Phantom Draft Eth's 2019 Phantom

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year I try to do a "true" phantom, doing my best to calculate how many points every team uses. I'm no draft expert like eDPS or Pie 4 Life by any means but I have watched enough to have an okay idea as to where each player should go (though I invariably forget a very good prospect at some point). I'll probably end up doing 3 or 4 rounds.

First Round:

Pick 1, Gold Coast: Matthew Rowell (180 cm/78 kg, Inside Midfielder, Victoria Metro). Rowell just finds the ball and a lot of it, I feel like the guy Gold Coast will take with pick 2 is better but this was an excellent 2 year period for Oakleigh.

Pick 2, Gold Coast: Noah Anderson (191/86, IM, VM). Anderson is a clearance machine and the player I think will be the best in the draft. I can see him becoming a Patrick Cripps or Josh Kennedy type comfortably.

Pick 3, Melbourne: Caleb Serong (178/88, Small Forward/Midfielder, Victoria Country). Serong really has all the tools to be that Paul Chapman 20 possession a game and 30 goal a year between forward and middle, perfect type for the Dees.

Pick 4, Adelaide: Lachlan Ash (187/83, Half Back, VC). Tough spot to pick. I can definitely see GWS trying to get this pick to jump a bid from Sydney, but who do Adelaide go? I simply went with the player I think is the best available here.

Pick 5, Sydney: Brodie Kemp (192/89, Utility, VC). To bid or not to bid? I'm going with no bid. Sydney desperately need to get a midfielder in for 2021 and Kemp is the perfect Kennedy replacement, so expect them to go with him.

Pick 6, Greater Western Sydney: Sam Flanders (183/82, SF/IM, VC). Regardless of whether they trade up I think they'll go with Flanders, they needed more frontal pressure in that Grand Final and I feel like Flanders will bring that to the table.

Pick 7, Greater Western Sydney: Tom Green (190/89, IM, Allies). If he slips to here there's no way Fremantle don't bid on him. 1315 points needed, GWS match with picks 40, 59 and 60, go into a 582 point deficit in 2020.

Pick 8, Fremantle: Deven Robertson (184/81, IM, Western Australia). The captain of WA and the best player of the championships is an obvious choice here, Robertson will slide straight into Fremantle's side for me.

Pick 9, Melbourne: Hayden Young (188/83, HB, VC). Young is a fleet footed and skillful half back that suits Melbourne to a tee. I can see him projecting to be an outside midfielder at some point in the future.

Pick 10, Carlton: Trent Rivers (188/83, Utility, WA). Rivers is an intriguing one. He's Just a good all-round player and something Carlton can start looking at at this point in time. I see him eventually becoming a midfielder.

Pick 11, Fremantle: Elijah Taylor (187/77, Outside Midfielder/Forward, WA). Reach? Maybe. Fremantle do need to replace Hill, and I see Taylor being similar in a way. Good speed, good skills.

Pick 12, Hawthorn: Luke Jackson (199/94, Ruck, WA). The $729 dollar question is where Jackson goes. Hawthorn just lot Pittonet, and Jackson is a good shout to replace him and take over Big Boy's shoes in a couple of years.

Pick 13, Fremantle: Liam Henry (180/68, SF/OM, WA). Henry is a highly rated player and I can see him getting bid on by Port who need a lot of things really. This is an ideal draft for Freo, getting 2 picks in before the bid on Henry. 970 points to match, matched with pick 22 and 58, which moves back to pick 70.

Pick 14, Hawthorn: Finn Maginnes (189/82, Balanced Midfielder, VM). I can see Port doing a double bid because as I said, they need a lot of things. Hawthorn obviously match the highly rated prospect. 929 points to match, matched with picks 30 and 42, which moves back to pick 65.

Pick 15, Port Adelaide: Dylan Stephens (183/74 BM, South Australia). Late? Maybe. I rate him, I just don't see anyone picking him until now, except for maybe Carlton. Good inside midfielder and a home town boy to boot.

Pick 16, Western Bulldogs: Fischer McAsey (197/91 KPP swingman, VM). Guy is probably the next Cale Hooker or Jake Carlisle. Can play at both ends, tall enough to take monsters and has great hands. Perfect fit for the Dogs.

