Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
North Melbourne supporters will soon meltdown if this comes to fruition...

To be punted so close to the election (where they would probably be now playing 3 or 4 games at the venue if the ALP won the last state election) would be a bitter pill to swallow I'm sure!

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Eureka_Stadium.jpg

eureka-stand.jpg

I'm for this, I think it's much better than the perennial second-town shifting that most 'lower' clubs employ. The Bulldogs won't up and leave a stadium built, essentially, for them and I imagine the contract will be a pretty long one. For only two games, three at the most, it's a good move. And I'm personally keen to add another ground to V-Line to – it's always a bit of fun going down to Geetroit for the footy, so another trip to a different town could be a cool addition to the calendar. And no doubt Freo'll end up playing there.

But the place looks like a real shithole. It doesn't seem quaint or pretty like some suburban grounds. It doesn't have any nice surroundings, trees or lakes or houses, it just seems glum. It's like it's in the Falklands or something.

Considering they want to get 20,000 in there and have over a third in a grandstand, how's the plan going to look? Surely they can't have 15,000 people standing out in the open in the middle of a Victorian winter? I imagine they'll scrap the whole ground and build it back up, and there's been examples of minor grounds being fixed up to look great (Lakeside in Melbs, NIB Stadium in Perth) but the budget doesn't seem massive. Anyway, keen to see how this turns out.

hawker19

Senior List
Jan 9, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eureka Stadium is cold and windswept and guaranteed to scare away brass monkeys in winter. Any redevelopment must focus on a major stand on the southern wing to block the cold southerlies which terrorise Ballarat every footy season.
That said, it will be great to finally get AFL matches in Ballarat - it has taken far too long for one of the real strongholds of Australian Rules to obtain this status while we've watched other `traditional' footy places such as Cairns, Canberra and Western Sydney get upgrades to host games.
Bulldogs will be certain of attracting at least 10k to any game they play in Ballarat (irrespective of opposition) meaning they'll pocket a nice little profit rather than losing tonnes of cash playing such games at Etihad.
North can rue their bad luck but they couldn't realistically expect the AFL to support them moving into Hobart AND Ballarat.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
North Melbourne supporters will soon meltdown if this comes to fruition...

To be punted so close to the election (where they would probably be now playing 3 or 4 games at the venue if the ALP won the last state election) would be a bitter pill to swallow I'm sure!
wasn't there a promise for Eureka stadium to be upgraded last state election?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I'm for this, I think it's much better than the perennial second-town shifting that most 'lower' clubs employ. The Bulldogs won't up and leave a stadium built, essentially, for them and I imagine the contract will be a pretty long one. For only two games, three at the most, it's a good move. And I'm personally keen to add another ground to V-Line to – it's always a bit of fun going down to Geetroit for the footy, so another trip to a different town could be a cool addition to the calendar. And no doubt Freo'll end up playing there.

But the place looks like a real shithole. It doesn't seem quaint or pretty like some suburban grounds. It doesn't have any nice surroundings, trees or lakes or houses, it just seems glum. It's like it's in the Falklands or something.

Considering they want to get 20,000 in there and have over a third in a grandstand, how's the plan going to look? Surely they can't have 15,000 people standing out in the open in the middle of a Victorian winter? I imagine they'll scrap the whole ground and build it back up, and there's been examples of minor grounds being fixed up to look great (Lakeside in Melbs, NIB Stadium in Perth) but the budget doesn't seem massive. Anyway, keen to see how this turns out.

NIB is a good example because the budget was very close. $95 million at NIB got a basic stand holding about 8000 on one side and a small stand at the end seating about 2000.

If they can get the $80 million funding they're banking on, you would expect something similar I would have thought. Probably a bit smaller taking into account the slightly smaller budget and that the NIB redevelopment was a few years ago now.

But that's if they get the $80 million. The opposition have only committed $30 million. Where's the rest coming from? Private industry aren't going to be interested for 2 games a year.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
NIB is a good example because the budget was very close. $95 million at NIB got a basic stand holding about 8000 on one side and a small stand at the end seating about 2000.

If they can get the $80 million funding they're banking on, you would expect something similar I would have thought. Probably a bit smaller taking into account the slightly smaller budget and that the NIB redevelopment was a few years ago now.

But that's if they get the $80 million. The opposition have only committed $30 million. Where's the rest coming from? Private industry aren't going to be interested for 2 games a year.
Screw Nib stadium, they built Metricon for 140 odd million.
a 27,500 seater from scratch
are they paying mining wages for workers in Perth now days?

if they are going to spend such a large amount of money on a stadium you may as well build that proposed boutique stadium in the new E Gate Precinct, next to the North Melbourne train station

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Screw Nib stadium, they built Metricon for 140 odd million.
a 27,500 seater from scratch
are they paying mining wages for workers in Perth now days?

