Roast Essendon's Early 2018 Form - aka the holy **** how did we lose to Carlton thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ObVrN-sAXXKNWWpc2q5FyuzMXUFhzZKE6vr-J2KVS6ruyUuIt6it5lL2MPKdSk3AJ0I4jggMy_GvQaxIx1tNVLNxjxSn8e_ddB1UdHw=w500-h208-nc
Yeah but we lost to these mofos so

giphy.gif

We were in a terrible rut when we lost to them. It all started Anzac Day when we were touched up by the Pies I reckon. I really thought something was not right with Daniher that day. Then Melbourne n the Hawks easily accounted for us, Daniher only managed 2 goals during that 3 game period. Finally they realise he is injured and rest him against the Blues but to little to late, we were so low on confidence we were easy pickings for Carlton then. Glad we have turned things around a little during the last month or so

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We didn't tackle them. After seeing the pressure put on St K last night and how Carlton wilted it - is amazing that we just didn't do the thing that requires effort regardless of your skill level.
We got what we deserved.
But my god they are terrible!

We didn't tackle them. After seeing the pressure put on St K last night and how Carlton wilted it - is amazing that we just didn't do the thing that requires effort regardless of your skill level.
We got what we deserved.
But my god they are terrible!

91 tackles.
We did tackle. Our pressure was actually pretty good. But we were sloppy, couldnt finish and they were up for the fight. Was early in the season and their kids werent banged up and sore.

I dont get why people focus on this game. Maybe its the unhealthy obsession with Carlton. Yes we lost but we also lost to a pathetic bulldogs and a freo team that isnt much chop.
We lost to a major rival that always lifts for us. That 1 game didnt cost us finals. That entire 7 game stretch did. Instead of focusing on the loss focus on the form we have shown since.

Or dwell on it and be a bunch of miserable fans. Jesus i wonder if some people like this game at all when their team isnt winning. Or is it just the fact a team you say you support that when it wins you get to feel somehow included in that which you enjoy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the 4 day ANZAC day break, kinda messed us up. The Wednesday ANZAC day games are not helpful for playing good consistent footy and its no coincidence that in the games after that we really stunk it up. Playing 3 games in 11 days or whatever it is, is just really difficult to handle. Our confidence just ebbed really low during that period and we would have lost to anyone.

There were some other problems, new players took time to find their feet at Essendon but as they were playing major roles it had a fair impact on the team plus implementation of new gamestyle. Our midfield did not work well defensively early in the year but it has massively improved as time went on and I think a lot of it was structural issues.

Daniher playing injured hurt us massively (both in terms of being crap on field and in making his groin issues worse) and Fantasia was injured and then very underdone during the early season. Merrett came in with his concussion issues and being heavily tagged and it took a while for him to work through it. Basically important players weren't able to play their best. Tippa also played carrying something early season and some games could barely run. Our forward line was left miles below its full strength.

Because we sucked really badly at the time and football isn’t a binary scale where the better side always prevails.

I swear some of you have masochistic tendencies with how often you keep obsessing about this loss.

Maybe we have some sort of contract that we have to lose to carlton at least every couple of years no matter how short they are. Because it keeps the blues fans interested so that they all don't abandon ship.

What’s done is done. The Carlton game was the kick up the backside we needed and we haven’t looked back since. As long as we don’t have similar losses next year I’m fine with how we’ve progressed since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back