Pick 17, Geelong: Cody Weightman (178/75, SF, VC). Weightman is one I'm curious to see where he goes. Could go as high as 8, or as low as 25. I think Geelong take a punt on him here.

Pick 18, Gold Coast: Dylan Williams (186/81, General Forward, VM). I don't really see "it" with Williams whenever I've watched him hence his lower ranking but this is around the mark these types go anyway. I can also Gold Coast liking him because he's also a Chargers boy along with their first two picks.

Pick 19, Brisbane: Will Day (189/76, HB, SA). I can see Brissy going Day due to the fact they need speed off half back IMO, and he brings that and then some.

Pick 20, Geelong: Cooper Stephens (187/83, IM, VC). Geelong boy, they need more midfield depth with their aging centre, Stephens fits the mould. I wanted him at Essendon but there's little chance he slips.

Pick 21, Port Adelaide: Will Gould (192/106, Key Defender, SA). Good leader, strong hands, needs to lose weight. Port to jump on another local lad here.

Pick 22, Richmond: Miles Bergman (189/83, OM, VM). Richmond have a good list, I can see them just picking best available every time. Bergman runs hard both ways and is a good kick.

Pick 23, Gold Coast: Trent Bianco (178/73, OM, VM). I went with an outside player here because I can see the Suns wanting more balance in the draft than previous years.

Last edited:
Second Round:

Pick 24, Brisbane: Jeremy Sharp (189/81, OM, WA).

Pick 25, Port Adelaide: Jackson Mead (183/82, BM, SA). 559 points to match, Port Adelaide use pick 31, which moves back to pick 70.

Pick 26, Adelaide: Cameron Taheny (185/80, GF, SA).

Pick 27, Geelong: Josh Worrell (195/83, KPP Utility, VM).

Pick 28, Sydney: Mitch O'Neil (178/69, OM, Allies).

Pick 29, North Melbourne: Sam de Koning (201/86, KPP Utility, VC).

Pick 30, North Melbourne: Kyaisah Pickett (170/67, SF, SA).

Pick 31, Adelaide: Harry Schoenberg (180/78, BM, SA).

Pick 32, Essendon: Sam Philp (186/79, IM, VM).

Pick 33, Sydney: Charlie Comben (199/82, Key Forward/Ruck, VC).

Pick 34, Essendon: Jake Riccardi (195/92, KF, VFL).

Pick 35, Brisbane: Harrison Jones (194/75, KPP Utility, VM).

Pick 36, Collingwood: Trey Ruscoe (190/90, 3rd tall defender, WA).

Pick 37, Geelong: Brock Smith (188/81, Small Defender, VC).

Pick 38, Adelaide: Josh Shute (187/73, OM, SA).

Pick 39, Richmond: Jay Rantall (184/82, BM, VC).

Pick 40, Richmond: Jack Mahony (177/71, BM, VM).

Last edited:

Great work eth, if a bid for Green doesn't come before 6 I'd hope we take Young instead of Flanders just because of Shaw getting on and the view of playing Williams in the middle more

Nice work, Eth. Bit of a disappointing draft from North's perspective but logical as Pickett and De Koning both fit a need. All the players I'd like at our picks were already snaffled up. We currently only have three list spots to fill (after Zurhaar is upgraded) with four picks inside 50, so unless we delist the rookie Tom McKenzie and move someone like Hall onto the rookie list to use 50 I think we'll definitely be bundling picks up.

Don't see outside speed as a need?
Yes. But it’s not a priority need. We signed Ah Chee to play HBF.

Nor do we play traditional wingers. Fagan has made a point about what type of players he wants on the wings. Balanced mids with a strong contested game.

Would much prefer Will Gould or Miles Bergman at our first pick. Both are favourites on the Lions board.

If Day was still there at our second pick, possibly who I’d pick. Otherwise O’Neill or Pickett.

We don’t need any tall forwards. We have a developing Cat B rookie plus a few from the last few drafts. Rantall Is exactly the type of player Fagan wants on the wing. Consider Mitch Robinson played on one wing all season for us. Rantall can’t be any worse of a kick.

You go against the norm sometimes Eth and i love it.

Looking forward to seeing West Coast’s picks when they enter.

