Phantom Draft eth-dog's 2022 Phantom Draft

As usual, I will be one of the first amateur's to do a phantom draft. I always do a "true" phantom and I will be incorporating live trading as well, at least for the first round. Most of this will be based off guys like Chris25, eDPS and PMBangers. I'll do the first 4 rounds, first round will have a brief blurb, rounds after that purely just the picks and whether or not it's a matched bid. Most of this will be done tomorrow, will see how much of the first round I can smash out tonight.

Pick 1, Greater Western Sydney: Aaron Cadman (Greater Western Victoria Rebels, 194/88, Key Forward). The first team to trade into pick 1, I can't see them bidding on Ashcroft here as they've said that Cadman's their guy for this draft. Drawing comparisons to Jeremy Cameron, expect Cadman to play a lot of football next year as well.
Others considered: None.

Pick 2, Brisbane: Will Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons, 182/82, Inside Midfielder). 2013.6 points to match, matched with picks 34, 35, 36 and 38 with a 17.4 point surplus. Brisbane knew Ashcroft was going to be their guy and he will slot straight into the midfield of the Lions, making them an extremely attractive chance for the 2023 premiership.
Others considered: None.

Pick 3, North Melbourne: Harry Sheezel (SD, 184/77, Forward/Midfielder). Sheezel is the classiest player of this draft and has that innate goal sense about him, something that North Melbourne need in spades. I'd have taken him for North if they kept pick 1 so this is a big win.
Others considered: Elijah Tsatas, George Wardlaw.

Pick 4, North Melbourne: George Wardlaw (OC, 182/82, IM). Essendon probably have the easiest pick of the draft here. A clear cut top 5 and they get to pick whoever's left over amongst them. Wardlaw, an Essendon fan growing up, has excellent burst from a stoppage but his hamstrings are a concern which has seen him slide.
Others considered: George Wardlaw

Pick 5, Essendon: Elijah Tsatas (Oakleigh Chargers, 187/80, Balanced Midfielder). This was probably the hardest pick of them all, to go with Wardlaw or Tsatas? I wanted Tsatas for Essendon all year but the recent mail has suggested that North will take him here, adding a bit more class to the likes of Simpkin, Powell and Davies-Uniacke.
Others considered: Bailey Humphrey, Mattaes Phillipou.

Pick 6, Gold Coast: Reuben Ginbey (East Perth, 188/81, Midfielder/Defender). This is where things start to get interesting. Do the Suns go the key defender in Busslinger, or perhaps the inside grunt of Jhye Clark? Ginbey presents himself as another option, and the one I think the Sun's will take in the end
Others considered: Bailey Humphrey, Jhye Clark, Mattaes Phillipou, Jed Busslinger, Cameron Mackenzie

Pick 7, Hawthorne: Mattaes Phillipou (Woodville-West Torrens Eagles, 192/83, M/F). I think Phillipou will end up primarily as a winger, but his size and athleticism will appeal to the Hawks, his kicking is one of the best in the draft as well.
Others considered: Jhye Clark, Cameron Mackenzie, Bailey Humphrey.

Pick 8, Geelong: Jhye Clark (Geelong Falcons, 181/77, IM). I think if he's available the Cats will take approximately 2 seconds jumping on Clark. He's a good inside midfielder and tough as nails, something Chris Scott will like a lot. Watch him play 18+ games next year injuries permitting.
Others considered: Jed Busslinger, Cameron Mackenzie, Bailey Humphrey

Pick 9, West Coast: Bailey Humphrey (Gippsland Power, 186/86 F/M). An interesting pick. Until a week or two ago, most wouldn't have thought Humphrey would last to this pick. There are other options but I suspect West Coast take him here.
Others considered: Jed Busslinger, Ed Allan.

Pick 10, St. Kilda: Cameron Mackenzie (SD, 187/80, IM). Mackenzie is a St. Kilda next generation academy player but with them not getting rights to him until after pick 40 I'd expect them to take him here after investing time into him. Mackenzie adds to St. Kilda's midfield stocks and will be one to possibly have an immediate impact for next year.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Olli Hotton.

Pick 11, Carlton: Oliver Hollands (Murray Bushrangers, 184/71, IM). This is a tough pick. If one of McKenzie or Humphrey slipped through I suspect they'd be taken but the Blues probably take the safe pick that will play next year for the entirety.
Others considered: Brayden George, Jed Busslinger, Ed Allan

Pick 12, Western Bulldogs: Jed Busslinger (EP, 196/82, Key Defender). The Dogs would have been nervously waiting for this if it transpires this way, Busslinger is the best key defender of the draft and a big addition to the Dogs, who really want a long term key defender soon.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Elijah Hewett, Harry Barnett

Pick 13, West Coast: Ed Allan (Claremont, 194/82, Utility). West Coast miss out on father son eligibility for Allen from a handful of games, but his rise in stocks make most think that he'll land at this pick if available.
Others considered: Brayden George, Matthew Jefferson.

