Movie Eternals

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Couldn't see an established thread, but officially out yesterday.

Immediate reaction on seeing it was good on Marvel for giving Chloe Zhao a crack, and good on Chloe Zhao for having a crack, but can't quite make up my mind if it worked.

Certainly the most un-MCU MCU movie in the stable.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Too many characters that they spend time on which makes you care about none of them , pacing issues it would build up to a action piece that lasts a bit and then fall flat for another 30 mins …and it did this constantly which made it feel like it dragged on and on and on.

the acting was terrible imo, the highlights were the speedster’s cgi and the celestials cgi. I felt the only time the movie went away from it flat bland tone was in the end credits which felt it had more personality than the entire movie.

worse marvel film easily

1.5/ 10 it was a real struggle to watch , in another director hand I felt it could had been a better experience.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Long, dull and boring. Whole family hated it.

I get they tried something different but still is essentially heros vs cgi monster. Everything Marvel movies are, this is not.Would have been far more interesting ditching the earth setting and make this a space opera cgi spectacle. Some horrible casting as well with the bigger names playing dull characters.

Last edited:
Many queries

Are earthlings so used to heroes and Monsters that a cataclysmic event that’s happening and no one’s battering an eyelid? I guess we survived thanos. But you have wakanda monitoring stuff and captain marvel surely got wind something huge was appearing from earths core? No satellites? Call for help?

But big giant celestial frozen in ice….had a massive ecological effect surely.

Agree lots going on and hard to follow. No connection with any of them.

Their powers seemed meh. Ditto monsters. Space dogs in infinity war more menacing.

Rob stark seemed wooden.
Kingos mate coming along for the ride. Hmmm. For someone in the middle of a fight didn’t appear too afraid. And his suit looked fresh.

Young female learned to love again.

Was there a second end credit scene? We kind of left after the pre-teen girls in the audience erupted into applause (you all know which bit they were applauding!), I hope it was better than most of the rest of the movie.

My problem with the movie was the writing I think, it was all over the place, I felt the actors did what they could with what they had.

probably (definitely?) won’t watch it again, I hope the rest of the fourth wave isn’t like this.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Was there a second end credit scene? We kind of left after the pre-teen girls in the audience erupted into applause (you all know which bit they were applauding!), I hope it was better than most of the rest of the movie.

My problem with the movie was the writing I think, it was all over the place, I felt the actors did what they could with what they had.

probably (definitely?) won’t watch it again, I hope the rest of the fourth wave isn’t like this.
Yeah second credit is on YouTube if you look for it , basically black knight touching his sword with Blade talking in the background

Yeah second credit is on YouTube if you look for it , basically black knight touching his sword with Blade talking in the background
Thanks, I’ll have to look for it.

Black Knight is
Kit Harrington, right? The boyfriend?

Sorry wasn’t sure what’s a spoiler and what’s not.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Finally caught this one. Very generic, too long, and ultimately quite forgettable.

Post credits scene was the highlight for me. Already had it kind of spoiled beforehand though as I read that Mahershala Ali's voice would be heard.

Too many characters. And in doing so, not enough time to devote to their development. Angelina Jolie for example, she's effectively on the bench for 2/3 of the movie. Too much going on, long dull periods where I checked out and reached for the phone which isn't a good sign. A rare miss for Marvel. Thor The Dark World and Incredible Hulk are often mentioned as the worst MCU films so far, I think we now have a contender in that conversation....

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Finally caught this one. Very generic, too long, and ultimately quite forgettable.

Post credits scene was the highlight for me. Already had it kind of spoiled beforehand though as I read that Mahershala Ali's voice would be heard.

Too many characters. And in doing so, not enough time to devote to their development. Angelina Jolie for example, she's effectively on the bench for 2/3 of the movie. Too much going on, long dull periods where I checked out and reached for the phone which isn't a good sign. A rare miss for Marvel. Thor The Dark World and Incredible Hulk are often mentioned as the worst MCU films so far, I think we now have a contender in that conversation....
And posters weee wondering why I was giving a review to the film halfway through , I was looking at my phone to stay awake tbh

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And posters weee wondering why I was giving a review to the film halfway through , I was looking at my phone to stay awake tbh

Couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve reached for the phone at the cinema, it’s just something very unique for me. There was only myself and one other person in the entire cinema.

There’s so many holes and questions in this film. It was unusually unfunny as well....Kingo’s manager had some decent moments but that was about it.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I am not a comic book reader henceforth.....is kingos manager in the source material?

Im not fully across the Eternals comics, so am not sure if there was a character similar to him. However in the comics, Kingo is a Japanese samurai and I think sometimes used a decoy as a movie star. This movie changed him to a Bollywood star.

Yeah, I'm not getting the negativity.

not the best Marvel movie but I probably enjoyed it more than Schang Chi, and I know it's not saying much but it's a lot better than Black Widow.

Black widow was pretty damn good until the last 15 minites when it decided to be a generic marvel flick.
It was pretty horrible and they destroyed Taskmaster.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It was pretty horrible and they destroyed Taskmaster.
Im dont read comics so i would have no idea if characters have been changed from source material. I just assess the movies on their individual merits and up until it decided to have a generic super hero movie ending it was better then most marvel flicks.

Back