Toast Ethan Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could Ethan be one of the first to graduate from the Freo Bigfooty annointed "dumb arse" brigade to (mostly) fan favourite?

No, because Hughes has always been good. He was just an easy whipping boy for most on here, but a few people could actually see how good he was and how much he was playing above his weight for his size, experience and pick from the start.

From 2017:

1600241785158.png

;)

The Bennell and Blakely call is a thing of the past now tho' :drunk:

He had me on board last year against Geelong when he sold some candy and hit a target inside 50 lace out.

Not a superstar by any stretch, but the exact kind of player every good squad needs. Seems to have worked hard on ironing out the flaws in his game too.

Definite B22 for mine.

He goes so hard at some ground balls that I'm worried he'll get injured or suspended but I'm sure his teammates love seeing it.

Happy to cop to being one of those who judged him unfairly off the back of a couple of high profile howlers.

It's great to see more than a few of the Escaped Goat brigade finding a happy niche under JLo and stepping up as a result. Feels similar to how guys like Mundy and Johnson came on under Ross after looking a bit lost in stretches under Harvey.

I love Hughes and I'm sure he'd be a favourite of any coach he plays for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could Ethan be one of the first to graduate from the Freo Bigfooty annointed "dumb arse" brigade to (mostly) fan favourite?
Yeah... nah. Don’t think he’s ever been a true member of the Dumb-Arse brigade. He’s flirted on the edges on the odd occasion, but he’s never been part of that special club.

Prior to this season I had a high degree of confidence in placing him in the dumb-arse brigade. Now I’m happy to elevate him to the good foot soldier company.

He is a bit like Tabs for me, clearly he can play but you remember every time he stuffs up because it is such a howling disaster. But overall his good outweighs the bad, is definitely best 22 now and I think like Tabs he can go to another level in the future.

Gotta be honest I thought he had no chance to carve out an AFL career when he debuted with a bunch of other riff raff in the final round of 2015 when we rested everybody.

He's no fuss and has progressively gotten a bit better every year to become a tough, reliable defender. Seems to have ironed out the howlers this year too. Even with the list of big names the fans want to squeeze back into the defence, I wouldn't be surprised if he still plays a stack of games next year because he just has that sort of resilience about him and flies under the radar.

Gotta be honest I thought he had no chance to carve out an AFL career when he debuted with a bunch of other riff raff in the final round of 2015 when we rested everybody.

He's no fuss and has progressively gotten a bit better every year to become a tough, reliable defender. Seems to have ironed out the howlers this year too. Even with the list of big names the fans want to squeeze back into the defence, I wouldn't be surprised if he still plays a stack of games next year because he just has that sort of resilience about him and flies under the radar.

He does the selfless things a defender needs to do, also hard at it, which you need in a couple of your defenders.
He’s clearly b22 this year and will start in b22 next year.

I've always been a fan of the bloke, he's a ******* beast, hope he's a solid part of our team for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it when someone comes off the rookie list to a well earned place in the B22. They can only do that through sheer hard work and determination. Every business needs people like this to succeed because they place so much more value on earning success rather than being gifted success.

In many ways Fyfe is like that, he was a skinny country kid who worked his arse off to be the best in the game. Luke Ryan another who has come from a long way back and Shultz looks like he might be another.

Love it when someone comes off the rookie list to a well earned place in the B22. They can only do that through sheer hard work and determination. Every business needs people like this to succeed because they place so much more value on earning success rather than being gifted success.

In many ways Fyfe is like that, he was a skinny country kid who worked his arse off to be the best in the game. Luke Ryan another who has come from a long way back and Shultz looks like he might be another.
And Matt Taberner. Not many players come off the rookie list to be one of the best key forwards in the game. Took him a while to be get there, but injury didn’t help him at all. A lot of people forget he was a rookie.

Due to big numbers of "da yoof", we've seen various howlers along the way. There are always howlers, even from the best of the best. But plenty of us have
mistaken in the last few years, inexperience for spudiness. That and that the very best, the Fyfes, Bontimpellis etc make everyone else look ordinary, when they are still excellent players and athletes.

He’s an underrated jet. He’s as much as responsible for the defence holding sway then Ryan is. Hughes comes in, reads the ball in the air beautifully and marks/spoils at the right time. Great season from him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s top 5 Doig. Ryan, Hughes, Tabs, Cerra certainties.

He’s an underrated jet. He’s as much as responsible for the defence holding sway then Ryan is. Hughes comes in, reads the ball in the air beautifully and marks/spoils at the right time. Great season from him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s top 5 Doig. Ryan, Hughes, Tabs, Cerra certainties.
Not sure Cerra had the consistency for top 5.

Ahead of Fyfe and Brayshaw? I think you are a tad optimistic.

I'm a big Hughes fan, but is there room for just one of Hughes/Hill/Conca next year?

If everyone is fit out back 6 is probably -

B- Ryan Pearce Conca/Hughes/Hill
HB- Young Logue/Hamling/Cox Wilson

One of those 3 (Hughes/Hill/Conca) could potentially be on the bench but hopefully there's some strong competition for spots in our 22 next year. We have 10 quality backmen jostling for 7 spots in the 22.

I'm a big Hughes fan, but is there room for just one of Hughes/Hill/Conca next year?

If everyone is fit out back 6 is probably -

B- Ryan Pearce Conca/Hughes/Hill
HB- Young Logue/Hamling/Cox Wilson

One of those 3 (Hughes/Hill/Conca) could potentially be on the bench but hopefully there's some strong competition for spots in our 22 next year. We have 10 quality backmen jostling for 7 spots in the 22.
Yeah, the 7th man spot should essentially come down to Conca/Hughes IMO. Incredible depth with a terrific system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back