Essendon's win the most pyrrhic of victories?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tremendous fightback from their team tonight. Coaches and players. Only the Bombers' haterz could disagree with the notion that we just saw one of the great comebacks - fightbacks - of AFL history.

The question is whether it will also go down as one of the greatest pyrrhic victories of all time.

Fletcher: Going? Improved the team once he put on the vest. A champion of the game but this might be looked back upon as the match that symbolised when the top flight had finally gone past him.
Hurley: Gone? Anzac Day is the least of this young man's troubles. A tremendous talent who looks less and less likely will ever reach his peak, with a body that keeps letting him down time after time.
Ryder: Goneski. Will miss Anzac Day. A quick calculation suggests to me that he might have racked up enough activation points to miss four weeks (w/o taking into account priors or early pleas).

With matches against St. Kilda, Collingwood and Geelong to come, is it possible Essendon will begin their slide much earlier than usual this season? If so, regardless of what happens off-field, could this seemingly 'season defining' win in fact be looked back upon as the most pyrrhic of victories?

so you've called for fletcher's head?

Rule of thumb is you add another 5 years for every time that happens...started in about 2004

the great man does have dickie groins though, next week may be an appropriate time for a spell. The saints don't have the tallest of forward lines.

In saying that, didn't play a bad game by any means

Its a fair point but saying we are going to begin our slide is a bit rich when we have won 2 matches so far away against Adelaide and now Dockers. Those were matches that people would have had us down to lose anyway. Ryder is going to be a loss but Bellchambers can handle things pretty well and we still have Hille if needed. Gumbleton and Daniher are fit and performed well in the vfl (3 and 4 goals respectively) last week to replace Hurley if required. No idea what Fletcher's injury is and if he will be out but Pears is available as well. So whilst we will lose a bit from a structural point of view we still have some decent replacements. We also will have Winderlich coming back once he gets one more vfl game into him (kicked 8 goals in 3 quarters in the vfl last week).

I'd take the win any day.

Tremendous fightback from their team tonight. Coaches and players. Only the Bombers' haterz could disagree with the notion that we just saw one of the great comebacks - fightbacks - of AFL history.

The question is whether it will also go down as one of the greatest pyrrhic victories of all time.

Fletcher: Going? Improved the team once he put on the vest. A champion of the game but this might be looked back upon as the match that symbolised when the top flight had finally gone past him.
Hurley: Gone? Anzac Day is the least of this young man's troubles. A tremendous talent who looks less and less likely will ever reach his peak, with a body that keeps letting him down time after time.
Ryder: Goneski. Will miss Anzac Day. A quick calculation suggests to me that he might have racked up enough activation points to miss four weeks (w/o taking into account priors or early pleas).

With matches against St. Kilda, Collingwood and Geelong to come, is it possible Essendon will begin their slide much earlier than usual this season? If so, regardless of what happens off-field, could this seemingly 'season defining' win in fact be looked back upon as the most pyrrhic of victories?

No it won't. But keep on dreaming. :thumbsu:

They'll kill the Saints. Hurley will only miss one and come back to destroy Collingwood. Ryder may go for two weeks, but Bellchambers will step up and fill the void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, some would call it a galvanising win. Some would laugh at the comedy of errors that was Freo's second half. At least my side isn't the only one to blow convincing leads at half time.

It was good, really good, but coming back from 6 goals down isn't one the greatest comebacks in the history of the game. Geelong alone have pretty much done it twice this season, and they've only played twice.

hows this for a comeback?

Even though we lost that one, thats still one of the best games ive ever been to, i remember my late great grandmother taking me to this i was a kid at the time. One of the best games ive seen in my time.

awesome win after kicking 1 goal in the 1st half at subi. i reckon bomber had a big say in the structure change at half time putting watson head to head on munday and going with an extra player on the ball instead of down back (subbing fletch)and letting freo have the spare down back. really reminded me of a geelong v st kilda game..

'Pyrrhic'

That s**t is too complex at 12am.

Also Hird's press conference suggests might only miss a week or two.

hows this for a comeback?
Very appropriate you should mention that match, actually.

History suggests that Essendon lost their next two matches after that great win, and with that lost all momentum for the season, limped into finals and ended up getting done in the Big Dance after they had already begun engraving the words 'back-to-back' on the cup.

So you make a valid point: Might tonight go down as Essendon's second most pyrrhic victory of all time?

Food for thought, anyhow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back