Great work eth, if a bid for Green doesn't come before 6 I'd hope we take Young instead of Flanders just because of Shaw getting on and the view of playing Williams in the middle more
I think you'll end up trading with Adelaide anyway. I think half back is the easiest position to fill (as an Essendon supporter, which qualifies me as an expert) and you can always rookie someone. There are state league half backs that will fill that.
I think we take Gould or Bergman who you had going just after our 1st selection, I like Sharp but some on this board say he has no inside game which is a non negotiable for Chris Fagan.
Heavily considered Bergman for your pick. I don't see Fagan liking Gould, and if so fair enough.
Nice work, Eth. Bit of a disappointing draft from North's perspective but logical as Pickett and De Koning both fit a need. All the players I'd like at our picks were already snaffled up. We currently only have three list spots to fill (after Zurhaar is upgraded) with four picks inside 50, so unless we delist the rookie Tom McKenzie and move someone like Hall onto the rookie list to use 50 I think we'll definitely be bundling picks up.
Hard to get a grip on you guys. I can see you guys going a mature ager for your third.
Yes. But it’s not a priority need. We signed Ah Chee to play HBF.

Nor do we play traditional wingers. Fagan has made a point about what type of players he wants on the wings. Balanced mids with a strong contested game.

Would much prefer Will Gould or Miles Bergman at our first pick. Both are favourites on the Lions board.

If Day was still there at our second pick, possibly who I’d pick. Otherwise O’Neill or Pickett.

We don’t need any tall forwards. We have a developing Cat B rookie plus a few from the last few drafts. Rantall Is exactly the type of player Fagan wants on the wing. Consider Mitch Robinson played on one wing all season for us. Rantall can’t be any worse of a kick.
As I said earlier, heavily considered Bergman for your first. Day is every chance of slipping. And I don't particularly rate Rantall from the little I've seen, but exactly the type Richmond go for. Jones went to you because it was like "Wait I have to put him somewhere because he's a gun so here will do".
You go against the norm sometimes Eth and i love it.

Looking forward to seeing West Coast’s picks when they enter.
From memory I gave you a local lad. Will edit tomorrow

Freo will take Jackson before Taylor.
Freo looking at Jackson for their first pick as well as Robertson.
Second Round:

Pick 24, Brisbane: Jeremy Sharp (189/81, OM, WA).

Pick 25, Port Adelaide: Jackson Mead (183/82, BM, SA). 559 points to match, Port Adelaide use pick 31, which moves back to pick 70.

Pick 26, Adelaide: Cameron Taheny (185/80, GF, SA).

Pick 27, Geelong: Josh Worrell (195/83, KPP Utility, VM).

Pick 28, Sydney: Mitch O'Neil (178/69, OM, Allies).

Pick 29, North Melbourne: Sam de Koning (201/86, KPP Utility, VC).

Pick 30, North Melbourne: Kyaisah Pickett (170/67, SF, SA).

Pick 31, Adelaide: Harry Schoenberg (180/78, BM, SA).

Pick 32, Essendon: Sam Philp (186/79, IM, VM).

Pick 33, Sydney: Charlie Comben (199/82, Key Forward/Ruck, VC).

Pick 34, Essendon: Jake Riccardi (195/92, KF, VFL).

Pick 35, Brisbane: Harrison Jones (194/75, KPP Utility, VM).

Pick 36, Collingwood: Trey Ruscoe (190/90, 3rd tall defender, WA).

Pick 37, Geelong: Brock Smith (188/81, Small Defender, VC).

Pick 38, Adelaide: Josh Shute (187/73, OM, SA).

Pick 39, Richmond: Jay Rantall (184/82, BM, VC).

Pick 40, Richmond: Jack Mahony (177/71, BM, VM).

Heavily considered Bergman for your pick. I don't see Fagan liking Gould, and if so fair enough.

As I said earlier, heavily considered Bergman for your first. Day is every chance of slipping. And I don't particularly rate Rantall from the little I've seen, but exactly the type Richmond go for. Jones went to you because it was like "Wait I have to put him somewhere because he's a gun so here will do".
Curious why you believe Fagan wouldn’t like Gould?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious why you believe Fagan wouldn’t like Gould?
I think Gould is a little too heavy for a 3rd tall role which indicates that he doesn't do enough cardio. I also don't see what he brings to a defence with Adams, Harris, Gardiner and now Birchall.

