Club Focus Essendon 2020 - Caldwell, Hund, Wright, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Eyre, Brand

AFL Club Focus

What is the biggest priority at Essendon?

• Key forwards

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Key defenders

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Big mids

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Ruck division

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

We. Are. Essendon. We are Ess-en-don.

This is a Dons-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Essendon are:
- 11th tallest, averaging 188cm
- 10th heaviest, averaging 86kg
- 4th oldest with an average age of 24.4 years
- 14th most experienced, averaging 62.2 career games

Our picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
2nd round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 27)
2nd round pick (tied to GWS - currently pick 33)
3rd round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 45)
4th round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 63)
4th round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 65)
5th round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 81)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

We'll have four players over 30 by the end of the year, but two of those are in the VFL and out of contract. Mostly we have a big heap of 25-27 year olds running around, so the higher average age is not really a big issue for us.

The greatest problem I think, is in the ruck division. We finished last year's recruitment season with five ruckmen, three of whom were on the rookie list. Bellchambers has been our #1 ruck all year, but he'll be 30 in a couple of days. McKernan is a bit undersized in the ruck, he's gone forward to plug holes created by injury this year and done quite well there. On the rookie list we've had one retire from repeated injuries (Lavender), one did an ACL (Draper) though the reports are that St Kilda is trying to poach him anyway, and the other guy, Zac Clarke, is clearly not up to scratch (desperate times...).

Outside of that we may need a bit more cover in the tall divisions, given we couldn't keep the KPDs on the park last year and this year the KPFs are down for the count. And we can always use another inside mid.

Anyone want to have a stab at who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

Do you see the gaps a little differently than I do? How should we look to fill those gaps, via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
What Essendon have going for them is that they don’t have any upcoming retirements for a few years of important players that they need to replace. They have 3 or 4 years at least to get things right and have a go at winning a premiership.

They’ve invested big in trades over the last couple of years, this year they need to look for value and throw their hat into the ring by targeting Brodie and Patton just off the top of my head. I also reckon they should bring back Paddy Ryder on the cheap if he agrees to move.

I don’t like the Jack Martin link at all. It’ll cost them more than you’d think and I doubt he improves them at all. If they want to spice up the forward line, I reckon Riley Knight is better defensively and would be much cheaper.

Ironic that the spreadsheet won’t open🤪

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Works fine for me. They do take a minute to load because they're large files and I have a lot of published spreadsheets hosted in my account which Google doesn't seem to like very much.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
4th oldest, 14th most experienced.....ffs

List of priorities;
1 - height. Need a ruck and another tall equally at home forward as he is rucking.
2- Small forward. Raz stays or goes, more creativity and tackling pressure when the ball comes to ground is required.
3 - A mid. Depth isn't great and there aren't a whole lot of kids coming through. Not sure the contested beast is that big a problem that you trade the farm away, but depth in the inside would be handy.

Retirements: Z.Clarke, Baguley. Possibly Myers but could stay on as back up whilst coaching the kids at VFL. Lavender has already retired
Delistings: Long, Dea, McNiece.
Trades: Draper may take the Saints cash. Hartley may look for opportunity. Fantasia will carry a ? mark every season now.

Moves;
Draper to Saints for 2019 2nd.
Saints and Dons 2019 2nd into Dons 2019 1st from GWS
Greenwood/Brodie/Sier via trade or Ellis via Free Agency.
1 of Sean Darcy, Darcy Cameron, Archie Smith or Nicholls via trade or FA plus 1 of Ladhams or Frampton. Primarily to play forward, but as further depth in the ruck division

In addition to getting Smith and Daniher back from injury

Potential best 22
B Gleeson Hooker Hurley
HB McKenna Ambrose Saad

C Darcy Parish Heppell
Merrett Shiel Smith

HF Fantasia Daniher Tippa
F Laverde Bellchambers Stringer

B Francis McGrath Redman Brodie/Sier/Greenwood

E: Langford, Guelfi, D Clarke

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What Essendon have going for them is that they don’t have any upcoming retirements for a few years of important players that they need to replace. They have 3 or 4 years at least to get things right and have a go at winning a premiership.

Cale Hooker has to slow down soon and he'll be a huge loss

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Won't lose his contested marking nor his general footy smarts. I reckon he'll still be around and playing good footy for another 2 or 3 years at least.

