Phantom Draft eth-dog's 2021 Phantom

So as usual, I'm gonna be one of the first mugs to do a draft. I always try to make it a "true" draft including removing picks to match a bid and all that. I'll do a bit of a write up on the first round but after that it'll just be the basic stuff.

Round 1:

Pick 1, North Melbourne: Jason Horne-Francis (184 cm/78 kg, Balanced Midfielder, South Adelaide). Well after turning down a kings ransom from Adelaide, it would be a shock if North passed on Horne-Francis here. Good kick, can play forward, wins the ball, he's everything you want from a #1 pick, which is essentially why they turned it down.
Others considered: None. They want him.

Pick 2, Collingwood: Nick Daicos (182/73 , BM, Oakleigh Chargers). GWS bid, 2517x0.8=2013.6 points, matched with picks 36, 38, 40 46, 48, 55, 31.4 point surplus for 2022. To bid on Daicos or Darcy first? I think Daicos is the better player so I'd bid on him first, and Collingwood will take approximately 3.7 seconds to match. Daicos just finds the ball and plenty of it, uses it well too.
Others considered: None.

Pick 3, Western Bulldogs: Sam Darcy (204/75, Key Position Swingman, Oakleigh Chargers). GWS bid, 2234x0.8=1787.2 points, matched with picks 33, 36 (trade with Geelong), 43, 44, 45, 114.8 point surplus for 2022. Darcy is probably the bigger need for GWS and might be why they bid on him first but the Bulldogs will undoubtedly match the bid either way. I see the Dogs developing him in defence with young forwards like Aaron Naughton and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, whilst Darcy will likely come in to replace Alex Keath in 3 or 4 years.
Others considered: None.

Pick 4, Hawthorne (Live Trade): Finn Callaghan (189/82, BM, Sandringham Dragons). I've ummed and ahhed about whether or not GWS trade this but I think the Hawks will end up trading their first and a future 1st for this and probably a future 3rd or something, the Hawks definitely need more midfielders and although I don't think this is a great move for the Hawks, I think it happens
Others considered: Josh Ward

Pick 5, Gold Coast: Mac Andrew (200/70, KF/Ruck, Dandenong Stingrays). All the new indications suggest that Gold Coast are looking at Andrew as their man, and I realistically think that it'll be him or Gibcus here. Andrew probably plays VFL next year but will play as a key forward to start with I think, he could develop into a key defender as well.
Others considered: Josh Gibcus, Jye Amiss.

Pick 6, Adelaide: Josh Rachele (180/78, Small Forward, Murray Bushrangers). The rumours are connecting Rachele to Adelaide are persistant, and it makes sense for them to go after the small forward who can have an immediate impact next season, instead of the midfielder.
Others considered: Ben Hobbs, Josh Ward, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.

Pick 7, Greater Western Sydney (Live Trade): Josh Gibcus (195/84, Key Defender, GWV Rebels). The gamble of trading down pays off as they get a future pick and the key defender they need to partner Sam Taylor. Gibcus can probably play round 1 next year if they so choose and I think he will do a fantastic job of it.
Others considered: Jye Amiss.

Pick 8, Fremantle: Jye Amiss (195/85, Key Forward, East Perth). The dilemma, to prioritize the key forward or the midfielder? With Richmond needing a key forward in between, I think this is the right call over the midfielder. Amiss, ironically, rarely misses his set shots and is perfect to develop over a few years and then replace the aging Matt Taberner to partner Josh Treacy in the future.
Others considered: Neil Erasmus, Matthew Johnson, Ben Hobbs.

Pick 9, Richmond: Josh Ward (181/79, Outside Midfielder, Northern Knights). Ward is simply too good a player to pass up at this point in time for the Tigers, his ability to run and carry the ball and deliver is exactly what they need. The Zach Merrett clone will step straight into their round 1 side and have a huge impact on the game.
Others considered: Matthew Johnson, Ben Hobbs, Neil Erasmus, Tyler Sonsie.