Pick 14, Melbourne: Matthew Jefferson (OC, 194/76, KF). The Dees are likely to go with a key position player here and Jefferson screams pick me as far as they'd be concerned, a lead up forward could set up their forward line with JvR for years to come.
Others considered: Harry Barnett, Brayden George, Jacob Konstanty

Pick 15, Sydney: Olli Hotton (SD, 181/79, F/M). I honestly see Sydney going best available here and that's Hotton, a classy forward/mid who loves a goal, perfect addition to Sydney.
Others considered: Brayden George, Sam Gilbey

Pick 16, Greater Western Sydney: Jacob Konstanty (GP, 176/70, Small Forward). GWS draft plan is probably pretty simple. Take a key forward and two smalls in the top 20. Konstanty is the perfect guy to take here for them, maniacal pressure and loves a goal.
Others considered: Brayden George.

Pick 17, Essendon (live trade, picks 23, 72 and F2 for picks 17 and 51): Henry Hustwaite (Dandenong Stingrays, 194/84, IM). This was a tough pick. The trade happens mostly because Collingwood miss out on Jefferson and so trade back into the second round whilst maintaining a good pick. Hustwaite is a big inside midfielder that could eventually go into a key defence position but expect him to start on the inside at least.
Others considered: Brayden George

Pick 18, Sydney: Brayden George (MB, 185/87, Medium Forward). After having him as a chance so often, here's where someone bites on the medium. With George being out of most of next year with an ACL injury, Sydney can sit back and relax about him.
Others considered: Sam Gilbey, Mitch Szybkowski

Pick 19, Greater Western Sydney: Charlie Clarke (SD, 182/75, SF). A small forward is definitely on the needs list for the Giants and Clarke is exactly what they need at this pick, a bit more presence to support the likes of Toby Greene around goals is what they'd want.
Others considered: Mitch Szybkowski, Henry Hustwaite

Last edited:
Second round:

Pick 20, Essendon: Alwyn Davey jr (Oakleigh, 180/74, SF/M). 715 points to match. Use picks 48, 51 and 59 to match, go into a 4 point surplus in 2023.

Pick 21, Greater Western Sydney: Harry Barnett (West Adelaide, 202/93, ruck)

Pick 22, West Coast: Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts, 185/84, IM).

Pick 23, Western Bulldogs: Josh Weddle (OC, 193/82, Medium Defender).

Pick 24, Collingwood (live trade): Isaac Keeler (North Adelaide, 197/83, KF/R).

Pick 24, Brisbane: Jaspa Fletcher (Sherwood, 184/73 Outside Midfielder). 559 points to match, use 17.4 point surplus and picks 54, 55 and 72 to match, go into a 95.6 point deficit for 2023 in the second round.

Pick 25, North Melbourne: Lachlan Cowan (Tasmania Devils, 188/81, MD).

Pick 26, Hawthorne: Nick Sadler (Sturt, 179/72, OM).

Pick 27, Collingwood: Lewis Hayes (Eastern Ranges, 197/81, KD).

Pick 28, West Coast: Darcy Jones (SwD, 175/63, SF).

Pick 30, Collingwood: Mitchell Szybkowski (DS, 186/84, IM).

Pick 31, St. Kilda: Noah Long (Bendigo Pioneers, 178/74, SF/M).

Pick 32, Carlton: Koby Burgiel (GP, 183/77, Half Back).

Pick 33, Fremantle: Jed Adams (Peel Thunder, 194/89, KD).

Pick 34, Greater Western Sydney: Max Gruzewski (OC, 192/84, Utility)

Pick 35, St. Kilda: Harry Lemmey (WA, 199/83, KF).

Pick 36, Port Adelaide: Jakob Ryan (Glenelg, 189/77, MD).

Pick 37, Melbourne: James Van Es (GWV, 196/97, KD).

Last edited:
Third round:

Pick 38, Greater Western Sydney: Harry Rowston (Calder Cannons, 182/??, M/F). 286 points to match. Match with pick 53 and 57, go into a 141 point surplus.

Pick 39, Western Bulldogs: Jason Gilbee (BP, 190/76 OM/F).

Pick 40, North Melbourne: Luke Teal (OC, 188/80, HB).

Pick 41, Adelaide: Max Michaelanney (Norwood, 192/78, MD). 232 points to match. Matched with pick 46, go into a 99 point surplus.

Pick 42, Hawthorne: Billy Dowling (NA, 187/79, IM).

Pick 43, Sydney: Adam D'Aloia (WWT, 186/86, IM).

