Eth's 2017 Phantom

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see you guys needing small defenders. Clavarino is a player that can play that role
Maybe, but we definitely need small defenders. Sinclair and Ramsay are still uncontracted and look like possible delistees, which leaves Murray, who’s never even played a senior game, and Crisp as our small defenders given that the club has stated he will be pushed in to the midfield next year.
You could argue we have Smith as well, but his first instinct is to kick sideways and backwards and he’ll never be a linebreaking type like Richards is.

Clavarino would definitely be on our radar at 38 if he’s available.

Great job. I wouldn't focus too much on selecting talls for Richmond though.

Strong indications say we'll be going beat available regardless.

Fair enough.

Pearce is a good player but he can't stay on the park. Logue is the ultimate 3rd tall, athletic, strong and a good kick. Cox I see as a forward honestly.

You need a lot of things. I feel like Cox will be better forward. The locality also helped in that regard.

Marsh is a player that will help you. Unsure that Johnson will do much good next year in all honesty.
Pearce has had broken legs. They are (generally) not recurring injuries. Once it heals he should be fine. Fyfe is back from his and Barlow came back from a worse one. It will take him probably the whole season but that is what MJ is for. You certainly don't draft another KPD with pick 5 because he MIGHT not make it. Sure take a bloke with pick 50 (or just keep Collins) but not pick 5.

Just from instances I can remember, Logue played on Cameron and Kennedy at times this year. I am sure there are plenty of other instances of him lining up on genuine KPF prospects that I forget. He is easily athletic enough to play on taller opponents and will continue to do so.

Cox is a defender who just happens to be a handy forward. I would love nothing more than to see him become a gun KPF but I don't think he will. Well at least not a better forward than he is defender. Track back through Peel reports for the season (don't actually, just take my word for it) and you see when he plays forward he gets a bit of it. When he plays defense he dominates.

Don't have an opinion on Marsh really plus I thought he was a midfielder these days anyway? Johnno will play when fit. Sure he might not be fit for more than 10 games but he did roll out for all 22 this year so who knows?

TLDR: If Naughton wasn't from WA (and especially Peel) I guarantee you nobody would have us taking him at 5. If we truly believe he is too good to pass on as a player (like clearly in the top 5 for the draft) then I hope we take him. For any other reason it is a MASSIVE pass from me - like would genuinely rather reach for Hayes.

We got lobbe and casboult to support kreuzer in ruck. Midfielders this year

Exactly. We may well take on a project ruck prospect in the rookie draft but that's it.

Trading a ruckman in later in the list rebuild is what most teams are doing these days anyway.

You got a lot of mids in the trade period, and your future forward line is looking strong. Take the ruck now.

A lot of mids? You mean Kennedy and Lang? We lost one of our best mids in Gibbs. Our midfield is thin as well as guys who can kick goals and rotate effectively through the middle. That is one of our biggest weaknesses, midfield rotations are a problem.

A combination of something like Rayner and Brayshaw or LDU/Dow and Fogarty is what we need.

Adding aggression mongrel and skill with LDU and Fogarty along with Cripps, Kennedy and SPS sets us up next 10 years....

Exactly. We may well take on a project ruck prospect in the rookie draft but that's it.

Trading a ruckman in later in the list rebuild is what most teams are doing these days anyway.

A lot of mids? You mean Kennedy and Lang? We lost one of our best mids in Gibbs. Our midfield is thin as well as guys who can kick goals and rotate effectively through the middle. That is one of our biggest weaknesses, midfield rotations are a problem.

A combination of something like Rayner and Brayshaw or LDU/Dow and Fogarty is what we need.

+1

I doubt, and hope we don't take Naughton. Not that I don't like him, just that we don't really need another KPD. We went with Logue last year so I expect two dangerous mid/fwds this year. Hopefully Rayner and Stephenson/Fogarty.
Obviously I don't know alot about fremantle, but didnt you just delist Sam Collins because you guys had "too many key defenders" as Collins said.
Between Hamling, Alex Pearce, Johnson, Logue and Cox (who plays forward currently but was drafted as a defender) would you realy want to spend another 1st round pick on a KPD. Brander is a far more likely option IMO.

