second rounder.

2003 traded away Jacobs for a top six pick, Alvey came as part of that deal.

In 2005 we traded Ted Richards for a first round draft pick and traded our fourth round pick for Sydney's third round pick.

In 2006 we traded Dean Solomon for two draft picks.

We've given away next to nothing for the "recycled" players, yet traded away experienced players to improve our draft position. We've drafted poorly at times, but we've never drafted experienced players at the expense of kids. We've improved our draft position five times in the last six years.

Try looking at the whole picture.

Thanks for the homework, marks off for being late however.

Here, I'll repeat myself again...

"was referring to the drafted quintet of cupido, zantuck, alvey, cole, campo..etc at a time when the club was on the slide and in need of rebuilding with youth instead of topping up with discards.".

Believe it or not blinkers, all clubs trade off players for various reasons - fact is Essendon/Sheedy continue topping up believing they are the real deal.

Chances are you'll most likely make it 3 years running in the bottom 4 - have a think of why that might be.

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Believe it or not blinkers, all clubs trade off players for various reasons - fact is Essendon/Sheedy continue topping up believing they are the real deal.

Facts are, only Hawthorn has drafted more first year players in that time.

We haven't been ignoring youth. We've gone out and put ourselves in a position to introduce more quality youth.

Macpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 11, 2001
Beyond Melbourne
Other Teams
MIGHTY PIES

We haven't been ignoring youth. We've gone out and put ourselves in a position to introduce more quality youth.
while i admire your loyalty and optimism Longy i think the game is up. average recruiting, poor leadership - all products of an insane decision to re-sign a coach whom the game had past buy but still insisted on calling all the shots. he has done great things for you club but will also be remembered as its destroyer in the post 2000 years

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
while i admire your loyalty and optimism Longy i think the game is up. average recruiting, poor leadership - all products of an insane decision to re-sign a coach whom the game had past buy but still insisted on calling all the shots. he has done great things for you club but will also be remembered as its destroyer in the post 2000 years

Drafting poorly is completely different to ignoring youth.

We haven't been ignoring youth, we've consistently traded into the first round of the draft. We've traded for three first round picks in the last five drafts.

He hasn't destroyed our club at all, he'll leave behind a legacy that demands success.

A new recruiting structure has been put in place, one that led to a very successful drafting period last year.

Don't pretend you know anything about Essendon Football Club.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
So Harry won because Lucas didn't take contested marks? Fact is Lucas read the play far better than Harry.

Lucas has been beaten twice by Harry this year

Lucas kicked 4 goals on the weekend

1 - from that stupid holding the ball rule, where harry was more desperate for the footy, he won the footy then Lucas sat on him and held the ball in while Harry lay on underneath him......the umpire blew his whistle and Lucas stood up with the ball in his hands........soft goal

2 - the ball bounced over a group of players and Lucas ran onto it, wow strong goal scotty!

3 - lonie had his usual fumble Ryder snapped the ball over his shoulder and Lucas was standing alone in the goal square to take an easy uncontested mark

4 - he made a nice lead, and kicked a nice goal

only 1 of his goals were of any value, he had absolutely no presence, and any time the ball was kicked to him Harry didn't let him mark it

Lucas took 2 marks for the entire day!!

T.Cloke up the other end showed how to play as a KP forward, presenting all day, big pack marks, beat three opponents and Lucas was dragged to the backline to play on him in the last quarter. T.Cloke took 11 marks with 4 contested marks!

Harry is a gun, Goldsack looks a ripper, Clarke looks quality

H.Shaw, T.Cloke, Pendles, Thomas are future AA quality type players

The dons have.........Stanton and if ur being generous Ryder

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I see how this works, Rocca had 9 disposals and kicked 4 goals. He beat his opponents.

Lucas kicked 4 and had 17 and was beaten. Well if Scotty is doing that on a bad day, he's a damn good footballer.

What did you think of Dane Swan's game?

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I see how this works, Rocca had 9 disposals and kicked 4 goals. He beat his opponents.

Lucas kicked 4 and had 17 and was beaten. Well if Scotty is doing that on a bad day, he's a damn good footballer.

What did you think of Dane Swan's game?

Rocca is a KP forward, his job is to provide a target and take marks....he took 5 contested marks on Saturday.

Lucas is a KP forward, his job is also to provide a target and take marks......he took 2 marks, 0 contested marks. He had no presence and every time the dons needed him to beat Harry in a contest he failed.

Swan had his worst game for the year

Feb 2, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
Rocca is a KP forward, his job is to provide a target and take marks....he took 5 contested marks on Saturday.

Lucas is a KP forward, his job is also to provide a target and take marks......he took 2 marks, 0 contested marks. He had no presence and every time the dons needed him to beat Harry in a contest he failed.

Afraid I agree with you dopple. Cloke and Rocca stamped authority on the game. Lloyd and Lucas didn't.

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

He got the ball 17 times, a lot of those times he wasn't able to take a mark due to the delivery.

