Cryptocurrency mega-thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So I am thinking of buying some crypto. Am looking at buying a hardware wallet, and have commenced the process of signing up to btcmarkets. Is that all I need to do, or am I missing something in between security wise? Thanks.

So I am thinking of buying some crypto. Am looking at buying a hardware wallet, and have commenced the process of signing up to btcmarkets. Is that all I need to do, or am I missing something in between security wise? Thanks.

There should be some decent guides from reputable sources on the internet, otherwise, perhaps some of our regulars on the forum can help.

I have a question for you though, why do you want to buy crypto? (Particularly now)

I'm a fundamentals kind of guy when it comes to investing, only put money in something that I understand and don't throw money at anything that promises excessive returns or has already seen excessive returns. Through some research, I do believe the crypto technology has a lot of offer, I am struggling to understand where value can be found in the individual versions of the technology (at this point in time at least).

My favourite alt coins that I'm going to sit on for a few years

Digibyte
Monaco
Cardano
Iota

I expect Monaco to be the biggest at this stage, but you hear more hype on cardano and iota.

There should be some decent guides from reputable sources on the internet, otherwise, perhaps some of our regulars on the forum can help.

I have a question for you though, why do you want to buy crypto? (Particularly now)

I'm a fundamentals kind of guy when it comes to investing, only put money in something that I understand and don't throw money at anything that promises excessive returns or has already seen excessive returns. Through some research, I do believe the crypto technology has a lot of offer, I am struggling to understand where value can be found in the individual versions of the technology (at this point in time at least).

Well, I feel like investing some money, so I'm tossing up between crypto, or putting more into the ASX. Just thought I'd explore all avenues, ASX would obviously be much "easier" considering I already have an account etc.

What are peoples thoughts on the following:

Ripple
Monero
Neo

Looking at putting a bit more money into various alts but haven't decided on which ones exactly.

Only heard mainly good things

ripple I've heard amongst all the good things is hyped more than it will achieve, but it's progressing on point with its hype in comparison to any negativity about it

monero has already made many wealthy, I missed out of course and have interest outside of those you have mentioned

I'm getting into the market next week.

Looking at using Coinspot. And perhaps ETH as a major and maybe Aragon (ANT) as a spec.

Any thoughts/tips for a newbie?

PS can someone send me the PM from earlier in the thread..??

This is more of my thoughts here from another thread:

Current thinking is. Investing approx 80% of the funds on a 'big player' (or two). I think the yahoo/google' mypsace/facebook (etc) analogies are strong. Someone once said, you don't want to be the one who cuts the path, he makes all the mistakes. You want to be the one who comes in behind him.

Hence, thinking of getting on Etherium (maybe splitting with another larger currency). Not BTC, which although extremely expensive, experts continue to back.

Then using the remainder on some lower priced, more 'spec' options.

I'm getting into the market next week.

Looking at using Coinspot. And perhaps ETH as a major and maybe Aragon (ANT) as a spec.

Any thoughts/tips for a newbie?
Im going to have a crack using coinspot too, small money initially to minimise risk, just a piece of the next pay packet I can afford to risk.

Thinking of going 70/20/10 between ETH, a semi established one and a speculative one.

Anyone here had experiences with coinspot?

Im going to have a crack using coinspot too, small money initially to minimise risk, just a piece of the next pay packet I can afford to risk.

Thinking of going 70/20/10 between ETH, a semi established one and a speculative one.

Anyone here had experiences with coinspot?

I use CoinSpot, the fees suck but it’s easy to use and I can trade in the alt coins I’m interested in. Plus if you pick the right ones, you make the fee back pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coinspot here too. After you've been OCD about crypto for a few months it becomes clearer what a coins worth should be at a particular juncture in time. Its been fun.

I kept 2 lots rolling from coin to coin that I would sell then reinvest after a 10-15% rise. I used the growth as investment for bitcoin i didnt have to come up with myself. It needs time though, gotta be able to watch it closely, do some research. Time I have though cause i'm a stay at home dad. If your starting, use small sums and remember, don't invest anything if your not prepared to lose it. I would add (and im no economist) that this seems viable only in the markets infancy, once it become mainstream and mature, I don't think this will be viable/as viable.

While the market it is up and down there is a little money in it. Alot of pump n dump going on atm.

Last edited:
this might not be for me, no patience, bought sold between 10+ alt coins the last week numerous times, with intention to hold for months to years. wtf is wrong with me

this might not be for me, no patience, bought sold between 10+ alt coins the last week numerous times, with intention to hold for months to years. wtf is wrong with me

I’m good at holding, the issue I have is that I just keep buying. Not good.

Anyone have a good site that charts the price changes of the various cryptos?

Coin Stats app is pretty cool and I use crypto trader to watch trends on Ether and BTC if on mobile and I go to www.cryptowat.ch to view minute by minute movement on my Mac if there is activity going on. This enables you to also gauge what could happen as trading volumes are graphed for you.

Best thing is to open tabs on all your coins so you aren't wasting time clicking on various coins all the time. Furthermore, the price changes can be viewed from the tabs.

BTW, Iota looking really good at the moment. Jumped on it a few weeks ago, but only bought a small amount.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/04/cryptocurrency-iota-rallies-after-launch-of-data-marketplace.html

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back