Obviously I don't know alot about fremantle, but didnt you just delist Sam Collins because you guys had "too many key defenders" as Collins said.
Between Hamling, Alex Pearce, Johnson, Logue and Cox (who plays forward currently but was drafted as a defender) would you realy want to spend another 1st round pick on a KPD. Brander is a far more likely option IMO.

Isn’t this KPF / KPD distinction a bit of a crock at U18 Level?

Collingwood have just decided to try to turn Darcy Moore into a defender after 3 years out of TAC. I’m sure I can think of a few more examples if given a bit of time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t this KPF / KPD distinction a bit of a crock at U18 Level?

Collingwood have just decided to try to turn Darcy Moore into a defender after 3 years out of TAC. I’m sure I can think of a few more examples if given a bit of time...
From memory Moore played alot (if not majority) of KPD in his u18 days. So its not a totally new thing for him. If anything Collingwood tried to shoehorn him into a forward.

Not sure what it has to do with my post but I think there is a distinction. Buddy franklin didnt play in defence at all in u18's and there is a reason for that. Hurley and Rance were both fulltime defenders at u18 level as well.

So I think for certain players then No, you are wrong and there is a distinction at u18 level between the two. Some guys are just naturally more inclined to one position. Versatility is great, but forcing it or trying to remove the dichotomy is not always the best thing to do.

Yeah we did. I think it's just "link the W.A KPP to Freo" thing personally. Brad Lloyd our list manager said we went talls last year and that we'll target mids/fwds this year. Only way I see us picking Naughton is if we think he can be a dominant forward IMO.

Round 2

20. Richmond: Callum Coleman-Jones (SA, 199/98 F/R)

21. Richmond: Patrick Naish (VM, 180/69 OM). Bid by West Coast. Richmond use 25 to match, 41 points left over, moving pick 25 back to pick 70.

22. West Coast: Aiden Bonar (VC, 190/89 BM)

23. Brisbane: Connor Ballenden (Queensland, 199/96 F/R). Bid by North Melbourne. Brisbane us picks 40 and 44 to match. Pick 44 moves to pick 58.

24. North Melbourne: Noah Balta (VM, 194/92 KF)

25. Geelong: Nathan Kreuger (SA, 194/83 Key Swingman)

26. West Coast: Brandon Starcevich (WA, 187/88 IM)

27. GWS: Charlie Spargo (NSW, 175/73 F/M)

28. GWS: Lachlan Fogarty (VM, 179/75 BM)

29. Melbourne: Ryley Stoddart (VM, 183/73 OM)

30. Carlton: Nathan Murphy (VM, 188/84 Utility)

31. Melbourne: Dylan Moore (VM, 175/66 F/M)

32. West Coast: Tim Kelly (WAFL, 183/80 IM)

33. Sydney: James Worpel (VC, 185/84 IM)

34. St. Kilda: Zac Bailey (Northern Territory, 180/68 IM)

35. Geelong: Ed Newman (VM, 183/80 HB/IM)

36. Melbourne: Harrison Petty (194/81 KD)

37. West Coast: Liam Ryan (WAFL, 184/76 SF)
Good call with a bid for Naish at 21 by West Coast, I am expected that too. It would be a smart move by West Coast as it takes out a pick between their next pick at 26.

I would have thought that Toby Wooler gets picked up in the draft. What's the knock on him?

Last edited:
Adding aggression mongrel and skill with LDU and Fogarty along with Cripps, Kennedy and SPS sets us up next 10 years....
pretty much who I want Fremantle to take, or Rayner at 2. Quite a few Phantoms have Fogarty magically getting through to Adelaide, which is a tad romantic.

As usual, I'll do a phantom draft as one of the ones who don't follow the u/18's as much as others. I'll probably do 4 rounds. And like previous years I will also try to do a "true" phantom draft, removing picks in terms of Father Son or Academy bids as I go. Write ups will be first round only. Anyway, here goes nothing:

1. Brisbane: Paddy Dow (Victoria Country, 184 cm/78 kg Inside Midfielder): I feel like Brisbane's biggest area of concern for the future is their inside midfield, and Dow fills that void well. They have great KPP stocks at either end once you include Ballenden.

2. Fremantle: Cameron Rayner (Victoria Metro, 187/88 Forward/Midfielder): Rayner is almost the perfect Weller replacement. Powerful, smart around goals, great kick and brilliant through the midfield. Perfect fit for the Dockers at this pick

3. Carlton: Luke Davies-Uniacke (VC, 187/85 IM): Tall, strong, clearance winner, he ticks all the boxes for Carlton here to help Cripps on the inside of a stoppage. A trio of Cripps, LDU and SPS for the next 10 years? As an Essendon fan I'm pissed.