Yeah it’s one of those instances where a players flaws can be exposed by the rest of the team not being up to scratch, but still be a weapon when everyone else is capable aka Hawkins before half way through last year.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In terms of the other way, I think there are 2 big list areas clubs should raid - Richmonds small forwards and Essendons half backs.

Saad, McKenna, Redman, Ridley, Gleeson. You've got McGrath and Guelfi who have versatility but can play there.

At least 1 and probably 2 will find it difficult to be in a full strength Essendon side. All should get a chance at AFL level. Considering Saad and McKenna are safe, surely another one can be pried away for games (would be Ridley most likely but maybe Redman if salary comes into it, not just games opportunity).. Redman discussing a new contract but does his last month encourage another club to up an offer?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
In terms of the other way, I think there are 2 big list areas clubs should raid - Richmonds small forwards and Essendons half backs.

Saad, McKenna, Redman, Ridley, Gleeson. You've got McGrath and Guelfi who have versatility but can play there.

At least 1 and probably 2 will find it difficult to be in a full strength Essendon side. All should get a chance at AFL level. Considering Saad and McKenna are safe, surely another one can be pried away for games (would be Ridley most likely but maybe Redman if salary comes into it, not just games opportunity).. Redman discussing a new contract but does his last month encourage another club to up an offer?

Ridley is being played middle and half forward at VFL level. They’ll fit.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Retirements/delistings: Bags, Myers, Long, Dea (rookie), Lavender (Cat B). Maybe Houlahan. Unlikely: Zlarke
In: Snelling, Draper

Picks: 2 ND, 2 rookie

The spreadsheet is wrong on Long, he's on the senior list. I think Zlarke is safe unless we can guarantee someone better to replace him. He's not too bad as a #3 ruck, there aren't many good ones going around. The other player at risk (Houlahan) has shown a bit now and then at VFL level, but he's a long way from AFL level. With only a handful of players who are obvious candidates to leave, he might be cut if we thought we could get someone better than him, or needed the list spot. For example, if nobody asks to leave and the players above are delisted, we need to delis a 4th to put Snelling on the list. So it could very well be goodbye Houlahan.

As far as at risk players, I think Ridley, Laverde, Mutch could easily look around for more opportunities. They've all had a sniff at AFL this year, but are nowhere near locks and might/will struggle to get games with a full team. Of those, only Ridley probably has any trade value, and would be the only one I'd be pushing to keep.

As far as players being poached, well you never know where that will come from. Raz, Draper and Parish have been talked about, but hopefully they all stay. Obviously trading plans can change if someone asks out.

In my view, Draper's injury status is a huge question mark over the side and list. He was absolutely marked down to be our future #1 ruck, and IMO could have had an O'Brien type effect if he had come in when Belly was injured. Instead, he's done an ACL and you have no idea how or exactly when he'll come back. Does this mean he won't really be ready to play AFL until 2021 now? If so, then we desperately need some ruck cover for Belly. If that is someone durable, you can replace Zlarke, but if it is someone uncertain you may need to keep Zlarke around.

The icing on the rubbish cake is that Draper is in his third year as a rookie. So we have to promote him to the main list this year. That really ties our hands, since if we do that, and want Snelling, we pretty much have to delist Houlahan. That would still only give you 2 ND spots (the two second rounders) to do anything with, and they must be taken to the draft. So our hands are tied a bit from a list management POV due to how good our depth is going! Obviously if we do lose a Laverde or Mutch, that would simplify things.

The priorities from those two picks are however, potentially another ruck, and either a small forward or midfielder. In a perfect world we'd get a ruck/forward in one slot.

Remember, compared to the current team we effectively get Smith and Stewart back next year.

Langford is a weird one where if another team went hard for him I probably wouldn't complain either!

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Player retention is most important, quality ruck between 24-28 would be good.

Francis, Parish, Tippa, Draper, DClarke, Redman, Brown, Hartley, Mynott. Keep all them and hit the draft.

Would look at Brodie if we wanted another inside mid.
Think GCS have got Brodie back on track and would be reluctant to trade him now.

If Raz is eventually going to leave, a swap for one of the Crouch brothers could be a plan.
Other option is Brayshaw, but have zero idea who we'd give up for him. Dees need pace and creativity. I can't see us giving up any of ours.
None of these seem likely.

