Etihad's roof

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Should it be closed during sunny day games?

For some reason when I watched the Suns Blues game on Saturday I had a hard time following the ball at times (I was watching at a distance from a TV which probably didn't help) and the shadows cast over half the ground made it hard to follow the play at times.

It was mentioned on two footy shows tonight that maybe the roof should be closed because of the shadows.

It's great when you're at the game to be sitting there with the sun out and some fresh air but the roof design does make for some terrible shadows.

So close it or keep it open?

Docklands/Colonial Stadium/Telstra Dome/Etihad has been open for eighteen (18!!!) years and we are still having this discussion...

I remember this same debate was going on the first day the joint was opened (R1 2000).

It’s ridiculous. The sun won’t be going away anytime soon so why hasn’t this issue reached an agreement between stadium management and broadcasters (who must be pulling their hair out when televising games with the roof open)?

Barrett reported on MMM AFL is currently ratifying having the roof closed just enough to put a shadow over the ground, expect an announcement in a couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who wants it open? Broadcasters pay big coin for the rights and they for sure don't, The fans don't.

AFL so outta touch.
The only reason it even needs a retractable roof is for the gardening, and they ****ed that part up anyway. At this stage it would have been better as a permanent roof with UV supplements and we could have avoided this entire constant debate

The roof only looks good open when it's overcast...which means it's a chance to rain...which means it'll be shut. The roof is there for a reason, so just use it. Games are so hard to watch on tv with the shadow, and it's incredibly annoying if you're in the sun at the ground.

Didn't this change a few years ago to always closed for day games? I feel like we had this discussion a few years back and they fixed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back