Given AAMI park cost over a quarter of a billion for 30k seats, it doesn't get you that much in Melbourne either.

What do you think you'll get for $80m? And 30m for that matter given that's all the opposition has committed.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Given AAMI park cost over a quarter of a billion for 30k seats, it doesn't get you that much in Melbourne either.

What do you think you'll get for $80m? And 30m for that matter given that's all the opposition has committed.
thats an inclosed all seater. is the AFL did something like Metricon, with some part of it still open, as people still like to stand at the AFL it may be able to be done cheaper.

bare in mind, when these stadiums get built they are done so off a long term business model.
metricon stadium has been estimated that over a 10 year stretch it will return over 340 million dollars, more than doubling the investment of 140 million used to build it, several thousands jobs were created for the construction faze as well as the ongoing. as well as the Gold coast has a new asset.

i see your point its basically not going to be cheap & spending so much money in a rural town in Ballarat on just a stadium, is a bit extreme.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It won't be like either of those grounds. Metricon looks pretty good and works well considering the climate and clientele, but it's skeletal. All the amenities are essentially demountables. While AAMI Park is a beaut of a ground and no different to the G or Etihad in that its full of space and amenities. One's probably the cheapest ground in Australia and the latter the most expensive.

I reckon they'll concentrate on one proper grandstand and have the rest of the ground one tier, in something like Manuka's fashion. It'll probably be all-seater but you might have one end that's standing or something. The biggest thing for me is that it looks alright – could end up looking absolutely rooted if they don't get a decent architect in.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Eureka Stadium is cold and windswept and guaranteed to scare away brass monkeys in winter. Any redevelopment must focus on a major stand on the southern wing to block the cold southerlies which terrorise Ballarat every footy season.
That said, it will be great to finally get AFL matches in Ballarat - it has taken far too long for one of the real strongholds of Australian Rules to obtain this status while we've watched other `traditional' footy places such as Cairns, Canberra and Western Sydney get upgrades to host games.
Bulldogs will be certain of attracting at least 10k to any game they play in Ballarat (irrespective of opposition) meaning they'll pocket a nice little profit rather than losing tonnes of cash playing such games at Etihad.
North can rue their bad luck but they couldn't realistically expect the AFL to support them moving into Hobart AND Ballarat.

I like your post, but the sarcasm meter to the bolded is a fair bit higher.

FYI Canberra and Cairns have quite a long strong football history, Canberra in particular, of course not in the same league as Ballarat but impressive nonetheless.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It won't be like either of those grounds. Metricon looks pretty good and works well considering the climate and clientele, but it's skeletal. All the amenities are essentially demountables. While AAMI Park is a beaut of a ground and no different to the G or Etihad in that its full of space and amenities. One's probably the cheapest ground in Australia and the latter the most expensive.

I reckon they'll concentrate on one proper grandstand and have the rest of the ground one tier, in something like Manuka's fashion. It'll probably be all-seater but you might have one end that's standing or something. The biggest thing for me is that it looks alright – could end up looking absolutely rooted if they don't get a decent architect in.

Manuka is probably similar to what they could afford in reality if they can find the $80m. 1 main stand, a couple of scaffold-type stands and perhaps some standing room. Capacity 10-12k or so.

If they can find the $80m.

So the upgrades are going ahead after the election I take it?

When do they expect AFL games to be in ballarat?

2017 was the aim. I guess the speed of the redevelopment could effect that but shouldn't.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
North have a right to be even angrier.

I doubt there'll be games even played there - it's been two days and the pledge has already look uglier: less money, another year. Even if the games get up I doubt it'll be a long term commitment. People are going to be quickly indifferent to paying AFL prices for a VFL-level stadium (in fact, even Vic Park would be a nicer, more appropriate ground) in the freezing cold, while the rotation of Freo/Port/GWS/Eagles/Crows/Suns gets unappealing.

This ground'll be a total shithole. You can get away with it in Canberra because it's tokenistic and hours from Sydney or Melbs. While places like Cairns and NT are just happy to have games and the AFL'll lower their ground standards for a single game. But this thing? Ballarat people live, what, an hour from the city? They would much rather see their team play at a nice, plush stadium an hour away. That's not to mention the fact you could see, say, Hawks - Swans on a Friday and make a weekend of it. Or just a day.

But how many people will rally behind this?

And I say this as someone interested in stadiums and who wants to see plenty of grounds pop up. But this'll be *in glum.

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
North have a right to be even angrier.

I doubt there'll be games even played there - it's been two days and the pledge has already look uglier: less money, another year. Even if the games get up I doubt it'll be a long term commitment. People are going to be quickly indifferent to paying AFL prices for a VFL-level stadium (in fact, even Vic Park would be a nicer, more appropriate ground) in the freezing cold, while the rotation of Freo/Port/GWS/Eagles/Crows/Suns gets unappealing.