Pick 44, Fremantle: Ethan Phillips (Port Melbourne, 196/90, KD).

Pick 45, Fremantle: Sam Gilbey (Claremont, 188/71, Medium Defender).

Pick 46, Gold Coast: Jack Cleaver (East Fremantle, 188/87, Utility).

Pick 47, St. Kilda: Jaiden Magor (South Adelaide, 185/79, MF).

Pick 48, Hawthorne: Hugh Bond (GWV, 184/81, IM).

Pick 49, Carlton: Jaxon Binns (DS, 182/73, SD)

Pick 50, Hawthorne: Tom McCallum (TD, 192/78, MD).

Pick 51, Hawthorne: Tom Scully (WA, 201/83, KF)

Pick 52, Richmond: Toby McMullin (SD,185/??, MF).

Pick 53, Geelong: Jack O'Sullivan (OC, 177/70, SF).

Last edited:
Fourth round:

Pick 54, North Melbourne: Jake Walker (Glenelg, 183/80, IM).

Pick 55, Port Adelaide: Harry Cole (Claremont, 186/77, MF).

Pick 56, Richmond: Archie Lovelock (Glenelg, 178/72, OM).

Pick 57, Geelong: Blake Drudy (OC, 177/73, OM).

Pick 58, Hawthorne: Harvey Gallagher (BP, 179/77, HB)

Pick 59, Carlton: Lloyd Johnston (Northern Territory, 180/80, HB).

Pick 60, Fremantle: Jackson Broadbent (PT, 201/100, Ruck).

Pick 61, Essendon: Jayden Davey (OC, 179/79, SF).

Pick 62, Western Bulldogs: Hudson O'Keefe (OC, 201/91, Ruck).

Pick 63, North Melbourne: Phoenix Foster (Norwood, 196/85, KF).

Pick 64 Gold Coast: Tyrell Dewar (Subiaco, 185/70, SF).

Pick 65, Collingwood: Paul Pascu (CC, 183/86, IM/HB)

Pick 66, Gold Coast: Taj Cambell-Farrell (DS, 185/84, OM).

Pick 67, Sydney: Callum Verrall (ER, 187/79, HB).

Pick 68, Fremantle: Finn Emile-Brennan (DS, 181/72, HB)

Last edited:

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Good work.

Re: Carlton at Pick 10. I don't see small forward as the issue some make out. We got Motlop last year with our first pick and I can't see that happening again. Durdin is also another we rate internally. Owies has just been given a 2 year deal and we retained Honey for another year as has Cuningham.

Pick 10 will be about picking the best player available. I know we are hoping Phillipou is available and if not him, Hewett or Hollands are options. Hotton I like and think he can play midfield but I don't see us picking him at Pick 10

The Ethan Phillips pick is interesting at 59. We need more KPP depth and he would be a good get. We are looking at Tyreece Leiu but he is more third tall

Good work.

Re: Carlton at Pick 10. I don't see small forward as the issue some make out. We got Motlop last year with our first pick and I can't see that happening again. Durdin is also another we rate internally. Owies has just been given a 2 year deal and we retained Honey for another year as has Cuningham.

Pick 10 will be about picking the best player available. I know we are hoping Phillipou is available and if not him, Hewett or Hollands are options. Hotton I like and think he can play midfield but I don't see us picking him at Pick 10
I like Owies but remain largely unconvinced by Durdin at this stage. Hotton can play midfield and overall I think he's probably what you need in there. Did consider Hewett but went with Hotton in the end.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pick 15, Sydney: Jacob Konstanty (GP, 176/70, Small Forward). This is a tough one to pick, as Sydney are strong in all areas of the ground but I feel like another small forward could be on the menu here, with Konstanty being the obvious one to pick if they do go that way.
Others considered: Brayden George, Sam Gilbey

Pick 18, Sydney: Brayden George (MB, 185/87, Medium Forward). After having him as a chance so often, here's where someone bites on the medium. With George being out of most of next year with an ACL injury, Sydney can sit back and relax about him.
Others considered: Sam Gilbey, Mitch Szybkowski

Don't blame you for the effort but forwards are not a need for Sydney right now as in the small to medium forwards we already have Papley, Hayward, Heeney and also if they are injured we also have Wicks and Ronke in the sidelines.

Right now Sydney desperately need a big bodied inside mid, though if that is not available we also need a Rampe replacement, or a shut down key defender.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I like Owies but remain largely unconvinced by Durdin at this stage. Hotton can play midfield and overall I think he's probably what you need in there. Did consider Hewett but went with Hotton in the end.

Your points are very sound. Internally Owies & Durdin are highly rated. Motlop will be a gun.

