Universal Love Essendon's Country Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Seems the club is having a competition on the website allowing people to pick the club's best team from outside metropolitan cities.

Minimum requirement is 50 games.

Here's my go:

B: G. Wanganeen, R. Andrews, M. Johnson
HB: B. Duckworth, I. Shelton, N. Daniher
C: R. Burgess, L. Baker, M. Long
HF: T. Daniher, R. Merrett, S. Lucas
F: A. Ezard, J. Coleman, D. Shaw
R: B. McLure, T. Watson (C), J. Birt
Int: M. Neagle, D. Heppell, A. Epis, N. McDonald

Have a go I reckon.

You'd think they'd do this in the week of round 4, when the real country match is being played.

Seems the club is having a competition on the website allowing people to pick the club's best team from outside metropolitan cities.

Minimum requirement is 50 games.

Here's my go:

B: G. Wanganeen, R. Andrews, M. Johnson
HB: B. Duckworth, I. Shelton, N. Daniher
C: R. Burgess, L. Baker, M. Long
HF: T. Daniher, R. Merrett, S. Lucas
F: A. Ezard, J. Coleman, D. Shaw
R: B. McLure, T. Watson (C), J. Birt
Int: M. Neagle, D. Heppell, A. Epis, N. McDonald

Have a go I reckon.
No A.Daniher is a bit rough...

Neagle , T. Watson, N. Daniher, T. Daniher, Baker, Hawker, Roger, Longy, Heppell, Heard, Ezard, Lucas..

Chris Daniher...Mark Johnson from Sunbury is pushing it.

Hardwick from Upwey.. That country innit?

Sunbury might have been considered separate say 25 years ago. It's got a suburban train now, though. It ain't country. Upwey's had a suburban train since 1962 and it's before Belgrave.

image.jpg
Nah, far outer suburbs.

Yeah just joking..I grew up around Mt Dandenong. Those grounds up the mountain were shockers in the day. Monbulk, Olinda, Montrose etc.. Mud pits of hell.

Old Ron would have to be our most 'country' player ever ( before TD and Heppell).

The story of one weekend when he raced back home after a game to do some rabbit shooting and heavy drinking for two days and turned up at training still pie eyed. His teamates hid him from Sheeds at training and he got through it undetecte haha.
#trainingwhilestilldrunk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those from the team of the century from the country are:
  • Gavin Wanganeen
  • Reg Burgess
  • Michael Long
  • Terry Daniher
  • John Coleman
  • Tim Watson

Dick Reynolds played for Woodlands which is past Tullamarine, I doubt it was considered city back then but I haven't included him because that team was part of the EDFL back then.

Frank Maher played for Lilydale which would have been considered country then however it isn't now.

Jason Johnson from Kilmore would have to be in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back