How many times did he pick the ball up around his ankles? I'd hazard a guess that he did that 5-6 times.

An injured Lucas had 17 disposals and kicked four goals. Either you're setting incredibly high standards for Lucas, or incredibly low ones for Harry.

I just noticed you didn't give the kid that beat him any credit. But then again, that would require you to be objective, so why would you...

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Lucas has been beaten twice by Harry this year

Lucas kicked 4 goals on the weekend

1 - from that stupid holding the ball rule, where harry was more desperate for the footy, he won the footy then Lucas sat on him and held the ball in while Harry lay on underneath him......the umpire blew his whistle and Lucas stood up with the ball in his hands........soft goal

2 - the ball bounced over a group of players and Lucas ran onto it, wow strong goal scotty!

3 - lonie had his usual fumble Ryder snapped the ball over his shoulder and Lucas was standing alone in the goal square to take an easy uncontested mark

4 - he made a nice lead, and kicked a nice goal

only 1 of his goals were of any value, he had absolutely no presence, and any time the ball was kicked to him Harry didn't let him mark it

Lucas took 2 marks for the entire day!!

T.Cloke up the other end showed how to play as a KP forward, presenting all day, big pack marks, beat three opponents and Lucas was dragged to the backline to play on him in the last quarter. T.Cloke took 11 marks with 4 contested marks!

Harry is a gun, Goldsack looks a ripper, Clarke looks quality

H.Shaw, T.Cloke, Pendles, Thomas are future AA quality type players

The dons have.........Stanton and if ur being generous Ryder
I know on-ballers are constantly rotated on and off the bench for certain match ups and to get a breather. O`brien was dragged twice on Saturday,not for a breather, just to have a little think about things. Lucas had led him a merry dance. O`brien did beat our boy on Anzac day, Scotty turned the tables on Saturday, comfortably.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
He got the ball 17 times, a lot of those times he wasn't able to take a mark due to the delivery.
Didn't have an influence at all

McVeigh, Watson, Hille got the dons back into the game in the third

3 of Lucas' goals were soft

The holding the ball
Running onto a ball from behind the pack
Cherry Picking a mark in the goal square from a Lonie fumble

His only good piece of forward presenting play resulted in a mark and goal

He was spanked

Lovett kicked 2 goals, i suppose ur happy with his return as a small forward!

How many times did he pick the ball up around his ankles? I'd hazard a guess that he did that 5-6 times.
How many times did he actually beat Harry........once when he took the mark on the lead, that is terrible for a key forward.

An injured Lucas had 17 disposals and kicked four goals. Either you're setting incredibly high standards for Lucas, or incredibly low ones for Harry.
Lucas beat Harry once all day.......i expect more from my key forwards

I just noticed you didn't give the kid that beat him any credit. But then again, that would require you to be objective, so why would you...
was it Hislop??

Whomever it was he was good, Swan had his worst game for the year..........usually when a bloke has a poor game it is because he was beaten by his opponent

Feb 2, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
Lloyd didn't, he was terrible.

Scotty worked extremely hard, but wasn't helped at all by his teammates.

Collingwood's forwards were given every chance by having the ball kicked to their favored side.

When the ball was kicked in long and high, Rocca and Cloke had their name on it. Lucas had one like that and scrapped for his other goals.

He definitely worked hard, probabaly harder than his Collingwood 'counterparts' but the positive effect that Cloke and Rocca had on their team mates when they took marks was way above anthing that Lucas (and Lloyd) managed for the day. Plus the hooas kicked straight.

Longy413

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
McVeigh, Watson, Hille got the dons back into the game in the third

Can't have been. We only have Stanton and Ryder.

How many times did he actually beat Harry........once when he took the mark on the lead, that is terrible for a key forward.

Well if he got the ball 17 times and only beat his opponent once, then Harry is very unaccountable.

Any forward that gets it 17 times has had a good game.

was it Hislop??

Whomever it was he was good, Swan had his worst game for the year..........usually when a bloke has a poor game it is because he was beaten by his opponent

Slattery.

How can you make an assessment on our list and say we only have two good young players if you clearly aren't paying enough attention?

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I know on-ballers are constantly rotated on and off the bench for certain match ups and to get a breather. O`brien was dragged twice on Saturday,not for a breather, just to have a little think about things. Lucas had led him a merry dance. O`brien did beat our boy on Anzac day, Scotty turned the tables on Saturday, comfortably.

Ridiculously low standards set at the dons if Lucas had a win on the weekend

guess at the pies we like to see our KP forwards take some contested marks........something the dons dont bother with.

Lucas played an ok game if he was a forward pocket, but he is a key go to man, and he didn't impose himself on the game or actually ever outmark Harry at any stage

Up the other end Rocca and T.Cloke took 9 contested marks between them!!

Even Wakelin was outmarking Lloyd most of the time!

I would have gone home pissed off with Lloyd and Lucas if i was a Dons fan, but perhaps I want too much from them?

Fastback

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2006
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Ess put themselves in that position by finishing 13th & 15th.

Back