Etihad: Free entry on Sundays for u15s, $3 pies, free water fountains, kicktokick, outside food etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't that kind of Kwality's point though? If it was truly about the fans it wouldn't matter how full the ground was or if the game was being played on a Saturday or Sunday. This move appears to be motivated by self interest and is an attempt to get more people to go to Melbourne games after attendances dropped off last year.

Not quite. What you said we all agree with. K goes a step further though, in that he says it's not a desire to improve its customer appeal that is driving this, but secret hidden afl subsidies that the afl is paying the stadium

The only control Gil has over stadiums in Melbourne is fixturing, same as everywhere else. Bit hard to need 'marketing' in sold out stadiums like Geelong..

The fixture is everything though

Last time the afl wanted to punish Etihad, it did it by moving better games to the g and the lower ones to Etihad

Grounds don't care what Melbourne clubs say, because they know we have to play where the afl puts us

From Etihad Stadium News

The traditional favourite food of the footy fan, Four ‘n Twenty pies will retail at Etihad Stadium games on a Sunday for just $3 – it’ll be the cheapest price for a pie at any of Australia’s AFL venues.

As previously announced, children under the age of 15 will be permitted to all Sunday AFL games free of charge and Etihad Stadium is also delighted to announce that the traditional ‘kick-to-kick’ at the end of Sunday games will be trialled during April and May fixtures.

In other wins for the fan:
  • Regular chips will sell at all AFL matches at Etihad Stadium from a starting point of $4
  • Free popcorn will be distributed at half time to kids at Sunday games
  • Kids’ meal deals will exist at all games – a snack pack of hot chips, a cheese burger and a 350ml Mount Franklin will retail for $8. Each pack will contain a small gift
  • A pot of beer will retail at $5 at all games
  • The venue will install a total of 10 water fountains, providing chilled, continuous water, across all three levels of Etihad Stadium, enabling water to be accessed free of charge at any time throughout a game (some additional partnerships in relation to this program will be announced in the days ahead)
For the entire 2015 Toyota AFL Premiership season, it has also been determined that commercially and domestically prepared food and drinks (other than alcohol and glass ware) will be permitted into the venue.

Yeah good luck getting your 5-year-old out on the ground for a kick without their father being there too. They won't be able to police the age limit

He almost certainly was confused in his tweet

Kids under 15 can play kick to kick? So if I take my 10 year old nephew he can go out there by himself and kick it to...who, exactly?

This doesnt actually seem to be the case. The Etihad Stadium announcement says kids under 15 will get free entry on Sundays, and places no age limit on kick to kick.
http://www.etihadstadium.com.au/news/article/sunday-footy-a-big-win-for-fans-at-etihad-stadium

Not quite. What you said we all agree with. K goes a step further though, in that he says it's not a desire to improve its customer appeal that is driving this, but secret hidden afl subsidies that the afl is paying the stadium

Get it right rfc74, the AFL have a marketing strategy to increase crowds in Melbourne, specifically Melbourne. The MCC are reducing the take on food as are Etihad in line with the aims of the AFL marketing strategy. Contrary to rfc74s earlier attempts to characterise my opinion as a conspiracy, I am of the view the AFL will pick up these costs, (secret hidden AFL subsidies as 74 refers to above), just as the AFL will pick up the admission costs of free entry to stadiums.
Soft soaping only a specified grouping, not fans generally.

Get it right rfc74, the AFL have a marketing strategy to increase crowds in Melbourne, specifically Melbourne. The MCC are reducing the take on food as are Etihad in line with the aims of the AFL marketing strategy. Contrary to rfc74s earlier attempts to characterise my opinion as a conspiracy, I am of the view the AFL will pick up these costs, (secret hidden AFL subsidies as 74 refers to above), just as the AFL will pick up the admission costs of free entry to stadiums.

So it is a conspiracy.

It is amazing how everyone cries poor until a bit of competition comes along.

Poor Foxtel, struggling to make ends meet, Netflix comes around... we will halve our prices. You campaigners.
Its not like they pay tax. Just shift profits and costs between offshore companies and Australia and in Murdochs case get fat subsidies and payouts from the ATO to boot.

What part did I get wrong? You basically agreed with everything I said in my post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad my club, Carlton won't benefit so much as our fixture is full of Friday and Saturday night 'blockbusters'.

The price we pay being one of the league's marquee club's I suppose :(

from a selfish point of view, my 14 year old will be playing footy on Sunday afternoons when the games are free for him to attend.
from an overall point of view: nice initiative
as for those complaining about the quality of the cheap pies, buy something else
of course we want good quality whilst paying nothing. That's human nature, but come on, it IS a business

Remove this Banner Ad

Back