Toast Ethan Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a big Hughes fan, but is there room for just one of Hughes/Hill/Conca next year?

If everyone is fit out back 6 is probably -

B- Ryan Pearce Conca/Hughes/Hill
HB- Young Logue/Hamling/Cox Wilson

One of those 3 (Hughes/Hill/Conca) could potentially be on the bench but hopefully there's some strong competition for spots in our 22 next year. We have 10 quality backmen jostling for 7 spots in the 22.

I reckon it depends on who we are playing and what they decide to do with Conca going forward. He has shown he can be a very effective tagger.

I reckon it depends on who we are playing and what they decide to do with Conca going forward. He has shown he can be a very effective tagger.
We can still fit both. Conca takes perhaps Hill’s spot. Hughes over Duman then Logue comes in. Ethan isn’t getting pushed out of the 22.

We can still fit both. Conca takes perhaps Hill’s spot. Hughes over Duman then Logue comes in. Ethan isn’t getting pushed out of the 22.

It's hard to see Hill playing regularly if we stay fit in 2021.

There needs to be a balance between talls and smalls but our batting order down back probably looks something like -
Pearce
Ryan
Hamling
Logue
Wilson
Young
Hughes
Cox
Conca
Hill

There needs to be a balance between talls and smalls but our batting order down back probably looks something like -
Pearce
Ryan
Hamling
Logue
Wilson
Young
Hughes
Cox
Conca
Hill

We could quibble on the order but that’s not the point, I think you’ve got the top 10 and it doesn’t include Duman or Watson and there’s still backup with Thomas and then Walker to come.

I think we should try to trade Duman. He’s played well enough this year to be worth something perhaps. Could possibly get a 3rd. Even a 4th is still handy points for the NGA bids.

If no interest then he stays for deep depth.

Pearce
Ryan
Hamling
Logue
Wilson
Young
Hughes
Cox
Conca
Hill
I'd say Conca is above Hughes and Cox if Pearce/Hamling/Logue are all fit. Someone has to have lock down ability in the back six and Wilson/Young isn't going to do it. I think Wilson should be a bit nervous going into next year.

I'd say Conca is above Hughes and Cox if Pearce/Hamling/Logue are all fit. Someone has to have lock down ability in the back six and Wilson/Young isn't going to do it. I think Wilson should be a bit nervous going into next year.
Wilson is the only one with real run in the backline. He'll get nervous if Walker comes in and looks the goods straight away.

We could quibble on the order but that’s not the point, I think you’ve got the top 10 and it doesn’t include Duman or Watson and there’s still backup with Thomas and then Walker to come.

I think we should try to trade Duman. He’s played well enough this year to be worth something perhaps. Could possibly get a 3rd. Even a 4th is still handy points for the NGA bids.

If no interest then he stays for deep depth.
Trade Duman and promote Watson.

We need extra points for Walker and Western.
I agree. If everyone is fit and on the track over summer (unlikely) I wonder if we'll try Wilson or Young on the wing at training.
The amount of good defenders we have and the lack of premier wingers its worth a go.

Been an interesting Journey from him so far.

Picked up as a rookie pick as a 19 year old.

Had his debut game at 20 years and 272 days as freo rested a few blokes in round 23, 2015.

Played 5 games in that disastrous 2016 season.

Played 17 games in 2017 when we finished 14th.

Played only 5 games in 2018 and some people thought he could of been on the chopping block an delisted.

Played 21 out of a possible 22 games in the back 6.

Played all 17 games in 2020 as an undersized key defender with Pearce, Hamling and Logue out injured.

Last edited:
Been an interesting Journey from him so far.

Picked up as a rookie pick as a 19 year old.

Had his debut game at 2 years and 272 days as freo rested a few blokes in round 23, 2015.

Played 5 games in that disastrous 2016 season.

Played 17 games in 2017 when we finished 14th.

Played only 5 games in 2018 and some people thought he could of been on the chopping block an delisted.

Played 21 out of a possible 22 games in the back 6.

Played all 17 games in 2020 as an undersized key defender with Pearce, Hamling and Logue out injured.
Hughes was drafted at end of 2014 in the 15 rookie draft, so it only took him 23 rounds to debut, not 2 and a half years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get this after yesterday. 19 touches and a goal, one of the few runners in our team with an afl standard tank and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't get the continued Hughes hate. At worst he is Par. At least he made the distance from 40m+

Is he really much different than the bevy of hard working defensive minded mids that most of the top sides of the last 10 years have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back