Movie Eternals

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrary to popular belief, didn't mind it that much, sure a bit meh at times but hey, as I'm of opinion that Thor Ragnarok is hard trash due to pissing on planet hulk + world war hulk as a pisstake joke piece, this was infinitely better despite the issues it faced to me. I did also know who the characters were going in as I had largely read the multitudes of Eternal reboots over the years, so Sprites story was entirely ruined for me for example, still, can't fault the actual narrative in that character. They also seemed to handball Tiamuts deal to Ashema who retained his perk as listener to tiamuts dreamer (who changes mind on the destruction) for then Ashema to then listen to then decide on the destruction, so was always a celestial thing for me at the core and they did keep that in tune somewhat with the narrative.

Largely, I do think familiarity assisted in me liking this more compared to something like Ragnarok where it took characters and storylines I knew and liked and instead of deviating with them just basically went and straight "choice bro, lol"d it instead to irritate me to no end.

I mostly liked it. I don't take superhero movies at all seriously so I have the expectation that the tension will be built round the characters' powers being diminished or increased to suit the plot. Basically it's like two kids saying 'I can fly and I've got laser eyes' and the other one saying 'No, but now I've got magic bracelets'. Once you get past that you have to judge it whether it's entertaining and whether the story holds together.

I would say it was very entertaining but the story didn't always make sense.

eg (with weird new spoilers)

The Eternals weren't allowed to intervene in human affairs because world wars increased the population?

Thanos destroyed half of life in the Universe but no Eternals got involved?

1642405368826.png

Last edited:
I mostly liked it. I don't take superhero movies at all seriously so I have the expectation that the tension will be built round the characters' powers be diminished or increased to suit the plot. Basically it's like two kids saying 'I can fly and I've got laser eyes' and the other one saying 'No, but now I've got magic bracelets'. Once you get past that you have to judge it whether it's entertaining and whether the story holds together.

The Eternals weren't allowed to intervene in human affairs because world wars increased the population?

View attachment 1312382

RE spoiler, I assume it's because of their history, that was the reason why they remained unaffected.

If they were basically grown Eternals from Celestials from what we assume is akin to the power cosmic in comics, they aren't exactly alive to then be killed off, which is part of why they do not age at all in any way shape or form. After all, you have to be alive to then die and they don't exactly die. As Ajax for example when drained, just turned to stone in effect, and the celestials could just grow another Ajax if they wanted. As the reveal intimated, Olympia doesn't exist, everything they know, they are, was manufactured. In the way that say Jarvis survived Thanos as he has no body, no soul, Ikarus mirrored that before he then found emotion and yeeted himself into the sun from the "beautiful isn't it? I'm Ikarus" comment at the very beginning to "I screwed up, I'm sorry, I'm going to kill myself now".

F4 wise, making the celestials core in Eternals sets up silver surfer being a herald of Galactus also. So bonus points for that link in that acquisition.

Smart choice that I assume they threw that in to both give gravitas to the characters and palm off really the "why didn't they help with "X" logic, given at the very end we also see that they have no control at all when a celestial says "come here bitch" to then have multiple ways they could just be elsewhere at any given time. Also given this, who is to say they weren't? Spoken word? Eternals, given they are constructed can basically resurrect willy nilly with same memories as factory built yeah? Thena also shows that memory reprinting is a thing and can be a bit s**t as a character. Even that question brings a question to it of maybe they were but don't have the memory as not the same character?

If we assume there's also things like the living tribunal, the one above all and everything else that's wonderful and omnipotent as well, the stones would have limits also, as it's not like Thanos would be aware of say 16 celestials who were and likely are universal constructs to then halve them or have the combined ability to, when he generally has to exist within a vacuum and confined spaces.

It's why I went into it figuring it'd be an entry to space nonsense for baby steps, and why they then would play with comfort. I mean, we saw Knowhere, we know it's the head of a celestial, no one really asked, what killed a celestial to decapitate it to begin with? And what we see them do here in the movie, expands on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mostly liked it. I don't take superhero movies at all seriously so I have the expectation that the tension will be built round the characters' powers be diminished or increased to suit the plot. Basically it's like two kids saying 'I can fly and I've got laser eyes' and the other one saying 'No, but now I've got magic bracelets'. Once you get past that you have to judge it whether it's entertaining and whether the story holds together.

View attachment 1312382
They're charged with protecting the growth of the population of the planet they've been placed on, not thwarting intergalactic villains. Thanos was outside their remit, and I guess a cosmic consequence they just had to deal with.

They're charged with protecting the growth of the population of the planet they've been placed on, not thwarting intergalactic villains. Thanos was outside their remit, and I guess a cosmic consequence they just had to deal with.
Yeh but that's a logic hole as he's pointed out.

Their mission is apparantly to keep the population growing, and they did this by fighting Deviants who could kill humans, but they don't do it for other villians that kill half the universe's population? Big flaw in the plan there.

Yeh but that's a logic hole as he's pointed out.

Their mission is apparantly to keep the population growing, and they did this by fighting Deviants who could kill humans, but they don't do it for other villians that kill half the universe's population? Big flaw in the plan there.
Because they don’t leave their planet to enter into intergalactic fights.

Like a cattle dog doesn’t leave it’s farm.

They didn’t necessarily have to leave the planet though to assist.

Albeit getting into Wakanda is whole different challenge!
I mean yeah, once he turned up in Wakanda he was in their jurisdiction, but how were they to know what was playing out until the snap had happened?

There’s no link between the Eternals and the avengers either, so it’s not like they could get a call on the bat-phone, or pager aka Carol.
Thanos was on and off world in a matter of minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back