I think Gould is a little too heavy for a 3rd tall role which indicates that he doesn't do enough cardio. I also don't see what he brings to a defence with Adams, Harris, Gardiner and now Birchall.
He pushes for a spot in, and keeps pressure on the best 22, provides instant cover for Darcy Gardiner (shoulder) and Marcus Adams (knee).

Long term he can take anyone of Birchall’s, or Rich’s or Adams spot.

He pushes for a spot in, and keeps pressure on the best 22, provides instant cover for Darcy Gardiner (shoulder) and Marcus Adams (knee).

Long term he can take anyone of Birchall’s, or Rich’s or Adams spot.
I just think your picks are better served elsewhere.

Don't mind the draft from the crows end. Ash or flanders are the players i'd hope we go for. Taheny at our 2nd pick 'might' be a bit of a stretch but i am hoping he ends up with us. Schoenberg looks goot to. Then a second rostrevor lad in schute isn't too bad either..maybe one of these picks would be used on a project KPP.

I am very open to trading pick 4 with GWS for 6 and their 2020 1st if melbourne pass on bidding on green on the night. It would be a steep price to pay from their end but it means they take flanders or ash or kemp etc AND green which would be worth the price imo. We then still get a great kid at 6 and have extra ammo for lukosius or maybe grundy next year(fingers crossed)

McAsey is a very good result for us. He gets to develop at VFL level, and he's a massive Bulldogs fan too.

Interesting read. Taylor over/before Stephens seems an ambitious call for a recruiter to make. I'm not seeing it myself, but do like Taylor. More that Stephens is exactly what we need, and will play immediately.

I am very open to trading pick 4 with GWS for 6 and their 2020 1st if melbourne pass on bidding on green on the night. It would be a steep price to pay from their end but it means they take flanders or ash or kemp etc AND green which would be worth the price imo. We then still get a great kid at 6 and have extra ammo for lukosius or maybe grundy next year(fingers crossed)
It works better for GWS with Adelaide than Melbourne anyway, as they'll need a few mid-draft picks back to match the Green bid without wearing a deficit.

Don't mind the draft from the crows end. Ash or flanders are the players i'd hope we go for. Taheny at our 2nd pick 'might' be a bit of a stretch but i am hoping he ends up with us. Schoenberg looks goot to. Then a second rostrevor lad in schute isn't too bad either..maybe one of these picks would be used on a project KPP.

I rate Ash slightly ahead of Flanders, that's why I went with him. I was very tempted for you to go with Harrison Jones instead of Taheny or Schoenberg. In fact I probably will change it soonish to reflect that, I can definitely see Taheny slipping down the board.

As far as GWS are concerned, I think they'll try to get pick 31 as part of that deal to cover the excess on Green if the bid comes in at 5.
McAsey is a very good result for us. He gets to develop at VFL level, and he's a massive Bulldogs fan too.
Yeah, I don't see you making the same mistake as you did with Carlisle.
Interesting read. Taylor over/before Stephens seems an ambitious call for a recruiter to make. I'm not seeing it myself, but do like Taylor. More that Stephens is exactly what we need, and will play immediately.
I feel like Robertson fills that need, and Taylor is a player that will be better for you when you're in your window.

I just think your picks are better served elsewhere.
I know it’s not easy doing a Phantom Draft.

My points and discussion are based largely in part on information our recruiting team has said in interviews and podcasts, and how many possible picks we’ll take to the draft, and which picks the club has said it would like to trade, and if we’re likely to draft any academy kids.

Noble has said we’re trying to package our first two picks to move up in to the top 10 to 12 picks. And that we have 4 or 5 players in mind for our first pick.

He’s also said we’re trying to trade our late second round pick, 34, for a future pick. Same with one of our later picks.

That we’re potentially looking at bringing in two academy kids, Keidean Coleman and Noah Cumberland.

And that depending on pick trades and further list management decisions, we’ll take 3 or 4 picks to the draft.

We currently have 1 senior list position, and 2 Cat A rookie list positions available, and 3 out of contract players the club has yet to delist, re-sign, or announce we are committed to re-drafting to the rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back