Pick 10, Fremantle: Neil Erasmus (188/80, IM, Subiaco). I think they take Erasmus over Johnson purely based on the fact that Erasmus wins the ball a little bit more than Johnson, and that's why he's been higher up on most draft boards this year. A player that could plug and play next year, Erasmus adds dynamism to the midfield mix of Brayshaw and Serong.
Others considered: Matthew Johnson, Ben Hobbs.

Pick 11, St. Kilda: Ben Hobbs (183/80, Inside Midfielder, GWV Rebels). St. Kilda have a clear need for more ball winners and Hobbs fills that in spades despite being more of a nuggety small as opposed to the big player who bounces off of tackles, he will provide an immediate impact for the Saints in the middle which they desperately need.
Others considered: Josh Goater, Arlo Draper, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.

Pick 12, West Coast: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (188/70, OM, Glenelg). This seems like a hand in glove move, West Coast's midfield is aging and Johnson is the perfect addition with Yeo's injury issues, and being a local boy too is a bonus.
Others considered: Josh Goater, Arlo Draper.

Pick 13, Richmond (Live Trade): Josh Sinn (186/73, Half Back, Sandringham Dragons). With apparent interest from Port Adelaide and Brisbane I can see Richmond trading up to this pick to secure their Houli replacement in Sinn alongside one of their second round picks, which Essendon would be happy with as they'd have three guys they would want still on the board.
Others considered: Arlo Draper, Tyler Sonsie.

Pick 14, Port Adelaide: Arlo Draper (186/75, M/F, South Adelaide). Trading up the order with Ladhams gives them an opportunity to take someone like Draper who would be unlikely to last to their pick 18, the mid/forward someone who can have an impact straight away for the Power in their bid for a flag.
Others considered: Josh Sinn, Tyler Sonsie, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.

Pick 15, Greater Western Sydney: Sam Butler (184/73, SF, GWV Rebels). Since they landed Gibcus their other gaping hole is the small forward role. I think trading back here is an option, Brisbane could look at it and try to get two picks in a row and then they could take Butler there but for now I can see them going after the small forward they really want here.
Others considered: Jesse Motlop.

Pick 16, Brisbane: Matthew Johnson (192/82, IM, Subiaco). Brisbane shapes as an interesting player here, and before Port moved up I had them taking Arlo Draper here as someone who can add to both their forward and midfield group. Johnson is the best midfielder available here so that's why I have them taking him.
Others considered: Tyler Sonsie, Jacob van Rooyen, Josh Goater

Pick 17, Essendon (Live Trade): Josh Goater (190/79, Midfielder/Forward, Calder Cannons). Essendon still get their man despite trading down 4 picks, Goater has been on Essendon's radar for a long time now and he is the perfect fit as he can play a variety of roles, but is primarily a midfielder who can pinch hit forward or back, not a half back like many have suggested.
Others considered: Campbell Chesser, Tyler Sonsie

Pick 18, Sydney: Tyler Sonsie (181/77, BM, Eastern Ranges). An inside midfielder who uses the ball well again, and I think he would have come under consideration at pick 14 as well. Sonsie can play a variety of roles and would be a valuable addition to the Swans midfield group.
Others considered: Mitch Knevitt, Matthew Roberts, Campbell Chesser

Pick 19, Melbourne: Jacob van Rooyen (193/91, KF, Claremont). van Rooyen's last month has put him from the fringe of the first round into definitely going in there. Melbourne's young KPP stocks are an issue and if available here they'll snap him right up I'm sure.
Others considered: Rhett Bazzo, Mitch Knevitt.