I see our focus around outside run and a KPP depth. That's just my take :thumbsu:

Don't blame you for the effort but forwards are not a need for Sydney right now as in the small to medium forwards we already have Papley, Hayward, Heeney and also if they are injured we also have Wicks and Ronke in the sidelines.

Right now Sydney desperately need a big bodied inside mid, though if that is not available we also need a Rampe replacement, or a shut down key defender.
Bringing Francis in indicates that he could end up in that role, plus I still really like Gould in a medium defender role. Don't think your key backs are too bad with the McCartin's both looking strong.
Your points are very sound. Internally Owies & Durdin are highly rated. Motlop will be a gun.

I see our focus around outside run and a KPP depth. That's just my take :thumbsu:
Outside run I can see but I don't really see anybody around your picks for that, hence why I went with the small forward
The recent mail is North going with Sheezel and Wardlaw.
North have committed to Wardlaw, will probably even select him pre Ashcroft bid.
Not the stuff I've seen.
GWS will bid on Ashcroft at #1 because it's stupid not to.

Let him soak up all the pressure of being the #1 pick and take Cadman at #2.
I doubt it. You don't trade up for a guy and then bid on someone else before said guy at #1. It'll be Cadman, Ashcroft, Sheezel and either Wardlaw or Tsatas, with the other going to Essendon

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not the stuff I've seen.

I doubt it. You don't trade up for a guy and then bid on someone else before said guy at #1. It'll be Cadman, Ashcroft, Sheezel and either Wardlaw or Tsatas, with the other going to Essendon

Twomey said at the end of last nights broadcast that he expects the first 4 order to be (excluding Ashcroft):

GWS: Cadman
NTH: Sheezel
NTH: Wardlaw
ESS: Tsatas

Twomey said at the end of last nights broadcast that he expects the first 4 order to be (excluding Ashcroft):

GWS: Cadman
NTH: Sheezel
NTH: Wardlaw
ESS: Tsatas
I've seen most suggest tsatas over Wardlaw but I'd prefer Tsatas at Essendon so eh

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
The recent mail is North going with Sheezel and Wardlaw.
Agree with you here. I haven't heard or seen recently Wardlaw not in the top 3. I'd be surprised if he slips past North's picks.

I was hoping that we'd take him before we traded back.

Pick 9, West Coast: Reuben Ginbey
Pick 13, West Coast: Elijah Hewett
Pick 21, West Coast: Sam Gilbey
Pick 29, West Coast: Ed Allen

All pretty predictable selections for West Coast as they are all WA lads. I'd be happy if we took either Mackenzie or Hollands with either of our first two picks.

Good effort eth-dog. :thumbsu: Appreciate the effort and a great read.

Awesome work. Incredibly difficult and time consuming task

Given the age of buddy and Reid I'm what is likely their final year, If he's still on the take at 14 I'd like the swans to take jefferson
I really like McDonald, McLean and Amartey as a future combo
McKenzie is a fair slide to 10.
Don't reckon he's gets past us at 7.
I think you take Clark if available. Otherwise I would agree in that you in that Mackenzie goes to you.
Do you have us live trading pick 25?
Slides back to 28 due to bids on Ashcroft, Fletcher and Davey

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Fourth round:

Pick 54, North Melbourne: Jake Walker (Glenelg, 183/80, IM).

Pick 55, Port Adelaide: Harry Lemmey (WA, 199/83, KF).

Pick 56, Richmond: Archie Lovelock (Glenelg, 178/72, OM).

Pick 57, Geelong: Blake Drudy (OC, 177/73, OM).

Pick 58, Hawthorne: Harvey Gallagher (BP, 179/77, HB)

Pick 59, Carlton: Ethan Phillips (Port Melbourne, 196/90, KD).

Pick 60, Fremantle: Jackson Broadbent (PT, 201/100, Ruck).

Pick 61, Western Bulldogs: Hudson O'Keefe (OC, 201/91, Ruck).

Pick 62, North Melbourne: Phoenix Foster (Norwood, 196/85, KF).

Pick 63, Gold Coast: Tyrell Dewar (Subiaco, 185/70, SF).

Pick 64, Gold Coast: Taj Cambell-Farrell (DS, 185/84, OM).

Pick 65, Collingwood: Lloyd Johnston (Northern Territory, 180/80, HB).

Pick 66, Sydney: Callum Verrall (ER, 187/79, HB).

Pick 67, Fremantle: Finn Emile-Brennan (DS, 181/72, HB)
Great effort. Like the Roos later picks!!

Just hope you have Wardlaw and Tsatas in the wrong spots.

I’d be pretty disappointed if we went a small forward and a general forward at our two first rounders. We either need a Kennedy replacement (and Kinear Beatson has said that’s a target area) OR we need KPP either back or forward. Can’t see us going those two, do like the players though.

Great effort though.

Back