Essendon will win the 2019 flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah right, yes of course, Merrett is far too small to stop a "big contested beast" type player from getting a clearance...

giphy.gif

yeah man, good call lol.

The "contested beast" is just as much a cliched load of bollocks the other terms you referred to are. Smith and Merrett are "small"? No, they are relatively a little bit shorter than other players. It doesn't really mean that much generally.

Smith was the number 1 pressure player in the whole league. He just broke the league tackle record ffs lol

YEAH BUT CAN HE COLLIDE WITH SOMONE?!?!?

In 06, Lynch kicked 65 goals which is pretty much elite now and borderline back then, and Darren Glass was also AA fullback, so in 06 they had some pretty strong key posts at both ends to go with the midfield.

For Sydney Leo barry down back aswell, probably the greatest undersized defender this side of 2000.

I remember paul roos saying he put massive amounts of work into the West Coast midfield, and i believe he’s the reason Sydney pegged them back abit to their level.

I still rate West Coasts team more, however Sydney still had some great players.

Lynch had a great year but lets be honest he was no superstar then or for the rest of his career and he was helped massively by an absolutely dominant midfield - also note 65 goals in 26 games. I watched a lot of West Coast in that era because I enjoyed their style of play. Their midfield carried their forward line. I always enjoyed the big Q stick but lets not pretend he was a star. He kicked 65 goals in 2006, 52 in 2007 and then after that his next best was 33 goals.

Lynch had a great year but lets be honest he was no superstar then or for the rest of his career and he was helped massively by an absolutely dominant midfield - also note 65 goals in 26 games. I watched a lot of West Coast in that era because I enjoyed their style of play. Their midfield carried their forward line. I always enjoyed the big Q stick but lets not pretend he was a star. He kicked 65 goals in 2006, 52 in 2007 and then after that his next best was 33 goals.
Trust me i didnt rate Lynch that highly after 2007, and knew his stint at Collingwood wasn’t going to go that well. 2.5 goals a game in 06 was still a handy addition to a side that didnt have that key forward the year before

I'm surprised this needs explaining.

Essendon average 12th for contested possessions.

Essendon average 10th for clearances.

Essendon have no contested ball winning beasts.

Imo, Essendon would increase their chances of winning finals if they address this issue. Shiel certainly helps, but it will still be lacking in 2019.

The proviso to this is that there are exceptions to every rule and probably more-so now than ever. West Coast had similar stats and walk away with a flag.

As for your three examples ? Langford has a way to go before he regularly impacts games at the coal face and starts averaging 25+ disposals per game and while fine players Merrett and Smith are small. They're not stopping Josh Kennedy from getting a clearance.

As for being effective both on the inside and outside ? That goes without saying I would have thought.
Totals mean * all. Look at differentials, 5th in clearances and 6th in contested possession.

I really don't see where our weakness is.

We have 2 All-Australian defenders with another on the way (Francis). We have 3 All-Australian midfielders with another on the way (McGrath). An All-Australian key forward who is a genuine Coleman shot this year. Our ruckman Bellchambers had a great season in 2018 and is only behind Gawn and Grundy (and Nic Nat when he actually plays) as the form ruckman of the league. Maybe we could use another good key forward? Another inside mid maybe?

Really think all the pieces are in place for a dominant run here. I can't believe you can get $12 for an Essendon flag. The market obviously hasn't caught on yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't see where our weakness is.

We have 2 All-Australian defenders with another on the way (Francis). We have 3 All-Australian midfielders with another on the way (McGrath). An All-Australian key forward who is a genuine Coleman shot this year. Our ruckman Bellchambers had a great season in 2018 and is only behind Gawn and Grundy (and Nic Nat when he actually plays) as the form ruckman of the league. Maybe we could use another good key forward? Another inside mid maybe?

Really think all the pieces are in place for a dominant run here. I can't believe you can get $12 for an Essendon flag. The market obviously hasn't caught on yet.
You need to calm the hell down JB. It’s good to be positive but throwing away hard earned on a mere wish...

Melbourne fans thinking their mids are 'tough' lmao.
Maybe if our mids shave their heads and get shi*house tats like Jones they can be considered tough. One of the worst captains in the league and he puts on a fake tough guy act.

\
We don't, but neither did West Coast. Richmond don't really excel in midfield stats either. I think we're up there in every other part of the ground. Midfield obviously still our weakest point, but not as big as it was in the past.

Gladly- with supporters of your calibre no wonder the organization you support is unequivocally fked.

From an Essendon supporter....an Essendon supporter.
It may fly from a Hawks, West Coast, Geelong or even a Swans supporter.
But from an Essendon supporter......
FMD, when was the last time your lot won a final? Did you sleep through the ******* drugs scandal?
Glass houses champ.

From an Essendon supporter....an Essendon supporter.
It may fly from a Hawks, West Coast, Geelong or even a Swans supporter.
But from an Essendon supporter......
FMD, when was the last time your lot won a final? Did you sleep through the ******* drugs scandal?
Glass houses champ.
John Howard still had a few years to go as PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back