Pick 20, Brisbane: Darcy Wilmot (183/75, HB, Northern Knights). The Lions have been big into Wilmot for a while now and would have been wary about him not getting past Sydney however I think the half back will be an important addition to their half backs.
Others considered: Blake Howes, Zac Taylor

Pick 21, Richmond (Live Trade): Rhett Bazzo (195/79, KD, Swan Districts). Richmond are in a good position to move up here and grab the young key defender they need, Bazzo is probably the second best in the draft depending if you see Jacob van Rooyen as a forward or back.
Others considered: Zac Taylor, Mitch Knevitt, Campbell Chesser

Last edited:
Round 2

Pick 22, North Melbourne: Campbell Chesser (186/83, BM, Sandringham Dragons).

Pick 23, Hawthorne: Blake Howes (190/79 M/F, Sandringham Dragons)

Pick 24, Geelong: Mitchell Knevitt (193/81, IM, Geelong Falcons).

Pick 25, Geelong (Live Trade): Tom Brown (186/71 Utility, Murray Bushrangers)

Pick 26, Hawthorne: Ned Long (192/88, IM, Northern Knights).

Pick 27, Greater Western Sydney: Josh Fahey (186/76 HB, GWS Academy). Carlton bid, 729-197=592 points, match with picks 47 and 64, go into 115 point deficit 2022

Pick 28, Carlton: Leek Alleer (195/84 KD, Central Districts).

Pick 29, St. Kilda: Michito Owens (190/85 IM, Sandringham Dragons). Essendon bid, 677-197=480 points, match with picks 54, 58 and 59, have a 68 point surplus

Pick 30, Essendon (Live Trade): Zac Taylor (180/74 SF/OM, Calder Cannons).

Pick 30, Fremantle (Live Trade): Jesse Motlop (176/74, SF, South Fremantle).

Pick 31, Richmond: Matthew Roberts (183/81, IM, South Adelaide).

Pick 32, West Coast: Angus Sheldrick (179/84 IM, Claremont).

Pick 34, St. Kilda: Marcus Windhager (183/82 OM, Sandringham Dragons). Sydney bid, 563-197=366 points, match pick 52 and 68 point surplus, go into 52 point deficit in 2022

Pick 35, Sydney: Judson Clarke (179/69 SF/OM, Dandenong Stingrays).

Pick 37, Adelaide: Kai Lohmann (185/76 Medium Forward, GWV Rebels).

Pick 38, Geelong: Brady Hough (189/71 IM, Peel Thunder).

Pick 39, West Coast: Josh Browne (185/77 IM, East Fremantle).

Pick 40, Melbourne: Jack Williams (194/95 KF, East Fremantle).

Pick 41, Sydney: Charlie Dean (195/86 KD, Williamstown).

Last edited:
Round 3

Pick 42, Brisbane: Cooper Murley (178/69 SF, Norwood).

Pick 43, Port Adelaide: Jase Burgoyne (186/65 HB, Woodville-West Torrens). North Melbourne bid, 362-197=165, match with pick 55, 42 point surplus 2022.

Pick 44, North Melbourne: Connor Macdonald (184/77 OM, Dandenong Stingrays).

Pick 45, North Melbourne: Noah Pegoraro (194/88 KD, West Perth).

Pick 47, Melbourne: Jamieson Ballantyne (183/79 OM, GWV Rebels).

Pick 48, Geelong: Charlie Molan (186/78 OM, GWV Rebels).

Pick 49, Essendon: Paul Curtis (181/71 SF, Western Jets).

Pick 50, Western Bulldogs: Toby Conway (204/90 Ruck, Geelong Falcons).

Pick 51, Brisbane: Corey Warner (182/74 IM, East Fremantle).

Pick 52, Melbourne: Hugh Jackson (181/70 IM, North Adelaide).

Pick 53, Collingwood: Jahmal Stretch (181/62 SF, Claremont).

Last edited:
Round 4

Pick 55, Hawthorne: Samuel Banks (187/73 HB, Tasmania).

Pick 56, Brisbane: Kade Dittmar (186/90 IM, East Perth).

