eth-dog's 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reason why the draft order is different from the one pushlished by the AFL? Is the Eagles supposed to have pick 12?
Academy bidding
McKay and Durdin are forwards mate. Have played all the VFL football forward and will continue to. Durdin perhaps will go back, but McKay is a very young full forward.

Daw unconvincing? He just kicked 4 goals in his 1st final.

We will take Pepper-Powell or Florent or ideally SPS.

We have spent 1st rounders on talls for 2 years and there is no way we will again.
Durdin has struggled as a forward, hence being dropped to the development league. McKay averaged 1 goal/game this year forward. Dominated under 18's as a defender.

Daw has yet to settle his place in the Best 22 after nearly 8 years in the system. Sorry if I remain less than convinced about him.

As I said earlier, I see Marshall too good to be passed up here.

Academy bidding

Durdin has struggled as a forward, hence being dropped to the development league. McKay averaged 1 goal/game this year forward. Dominated under 18's as a defender.

Daw has yet to settle his place in the Best 22 after nearly 8 years in the system. Sorry if I remain less than convinced about him.

As I said earlier, I see Marshall too good to be passed up here.

We've just lost Harvey & Wells.

And both Durdin and Daw are coming off 4 goal games.

Marshall has never kicked 4 in his junior career and barely has over 5 possessions a game.

Durdin had 22 touches and 4 goals in his last game.

You really should research this, because frankly it appears you have NFI.

Marshall has never kicked 4 in his junior career and barely has over 5 possessions a game.

Durdin has struggled as a key forward this year. I have done my research, more than most in regards to the VFL.

Daw hasn't secured his place in the 22 yet. If he plays 15+ games this year he will have but I remain unconvinced.

Durdin dominating Development League means nothing. He should be. Why was he playing there though?

Durdin has struggled as a key forward this year. I have done my research, more than most in regards to the VFL.

Daw hasn't secured his place in the 22 yet. If he plays 15+ games this year he will have but I remain unconvinced.

Durdin dominating Development League means nothing. He should be. Why was he playing there though?

2nd year forward who missed his first year through injury, plays a game in development league.... Call CNN.

Well for starters we had Petrie clogging up the forward-line re: Daw and when we were 10-1, we were not in a position to bring him in as we had Wood who we were trying to fit in as well. Then Waite got injured, Wood got injured and he started getting consistent games. You also have to factor in that we have a moronic coach who backs in his boys rather than picking a team on merit.

Durdin kicked 4 in the VFL in round 4 & kicked 4 and had 8 marks & 22 touches in round 19.

Whilst I agree with you in that he does look very good back, with Petrie gone and Waite playing the senior onfield coach role, there are going to opportunities coming pretty soon.

With next year's draft being a KPP draft and with less depth but overall higher quality, it doesn't make much sense to reach for a KPP when we could finish bottom 3 next year and get one of the absolute best in the country.

McKay was bottom age and is still 18, so he was never going to play, but anyone who has seen him play will tell you there is definitely something to work with there.

How about the actual draft picks? eg Port have 14,17, 30, 31

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/indicative-2016-afl-draft-order

Well you had been instantaneous in updating with the other days of the draft so you have set a high bar for yourself :p
I unfortunately had to be somewhere at 2.30 and did my best to keep it up to date until 1.50 when I had to leave. As soon as I got home I finished updating it – I can't help that they decide to do all their trading at the last possible second and then not publish details accurately or in full until ages afterwards.

eth-dog I'll make a thread for the 2017 one shortly. I'm told it'll be buried in three pages of other threads if I do it now so it'll be after the drafts when things settle a bit in the off-season.

I don't claim to be an expert on underage matters but I'm doing a slight copy cat effort again here, this may change from time to time but I'll try to do my best to fit every teams needs in there from my perspective. I will be attempting a "true" phantom draft with Academy points in play. Since my knowledge of the players isn't as deep as many I will only be doing 3 rounds.

Write-ups are only for the first round, same as last year. Most of the basis of these placings are from Bishop and don patch sword, thanks for the insights fellas.

Round 1

Pick 1; Essendon: Hugh McCluggage (Victoria Country, 185 cm/75 kg, Balanced Midfielder): My personal preference would have been taking Will Brodie with this pick but I believe it'll be between McCluggage and Andrew McGrath, with McCluggage winning slightly for his goal kicking ability.