If we could cap dump a little, another GWS gun in Cogs would be nice :)
Or they can have all our picks for the next 2 years for Taranto :D

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Retirements/delistings: Bags, Myers, Long, Dea (rookie), Lavender (Cat B). Maybe Houlahan. Unlikely: Zlarke
In: Snelling, Draper

Picks: 2 ND, 2 rookie

The spreadsheet is wrong on Long, he's on the senior list. I think Zlarke is safe unless we can guarantee someone better to replace him. He's not too bad as a #3 ruck, there aren't many good ones going around. The other player at risk (Houlahan) has shown a bit now and then at VFL level, but he's a long way from AFL level. With only a handful of players who are obvious candidates to leave, he might be cut if we thought we could get someone better than him, or needed the list spot. For example, if nobody asks to leave and the players above are delisted, we need to delis a 4th to put Snelling on the list. So it could very well be goodbye Houlahan.

As far as at risk players, I think Ridley, Laverde, Mutch could easily look around for more opportunities. They've all had a sniff at AFL this year, but are nowhere near locks and might/will struggle to get games with a full team. Of those, only Ridley probably has any trade value, and would be the only one I'd be pushing to keep.

As far as players being poached, well you never know where that will come from. Raz, Draper and Parish have been talked about, but hopefully they all stay. Obviously trading plans can change if someone asks out.

In my view, Draper's injury status is a huge question mark over the side and list. He was absolutely marked down to be our future #1 ruck, and IMO could have had an O'Brien type effect if he had come in when Belly was injured. Instead, he's done an ACL and you have no idea how or exactly when he'll come back. Does this mean he won't really be ready to play AFL until 2021 now? If so, then we desperately need some ruck cover for Belly. If that is someone durable, you can replace Zlarke, but if it is someone uncertain you may need to keep Zlarke around.

The icing on the rubbish cake is that Draper is in his third year as a rookie. So we have to promote him to the main list this year. That really ties our hands, since if we do that, and want Snelling, we pretty much have to delist Houlahan. That would still only give you 2 ND spots (the two second rounders) to do anything with, and they must be taken to the draft. So our hands are tied a bit from a list management POV due to how good our depth is going! Obviously if we do lose a Laverde or Mutch, that would simplify things.

The priorities from those two picks are however, potentially another ruck, and either a small forward or midfielder. In a perfect world we'd get a ruck/forward in one slot.

Remember, compared to the current team we effectively get Smith and Stewart back next year.

Langford is a weird one where if another team went hard for him I probably wouldn't complain either!
Essendon should go for that ( Darcy Cameron ) Ruck support for Draper once TBC retires at the end of next year. if i was also Essendon i would Trade Mynott , i would consider trading M,Brown . i would Trade Houlahan, ( the club should get something for him ) someone like Hawthorn would probably look at him. Collingwood Need speed ( something they lack in )

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Essendon should go for that ( Darcy Cameron ) Ruck support for Draper once TBC retires at the end of next year. if i was also Essendon i would Trade Mynott , i would consider trading M,Brown . i would Trade Houlahan, ( the club should get something for him ) someone like Hawthorn would probably look at him. Collingwood Need speed ( something they lack in )
We wouldn't get a bag of chips for Mynott, Brown and Houlahan combined. And we wouldn't want to trade the first two.

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We wouldn't get a bag of chips for Mynott, Brown and Houlahan combined. And we wouldn't want to trade the first two.
you cant always expect to get a 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder, delisting is easy but you dont get anything when you Delist a player, im thinking Essendon would at least get a 4th rounder of Houlahan. maybe a 3rd for Mynott, , Browni is better up Forward than in Defence from what i seen. so some club that could use a good backup Forward would possibly look at Brown. im thinking you'd get maybe a 3rd rounder for Brown.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
you cant always expect to get a 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder, delisting is easy but you dont get anything when you Delist a player, im thinking Essendon would at least get a 4th rounder of Houlahan. maybe a 3rd for Mynott, , Browni is better up Forward than in Defence from what i seen. so some club that could use a good backup Forward would possibly look at Brown. im thinking you'd get maybe a 3rd rounder for Brown.
Houlahan was a 3rd or 4th round pick two years ago that has done nothing. If another club wants him they'll get him for a nominal pick.

Mynott is a rookie with 0 games under his belt. Have a look what we got when Jenkins wanted out. SFA. But why would we delist him when he's one of our most promising youngsters in the VFL???

Brown has played a key role for us forward for two years. Again, why would we want to let him go? But if he did ask to leave, as you say we *maybe* get a third rounder. Personally, I don't see a "maybe 3rd rounder" as being much more value than a bag of chips.