Pick 57, Fremantle: Luke Nankervis (189/76 MF, Sandringham Dragons).

Pick 58, Carlton: James Willis (180/75 OM, North Adelaide).

Pick 59, Hawthorne: Oscar Morrison (193/86 Utility, Geelong Falcons).

Pick 60, Fremantle: Eric Benning (196/85 KF/R, Claremont). West Coast bid, 0 points to match, Fremantle match with pick 61, 135 points in surplus 2022.

Pick 61, Melbourne: Taj Woewodin (182/77 OM, East Fremantle). West Coast bid, 0 points to match, Melbourne match with pick 85.

Pick 62, West Coast: Lachlan Rankin (182/68 HB, Oakleigh Chargers).

Pick 63, Sydney: Blayne O’Loughlin (171/74 HB, North Adelaide).

Pick 64, North Melbourne: Jai Serong (192/80 IM, Gippsland Power).

Pick 65, Port Adelaide: Mani Liddy (183/80 IM, Sturt).

Pick 66, Port Adelaide: Sam Breuer (183/80 IM, GWV Rebels).

Pick 67, Adelaide: Lewis Rayson (183/69 HB, Glenelg).

Pick 68, Brisbane: Cooper Hamilton (182/69 SF, Bendigo Pioneers).

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yeah I reckon Geelong trade up for the former pick 19 (21 at the start of 2nd round) to secure Knivett. Pick 24 and F2 gets it done. Although Fremantle are into Knivett so may pass.

Yes please, we’ll take him at 16.
Chances of Ashcroft not being a Lion next year?
Yeah I reckon Geelong trade up for the former pick 19 (21 at the start of 2nd round) to secure Knivett. Pick 24 and F2 gets it done. Although Fremantle are into Knivett so may pass.
I'm not sure who trades up. Depends on who's on the board still. I can see Essendon doing so.
I'd be very happy if draft night unfolded like that for real for GWS. :thumbsu:
I expect to see you trade a future pick to cover the deficit but yeah, solid night for the Giants.
Conway slips to rookie draft?
Yep.
Nice work Eth
Cheers Moo Moo

Can't see Rachele slipping to GWS at pick 15, Adelaide & both WA clubs are into him. Also GWS expected to take Andrew at their first pick so unlikely that he gets to Richmond.
Great effort though you clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it.
I think you're forgetting that this is probably the most open draft after the first 4 picks. Rachele won't drop past that pick but as you say I can see any of the teams you listed taking him

As far as GWS is concerned, I think that's a red herring. They won't pass up on Callaghan.
Mate, just a question on why you call Hawthorn “Hawthorne” for? You are clearly trolling but I don’t get the troll 😈
I've been doing it so long that I'd forgotten that I had. Hawthorne is how it was originally spelt haha.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Round 2

Pick 22, North Melbourne: Rhett Bazzo (195/79, KD, Swan Districts).

Pick 23, Hawthorne: Darcy Wilmott (183/75, HB, Northern Knights).

Pick 24, Geelong: Mitchell Knevitt (193/81, IM, Geelong Falcons).

Pick 25, Hawthorne: Ned Long (192/88, IM, Northern Knights).

Pick 26, Greater Western Sydney: Josh Fahey (186/76 HB, GWS Academy). Carlton bid, 729-197=592 points, match with picks 47 and 64, go into 115 point deficit 2022

Pick 27, Carlton: Blake Howes (190/79 M/F, Sandringham Dragons).

Pick 28, St. Kilda: Michito Owens (190/85 IM, Sandringham Dragons). Richmond bid, 677-197=480 points, match with picks 54, 58 and 59, have a 68 point surplus

Pick 29, Richmond: Zac Taylor (180/74 SF, Calder Cannons).

Pick 30, Richmond: Leek Alleer (195/84 KD, Central Districts).

Pick 31, West Coast: Angus Sheldrick (179/84 IM, Claremont).