Pick 2; Gold Coast: Jack Bowes (Queensland, 187/75, BM): The player many consider the best in the draft, Bowes is an inside/outside midfielder who's as classy as anyone. Gold Coast require 2013 points to match, using pick 4, which moves back to pick 74, with pick 73 moving forward to pick 71.

Pick 3; Greater Western Sydney: Andrew McGrath (Victoria Metro, 179/75, Half Back/BM): Rumours surrounding GWS that they were interested in moving up to pick 1 to claim McGrath, and since he's available here he'll be taken by the Giants.

Pick 4; Brisbane: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Western Australia, 187/73, BM): SPS has claims to being the classiest player of the draft, including Bowes, with his speed and ability to hit a target. Safe bet for Brisbane as SPS was a Brisbane supporter growing up.

Pick 5; Greater Western Sydney: Will Setterfield (New South Wales, 190/79, Inside Midfielder): Setterfield has some massive wraps on him coming out of the Giants academy, the next Bontempelli is one of a few claims on this young star. Giants require 1502 points to match, using picks 15 and 37 to match, 37 moving back to pick 75 and pick 60 moving forward to pick 53

Pick 6; Carlton: Will Brodie (VC, 189/80, IM): Brodie is a big bodied inside midfielder that Carlton will be stoked to grab here with his ability to win clearances and to help out Cripps on the inside. Personally feel he's the second best player in the draft behind Bowes so Carlton get a steal here.

Pick 7; Gold Coast: Tim Taranto (VM, 186/82, Midfielder/Forward): Taranto's ability to play both forward and midfield is excellent, was rated by a few as the best player in the TAC Cup Grand Final. Supreme hands in close.

Pick 8; Greater Western Sydney: Harry Perryman (NSW, 184/75 OM): Perryman had the most impressive Division 1 championships of all the GWS academy players and as such will be taken by the Giants here where Fremantle bid on him. GWS require 1241 points to match, using picks 39, 45, 52 and 53 to match, which is moved back to 76 and pick 59 moved forward to pick 56.

Pick 9; Fremantle: Tim English (WA, 203/86 Ruck): English was the dominant ruck of the under 18 carnival, but many consider him to be a long term defender, but the West Australian KPP is too good to pass up here for Fremantle.

Pick 10; Gold Coast: Ben Ainsworth (VC, 179/75 M/F): Ainsworth is the premier small forward in the draft but also has oodles of midfield talent. One of the better kicks in the draft, Ainsworth is also strong overhead despite his size.

Pick 11; Sydney: Jack Scrimshaw (VM, 193/80 HB): Sydney's biggest need is someone like Scrimshaw to provide drive off half back. Scrimshaw's ability to hit a moving target is excellent and is arguably the best kick in the draft.

Pick 12; Gold Coast: Brad Scheer (Qld, 184/83 IM): Scheer is an academy prospect but with Gold Coast's last live pick in the draft I expect them to take Scheer here just so they can end draft day early.

Pick 13; North Melbourne: Todd Marshall (NSW, 200/88 Key Forward): Many consider Marshall the most talented key forward in the draft and I can see North taking him here due to uncertainty about Daw still, despite how long he's been in the system.

Pick 14; West Coast: Griffin Logue (WA, 193/92 Key Defender): The best key defender in the draft, Logue's size and fitness base could see him become an inside midfielder in the future but at the very least will form a formidable trio with Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass

Pick 15; Adelaide: Alex Villis (South Australia, 182/70 OM): Villis is a bit of a reach here possibly, but his speed and general kicking is very good which Pyke seems to love.

Pick 16; Port Adelaide: Jonty Scharenberd (SA, 185/77 IM): Scharenberg is one of the better inside midfielders in this draft, a definite area of concern for the Power. Needs more muscle however.

Pick 17; Brisbane: Jy Simpkin (VC, 182/72 F/M): Simpkin is a speedy outside midfielder who can rotate forward and kick a goal, perfect for Brisbane's pick here.

Pick 18; Port Adelaide: Josh Rotham (WA, 192/75 HB): Rotham is one of the best rebounding defenders in the draft and was too good to pass up here for the Power, and his leadership qualities are excellent too.

Pick 19; Greater Western Sydney: Harrison Macreadie (NSW, 196/89 KD): Macreadie is one of the best KPP's in the draft but a poor championships have sent him down the order. GWS need 751 points to match, they use pick 56, 57 and 58 to match and go into 204 points deficit for 2017.

Pick 20; Western Bulldogs: Daniel Venables (VM, 186/81 IM): Venables is a strong inside midfielder with good kicking and a lot of raw potential. Could go as high as 10 but as low as 30.