4. North Melbourne: Jaidyn Stephenson (VM, 189/76 F/M): I remember watching Stephenson as a 16 year old win a TAC GF off his own boot and my immediate thought was "I want that kid at Essendon whenever his draft is". Unfortunately he's lived up to his talent and unless there's a curious case of OP he won't last to pick 48.

5. Fremantle: Aaron Naughton (Western Australia, 194/84 Key Defender): Naughton is a mid sized Key Defender who works hard. He and Griffen Logue sort out Fremantle's key defensive stocks for a decade whilst they fix other areas around them.

6. Collingwood: Nicholas Coffield (VM, 190/83 Half Back/Midfield): Now personally I think Collingwood should be taking Brander at this pick but all the rumours heavily suggest that it will be Coffield who they take here.

7. St. Kilda: Adam Cerra (VM, 186/85 Balanced Midfielder): Cerra is a player who can do most things to a very good standard which is what will appeal to the Saints here. They need more class in the midfield and Cerra provides that in spades.

8. St. Kilda: Andrew Brayshaw (VM, 183/80 IM): Like many others have said, Brayshaw is a clone of his older brother. Hard as a cats head, although his disposal isn't quite as good as Angus'. Class act and a steal for St. Kilda at this point.

9. Western Bulldogs: Lochie O'Brien (VC, 184/75 Outside Midfielder): O'Brien is a classy ball user and that's what they need with Bob Murphy's retirement. Great kick of the football and will slot into the Dogs line up comfortably.

10. Carlton: Sam Hayes (VM, 203/93 Forward/Ruck): Carlton need a potential replacement for Kreuzer as he's getting near the end of his career and Hayes fits the bill well. The fact he's best available at this pick as well probably helps.

11. Greater Western Sydney: Jack Higgins (VM, 178/76 Small Forward): Higgins is a small forward with really good speed and goal sense, which would put him right up GWS's alley given the losses of Smith and Johnson.

12. Adelaide: Darcy Fogarty (South Australia, 192/88 F/M): I rate this guy just as highly as Stephenson but injuries have curtailed his year so I expect him to slip to Adelaide who will jump all over this local boy.

13. West Coast: Hunter Clark (VC, 186/79 IM): Clark is your classic teens inside midfielder who does everything to a very good standard but doesn't have a real POD. He's a "safe" pick for West Coast but still fills their void for midfielders.

14. Sydney: Jarrod Brander (New South Wales, 195/90 Key Forward): I'm shocked that Brander has slipped this far in all honesty. A good key forward like him usually goes top 10 and I would have him at 6 to Collingwood no issue but since then nobody has really needed a key forward. Sydney just take him as best available.

15. Brisbane: Charlie Constable (VM, 190/83 IM): Sarge is a player I really wanted at Essendon if he lasted to 11 had we kept it, and I think he fits the mould of the Lions well. Inside midfielder with good disposal? Tick.

16. Western Bulldogs: Joel Garner (VM, 183/81 BM): Big Bird has slipped down a lot of draft boards but I see the Dogs liking his ability to play all across the ground for them, something Beveridge loves in his players

17. Richmond: Oscar Allen (WA, 191/83 KF): Allen is a key forward who could be their Riewoldt replacement down the track, has smart sense around goals and would be a player they need to bring into the club.

18. Brisbane: Matthew Ling (VC, 182/74 OM): Ling is a player I really rate highly due to his speed and skills, but he also has the tendency to run himself into trouble the few times I've watched him play, but it's a safe pick from Brisbane.

19. Gold Coast: Jack Petrucelle (VM, 184/73 IM): Petrucelle is one of those awkwardly placed ones who could go as high as 15 but as low as 35. He's a guy who suits Gold Coast as they just need midfielders by the dozen right now.

I'm shocked that you're shocked given that you're the one who wrote it. :huh:

just a little note....i was at the grand final stephenson played in as a 16 yo against oakleigh chargers...as much as was was easterns best....he didnt win the game of his own boot...cause they actually lost the game by 12 points but hes was the reason they has such a good come back.....great phan draft ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back