Have a look at what we got for Colyer.

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Houlahan was a 3rd or 4th round pick two years ago that has done nothing. If another club wants him they'll get him for a nominal pick.

Mynott is a rookie with 0 games under his belt. Have a look what we got when Jenkins wanted out. SFA. But why would we delist him when he's one of our most promising youngsters in the VFL???

Brown has played a key role for us forward for two years. Again, why would we want to let him go? But if he did ask to leave, as you say we *maybe* get a third rounder. Personally, I don't see a "maybe 3rd rounder" as being much more value than a bag of chips.

Have a look at what we got for Colyer.
why your better to let Brown Go? Speed. BZT being Young he'll have that. 2 Teams come to Mind that would more than likely want Mynott, an thats Collingwood an Hawthorn, both need speed. how do you think Essendon won against the Crows? Speed , you got a 4th rounder for Colyer but he also wanted to Go Home afaik, i dont think Colyer was worth anything more than what Essendon got for him. The Crows would probably want Houahan or at least have a look at him.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
why your better to let Brown Go? Speed. BZT being Young he'll have that. 2 Teams come to Mind that would more than likely want Mynott, an thats Collingwood an Hawthorn, both need speed. how do you think Essendon won against the Crows? Speed , you got a 4th rounder for Colyer but he also wanted to Go Home afaik, i dont think Colyer was worth anything more than what Essendon got for him. The Crows would probably want Houahan or at least have a look at him.
Um, do you know which players you're talking about? Brown is a workhorse forward, with one of the best engines in the team. He's a link up player, and his ability to work defenders into the ground was shown to good effect last Friday. BZT isn't particularly fast, and he's a KP defender. Why are you comparing them?

Mynott is an inside midfielder. He isn't slow, but he ain't quick. Decent above his head and is being groomed to also play a bit forward. But not fast. Collingwood don't need him, Hawthorn might but it isn't that usual to poach untried players. Its only his second season on the rookie list.

And I repeat, Houlahan was a late pick who hasn't shown anything. He's also not fast. He's a small who plays tall, a bit like Membrey. He's averaging about 9 disposals a game at VFL level because he goes missing too much. He's a nice set shot for goal, but doesn't have enough shots. Most Essendon fans I know think he's a very good chance to be delisted. If the Crows were interested for some reason, they'd get him for free. He wouldn't speed them up at all.

If you think other teams want to poach our VFL "speed", the players are McNiece, Hams and Mozzie. The last two were drafted last year, are contracted for next year, and ain't going anywhere if we can help it. McNiece is on the Cat B rookie list. If someone was interested (and I think they should be for at least depth), we'd probably let him go for free and the chance to play, with our thanks for staying on the Cat B list for these years. Long is also decent speed, but he's going to be delisted. Plays decent VFL level defence after 5 years on the list, but doesn't look like AFL level.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
One would think some names will be on the table.

Langford & Laverde. Once highly touted draft picks, one has struggled to get his body right. The other is shot for confidence.
Both would flourish, imo, in a better system than Essendon can provide at the moment.
I do think Caracella could be a god send for Langford as a similar player in his day.

Zaharakis. Dev Smith will replace him in the side. Has coasted for too long at Essendon. If he has another level to reach, he won't reach it here.

TBC - Seems odd given Draper is coming off an ACL and Clarke is the next ruck. But he's still a very good ruck and presence in the middle. A team in need of a ruck that are contending would do well to have a look for the next 2 years. You will need a backup though (GWS?)

Hooker - In the same basket as TBC. He's a genuine leader and quality FB/swingman. But it's a long shot we contend while he's still playing. One i'd hate to lose but wouldn't begrudge chasing a flag

Hurley - As above, but with a longer career ahead of him. Wouldn't trade both KPD's (unless someone ridiculously good was coming in).

Hartley - Has shown he's good enough for AFL, but is behind Hurley/Hooker in our side.

And some we may not get a choice with - but if we lose, our forward line is completely gone.
Tippa - At his best a game changer. Great user of the ball, tackler and a goal kicker. If the offers come in, he may opt to take them

Fantasia - Injured for two seasons now (which i put down to our mismanagement). Elite small forward who can play up the ground. Get him fit and he's a gun.

Daniher - As with Fantasia.

Francis - Still a big fan of this kid. He's a defender. And we should play him there. When we did he started to build some good games. If we keep him, we can't stuff him around playing him forward.

Won't begin to predict value. Too many factors.

Back