Pick 21; Sydney: Zachary Sproule (NSW, 197/87 KD): Sydney still have a lack of young key defenders and Sproule fits the bill for the Swans here. Don't expect GWS to match this with the acquisition of Macreadie
How have our picks changed? The order?

No Stkilda selections? You just thought tat you would exclude them?
Sorry, not sure how i did that. That'll be fixed when I get back on my PC

Not this s**t again...

Mistake IMO

Daw is hardly convincing. Durdin and McKay are defenders. Waite has about 1 year left.

Yes. I rate Villis and think he'd be a steal for anyone.

I'm not entirely up to date with the list squeeze at GC but personally I'd avoid point deficit of possible.
Interesting view Eth-Dog. I'm hoping you're wrong regarding Bowes at #2 but definitely a chance especially since we bid on Hopper for GWS last year. Rocket has said we'll be drafting 5, most likely using 73 to bid on Scheer. If this is the case, who do you think we'd target with #10?

Interesting view Eth-Dog. I'm hoping you're wrong regarding Bowes at #2 but definitely a chance especially since we bid on Hopper for GWS last year. Rocket has said we'll be drafting 5, most likely using 73 to bid on Scheer. If this is the case, who do you think we'd target with #10?
I'd honestly bid on him with 1 but I don't think it happens. All depends on who's available, wouldn't be surprised to see Marshall given there are rumours regarding Wright. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if Harry Dear is picked up either. Logue another possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see us taking another KPD at first pick tbh, it's the onebspot we don't need to recruit for, plus we usually take our backs with later picks.
I think Logue transitions into an inside midfielder.

Maybe have a crack yourself. No need to play the man because you do not agree.

We wce have been desperate for a small crumbing forward.
The club as publicly said we will draft a small forward as a priority.
I se Bolton as more of a winger. You can also get a good one later in the draft.

Nice work!.. would be stoked with Brodie with our first. Have heard a little whisper Blues keen on Powell-Pepper if available at 25.
Wouldn't be surprised but I think Berry is a big need with his skills and his leadership (which can't be underrated for Carlton IMO)

Of all the spots to see Bowes being bid on GWS putting a bid on Bowes #2 would be the longest odds. GWS get themselves up to #2 to get to McGrath and then put that at risk with a Bowes bid when they already have Kelly, Scully and Whitfield and spots in their midfield at a premium.

More chance Bombers pick at #1 which will make Bowes #1 on that list

Of all the spots to see Bowes being bid on GWS putting a bid on Bowes #2 would be the longest odds. GWS get themselves up to #2 to get to McGrath and then put that at risk with a Bowes bid when they already have Kelly, Scully and Whitfield and spots in their midfield at a premium.

More chance Bombers pick at #1 which will make Bowes #1 on that list
Not overly concerned about the 2MP rumours either. Just can't see us drafting a tall with our rucks covered and Lynch, Day still up forward. Mids are our sole focus. Take a tall in next years draft.

Round 3

Pick 39; Essendon: Ben Long (VM, 184/80 M/F)

Pick 40; Collingwood: Josh Daicos (VM, 178/69 M/F) Bid from Geelong. Collingwood match with pick 42, which moves back to pick 77, and pick 65 moves forward to pick 52.

Pick 41; Collingwood: Callum Brown (VM, 177/69 M/F) Bid from Geelong. Collingwood match with pick 48, which moves back to pick 78, and pick 65 moves forward to pick 57.

Pick 42; Geelong: Joseph Atley (VC, 186/84 IM)

Pick 43; Adelaide: Brandan Parfitt (NT, 179/78, M/F)

Pick 44; Sydney: Louis Cunningham (VM, 182/78 OM)

Pick 45; Melbourne: Callan Wellings (VC, 182/72 OM)

Pick 46; Brisbane: Declan Watson (Qld, 194/90 KD) Bid from Carlton. Brisbane use pick 76 to match and go into 134 point deficit in 2017

Pick 46; Carlton: Harry Morrison (VC, 182/73 OM)

Pick 47; Sydney: Reece Piper (177/75 SD)

Pick 48; Western Bulldogs: Brennan Cox (SA, 194/90 KD)

Pick 49; Adelaide: Luke Bunker (VM, 185/78 IM)

Pick 50; Collingwood: PASS

Pick 51; Richmond: Corey Lyons (VM, 183/78 IM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back