Essendons super easy draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Including next week against melbourne Essendon will have played 7 of the bottom 8 sides in the first 10 weeks. Funnily enough they seem to have performed better against the few top sides while having some close ones against bottom 8.

To me it shows we're not quite there yet.

Switched on some weeks and switched off others. Just so happens our poor weeks have been against poorer teams.

And not that it matters but Geelong will have played 7 out of the bottom 9 in the first 10 weeks.

I was just thinking to myself gee Essendon travelled to GWS/GC so 2 of their away games are essentially byes. It got me thinking where else do they travel. It is now apparent that Essendon have been gift wrapped a top-4 and home final by the afl.

Essendon away from Melbourne - 5 games
GWS
GC
Port
Crows
Freo

The only challenge will be the Crows. No West Coast, Sydney or Brisbane away. Dont have to play Geelong twice.
Congratulations on the top 4 finish.

Thank you.

All we can do is beat everyone we play. That includes Carlton, Richmond and West Coast. All with injuries (before you mention the injury predicaments of those we have played). And our only loss was by 1 point and we played poorly on that day.

I was just thinking to myself gee Essendon travelled to GWS/GC so 2 of their away games are essentially byes. It got me thinking where else do they travel. It is now apparent that Essendon have been gift wrapped a top-4 and home final by the afl.

Essendon away from Melbourne - 5 games
GWS
GC
Port
Crows
Freo

The only challenge will be the Crows. No West Coast, Sydney or Brisbane away. Dont have to play Geelong twice.
Congratulations on the top 4 finish.

You do realise that Hawthorn only play away 3 times interstate? And that these interstate trips are well spread out? The other times Hawthorn play at home in Tasmania, or in Melbourne. These types of threads are pathetic, and maybe if Hawthorn didn't lose to Geelong every time, playing them twice wouldn't be such a problem.

As much as I've enjoyed the transition from West Coast ducking to Essendon having a gifted draw, some of you people need to just calm down and accept that maybe some teams are playing some great footy currently and Essendon might very well be at the top of the heap.

Agree, im not sure why people think bombers have had an easy draw at all , Bombers are a good side .

OMFG :rolleyes:

Bombers have already faced......

......North; who were supposed to be busting into the eight at our expense

......Blues, who were undefeated premiership favourites going into the match with Channel 7 promos declaring "can the red hot blues go 4-0"

.......Pies on Anzac Day

.......West Coast, undefeated and premiership favourites

.......Richmond, who the week AFTER losing to us and Bannister are now the 'it' side of the comp

Nobody would give a toss about our draw if everything had gone to script and we were sitting at 5-4 or 4-5.

Instead we're winning, and for those that fail to comprehend why here's a scoop:

We're better than most of the teams we've played.

With some help yes. :D

Like most Vic teams that are playing well their draw looks comparatively easy yes

Comparitive to what?

I'm guessing the terribly hard draw the interstate sides have because they travel more often.

Despite the numerous threads discussing and showing that extra travel is heavily offset by the considerable home ground advantages enjoyed by non vic sides.

Including next week against melbourne Essendon will have played 7 of the bottom 8 sides in the first 10 weeks. Funnily enough they seem to have performed better against the few top sides while having some close ones against bottom 8.

Wow, let's take an arb point in the season and base the full season on that.

Did you know, after round 7, Essendon were sitting on 6-1, after playing 3 top 8 teams and 4 bottom 10 teams!

Just a third of the year through, and we'd played just under half of the other top8!! :eek:

You can only beat who's you're up against.

they have had a fairly easy draw so far in terms of teams faced and travel, also got a bit lucky to have faced west coast at their absolute weakest.

slightly inflated how well they are sitting at the moment, doesn't take away from how well they are playing though, didn't need any luck when they demolished us

they have had a fairly easy draw so far in terms of teams faced and travel

Not too far off what the Blues have faced.

Ess Only
North
Port
GC
West Coast

Car Only
Fremantle
St. Kilda
Adelaide
Melbourne

Both
Richmond
Collingwood
GWS
Brisbane

I might have worked out better for the Bombers with Adelaide improving, but really when comparing draws, the difference is that of Port vs Fremantle.

The fixture is more complicated than people think. The AFL has a system that insures that teams from different cities/states play an even amount of home and away games against each other over a 6 year period.

Oh, so that's why Hawthorn hasn't played Carlton twice in th H&A since 2006. Don't get sucked in by the AFL spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draw is currently why I'm still skeptical of their chances this year, the start was balanced and the have done very well, however, the second half is where they prove themselves. A tough run home and almost all their easy games are done.

Are they up for it? We'll see. If you want to tout easy Draws Adelaide has had, and will continue to have, a very good draw for 2012. Essendon have a middle of the road sort of draw in ny opinion.

If you look at the fixture in its entirety, you will realise that it isn't "super easy" at all.

Not only do we only play GWS & GCS once each, we play them both away - one of only two clubs to do so. Now while most clubs would still rate this as a win anyway it's still significantly more difficult to travel and win than perhaps playing them at home. We also only play the two other bottom 5 sides (Brisbane & Melbourne) once for the season.

The thread just sounds like another pathetic reason to discredit Essendon on their season so far. The footy they have played most weeks (except for perhaps the Gold Coast game, which we won anyway) would of beaten most sides.

hahaha bombers :eek:

but seriously, look at the second half of their draw after bye week and then come back and tell us if it's easy. They will get a good prep run for the finals :thumbsu:

With the fixture as it is now, there are number of different ways you can spin it to make it look good or bad. It's a balancing act.

Anybody with half a brain* understands there are pros and cons to each teams' draw, and the advantages and disadvantages for each team in relation to one another tend to balance out by the end of the season - for the most part. Who you play, who you play twice, where you play them, when you play them,
who you don't play etc......nobody wins or loses out in every category.

*The OP does not meet this criteria.

It's funny how you will never hear a team who are meeting or exceeding expectations complain about the draw.... It really is a comfortable excuse for underachievers.

Could have sworn there was a thread before the season began which had a ladder of toughest to easiest draws in the league, with Essendon sitting with the 8th hardest draw.

Thats where we finished last year on the ladder, seems fair enough.

It goes around, last year our draw was probably the toughest of anyone's.

At the end of the day, to win a premiership you have to be genuinely one of the top twos sides of the 18. Draws don't mean s**t if you ain't in that category.

I would love us to play the Suns or Giants more than once in a season..........like Norf

What goes around comes around. Last year we had the toughest draw. We played four of the top seven twice and only one of the bottom four twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back