Essendon, where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Right - so mention of “Hird” triggering people to go on about his innocence is ok but not ok for people to say he wasn’t?

I like you as a poster too mate but that’s bullshit

He makes a good point. People see the word 'Hird' and still fire up. Drastically. It's sad.

To be fair, those that genuinely believe Hird did nothing wrong (are there many of those types left?) need to pull their heads out of their arses. He made mistakes. Deserves to be criticised.

Sure - maybe he would have been great if he didn’t turn left instead of right. But that didn’t happen
Great is different kettle of fish to good

Hird took a poor team over from knights and made them competitive (bottom 6 to finals)
I think he and his panel (McCartney very underrated imo) were the right appointments at the time
Someone just needed to keep them hemmed in a little

Right - so mention of “Hird” triggering people to go on about his innocence is ok but not ok for people to say he wasn’t?

I like you as a poster too mate but that’s bullshit

It's totally ok. Just have a think about if it's how you want to spend your time.

He makes a good point. People see the word 'Hird' and still fire up. Drastically. It's sad.

To be fair, those that genuinely believe Hird did nothing wrong (are there many of those types left?) need to pull their heads out of their arses. He made mistakes. Deserves to be criticised.
Paid the price and should be left alone
Digging the boot in after hes left is petty.

If anyone should feel animosity, its essendon fans. Oppo fans really have no claim to carry a grudge

The Big Blue
32 flag history.
Whether between us we could put a competitive side on the park is one question, but you can be sure blue will beat red in every training session

Yep. There'd be a proud history, rivalling Port as the greatest team trundling around.

If anyone should feel animosity, its essendon fans. Oppo fans really have no claim to carry a grudge
but you see I like the Bomber fans with a grudge - the ones without one who post conspiracy theories about his innocence are bonkers...

I’ll admit they trigger me - but anyone who swallows bullshit triggers me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a HTB veteran of old I can confidently say that both sides of the argument had their passionate posters.

Had? Had?? Had???

giphy.gif

Great is different kettle of fish to good

Hird took a poor team over from knights and made them competitive (bottom 6 to finals)
I think he and his panel (McCartney very underrated imo) were the right appointments at the time
Someone just needed to keep them hemmed in a little
I actually like that the AFL requires club drs to adminster injections now. That s**t won’t happen again (club sanctioned anyway)

...well hope so anyway...

This is relevant to the “hemming in” you speak of which arguably will positively influence the whole comp

I was at a bar overseas last week, ran into another Aussie watching AFL on the TVs and asked him who he barracked for. He said GWS, I said what!? How the hell did you end up supporting them???

"I used to barrack for Essendon."

True.

It really is a sad and sorry state of where the club is at, and to be honest, for the casual overseas AFL fan, you can't really blame them for doing that.

At least other Melbourne teams such as St Kilda, WB, North, Collingwood show signs of a competitive streak and can make finals, grand finals, etc.

Essendon are currently looking at an almost 20 year gap of mostly nothingness.

The club just stayed arrogant and forgot to keep up with the times. Mark Thompson said when he stepped into the club in 2010, it was mediocre, things just weren't up to AFL standards of the better clubs. Since then the club built better facilities and there have been some positives amongst difficult times.

Last edited:
I was at a bar overseas last week, ran into another Aussie watching AFL on the TVs and asked him who he barracked for. He said GWS, I said what!? How the hell did you end up supporting them???

"I used to barrack for Essendon."

True.

Yeah there are a lot of "really close followers" of Essendon who jumped ship during the saga.
AKA wanted an excuse to instantly bandwagon onto a winner instead of enduring the tough times.
They'll pop back if we ever win another premiership.

The price for this will never be paid.
The truth would set them free but also destroy them.
They are literally between a rock and a hard place , all of their own making ...
Genuine question but what actually is "the truth"?

I read the letter from Bomber to Evans todays Sun where Bomber implores that the truth be made public.

What is it?

Totally agree. Plenty feel the need to keep taking pot shots. Says more about them, really.

Don't agree. PED's were clearly used and everyone knows it. Guilt was never admitted, no apologies offered for ruining near 3 seasons of footy talking about it.

Then what pissed everyone off more was the AFL media trying to turn the whole affair into some sort of beautiful redemption story that they tried to ram down our throats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back