Pick 32, Geelong: Sam Butler (184/73 SF, GWV Rebels).

Pick 33, St. Kilda: Marcus Windhager (183/82 OM, Sandringham Dragons). Sydney bid, 563-197=366 points, match pick 75 and 68 point surplus, go into 298 point deficit in 2022

Pick 34, Sydney: Judson Clarke (179/69 SF, Dandenong Stingrays).

Pick 35, Geelong: Brady Hough (189/71 IM, Peel Thunder).

Pick 36, Adelaide: Connor Macdonald (184/77 OM, Dandenong Stingrays).

Pick 37, Geelong: Tom Brown (186/71 Utility, Murray Bushrangers).

Pick 38, West Coast: Josh Browne (185/77 IM, East Fremantle).

Pick 39, Melbourne: Jack Williams (194/95 KF, East Fremantle).

Pick 40, Richmond: Kai Lohmann (185/76 Medium Forward, GWV Rebels).

I like Darcy Wilmot a lot, but our sml/med defenders are Impey, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, CJ, Day and Bramble plays there and wing.... theres just no way he gets a game... 7 and thats not including KPD's and resting rucks in a 6 man defence. with guys like Howe and Morris spending time down there as well, anyone who thinks we draft a general defender is not aware of our list, i think we would take Knevitt/MacDonald in that situation, instead of Wilmot.

thanks for Banks and Morrison late, Banks in the 50's would be a great get imo.

I like Darcy Wilmot a lot, but our sml/med defenders are Impey, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, CJ, Day and Bramble plays there and wing.... theres just no way he gets a game... 7 and thats not including KPD's and resting rucks in a 6 man defence. with guys like Howe and Morris spending time down there as well, anyone who thinks we draft a general defender is not aware of our list, i think we would take Knevitt/MacDonald in that situation, instead of Wilmot.

thanks for Banks and Morrison late, Banks in the 50's would be a great get imo.
Honestly I think your pick ther is one of the ones more likely to get targeted for teams like Essendon and Brisbane amongst others to trade into this draft with their future first and as such just put the best player available there.

I get odd Dane Rampe vibes about this pick of Dean going to Sydney.
Strong Willy defender going to the Swans, history repeating?

I get odd Dane Rampe vibes about this pick of Dean going to Sydney.
Strong Willy defender going to the Swans, history repeating?
Different player though. Doesn't have Rampe's kicking, and I have Sydney interested to take the second forward alongside McCartin to allow Rampe to focus on the mediums rather than talls.

Different player though. Doesn't have Rampe's kicking, and I have Sydney interested to take the second forward alongside McCartin to allow Rampe to focus on the mediums rather than talls.
Fair. I do recall watching Dane Rampe at Willy thinking he was AFL standard, especially the way he just couldn't be tackled (so strong through the hips). He
could kick the ball a fair way although not with a great deal of accuracy at that stage of his career. Was pretty disappointed we didn't rookie him.

Dean does seem more of a genuine interceptor as well.

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund

If Geelong are trading up it will be for Brisbane's Former pick 18 to leap frog Freo at 19 to get Knivett - Brisbane needs points to secure - Ashcoft and Fletcher in the 2022 draft

Fair. I do recall watching Dane Rampe at Willy thinking he was AFL standard, especially the way he just couldn't be tackled (so strong through the hips). He
could kick the ball a fair way although not with a great deal of accuracy at that stage of his career. Was pretty disappointed we didn't rookie him.

Dean does seem more of a genuine interceptor as well.
Dean's weaknesses are his kicking and his still light frame. I think he doesn't get past North's pair of third round picks personally
If Geelong are trading up it will be for Brisbane's Former pick 18 to leap frog Freo at 19 to get Knivett - Brisbane needs points to secure - Ashcoft and Fletcher in the 2022 draft
I doubt it. Freo are almost certain to get a good deal at that pick and trade it away. It could net them a 5 pick downgrade and a 2022 second.

Back