This ground'll be a total shithole. You can get away with it in Canberra because it's tokenistic and hours from Sydney or Melbs. While places like Cairns and NT are just happy to have games and the AFL'll lower their ground standards for a single game. But this thing? Ballarat people live, what, an hour from the city? They would much rather see their team play at a nice, plush stadium an hour away. That's not to mention the fact you could see, say, Hawks - Swans on a Friday and make a weekend of it. Or just a day.

But how many people will rally behind this?

And I say this as someone interested in stadiums and who wants to see plenty of grounds pop up. But this'll be ****in glum.
True but for people in the Wimmera and other surrounding areas this is great news, now places like Ararat, Stawell, Beaufort, Clunes ect.. (all footy mad) can go and see an AFL game without having to travel up to 3 hours or more. I don't think having a regional stadium out west is that bad of an idea but I guess only time will tell

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
True but for people in the Wimmera and other surrounding areas this is great news, now places like Ararat, Stawell, Beaufort, Clunes ect.. (all footy mad) can go and see an AFL game without having to travel up to 3 hours or more. I don't think having a regional stadium out west is that bad of an idea but I guess only time will tell
This has to be a long term plan. The facilities on the northern wing will remain, with slight upgrades to the rooms and broadcasting areas...a few yeas back they had a preseason game there and the picture kept dropping out constantly. The southern wing will get a nice 6000 seat stand and you would imagine there will be some landscaping behind each of the goals for the time being to improve standing room, plant some huge trees to block some of the wind like they have done for most of the Central Highlands grounds, and maybe even have some room for temporary stands at the Creswick Road end. Like others have said this would be a ground more like Manuka than anything, we do have a couple of great little boutique grounds here but Eastern Oval and City Oval are constrained by limited space whereas the Showgrounds has ample room on either wing and if they were half serious about the ground they could build a basic train station on the Maryborough line across the road for easy access. $30 million will be just enough to get the ground up and running, the surface is already outstanding with a nice cover and brilliant drainage during the winter. That being said you would imagine the AFL would schedule matches there in April and May before the really heavy rains come.

On the pledge itself, it hasn't changed at all. The $35m was for a number of sports infrastructure projects in Ballarat and was never just for the showgrounds and the timing hasn't officially been pushed back yet either. Ballarat people will turn out to watch these games without a doubt. And just for the local leagues too it will be great to finally have the finals in a ground where everyone can finally get a decent view. It may only be two or three AFL games a year, but you can be certain a half decent stadium built in Ballarat would be sold out for the BFL and CHFL grand finals and possibly even the Semis. Add to that the odd shield game that Cricket Victoria is keen to brin to regional Victoria once a suitable venue is built and then the ground makes a bit more sense. Will also be good to see concerts moved away from North Gardens where the facilities are non-existant and the ground cant handle too much foot traffic.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
I know the train runs past pretty close to the ground but how far away is the actual station? I went here once to a VFL match and the ground was on the outskirts of Ballarat rather than close to the CBD. The facilities there now are only average for VFL standard too, the visitors coaches box is on top of an old shipping container.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
I know the train runs past pretty close to the ground but how far away is the actual station? I went here once to a VFL match and the ground was on the outskirts of Ballarat rather than close to the CBD. The facilities there now are only average for VFL standard too, the visitors coaches box is on top of an old shipping container.
About 2.5km away from Ballarat Station, and a similar distance from Wendouree Station. Buses from the station would be the obvious solution for the time being. Yeah it's not great by any stretch but it does have all the basics.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Images and information announced for the new Ballarat AFL ground:

LAND_BallaratStadiumPic2.jpg

• $15 million cost with construction to start next year (after consultation with town residents)
• 11,000 total capacity with 5,000 seats with cover
• The oval itself will be the same size as Etihad
• A few works have already started (light posts, video screens, drainage, AFL-standard changerooms, improving the surface)
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-20/eureka-stadium-plans-unveiled
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-20/bulldogs-ballarat-plans-one-step-closer

HERO_BallaratStadiumPic3.jpg

LAND_BallaratStadiumPic1.jpg

Personally, seems an alright looking little venue for Ballarat itself and for the AFL. The biggest issue I see is the obvious cheapy construction of the exterior. It looks like it'll be built akin to Metricon and NIB in Perth, where there's basically no wall and no actual concourse. I mean it's cheap and it works better than a potentially hot and stuffy walled-concourse, but those grounds are in warmer towns. Ballarat's apparently absolutely freezing... then again so's Geelong and Simonds isn't that bad if you rug up enough.

I'm sure Freo'll be shafted to play up there in 2017 so I'm looking forward to checking out a brand new oval in Victoria. I really like the look of the rest of the ground too.

• $15 million cost with construction to start next year (after consultation with town residents)
• A few works have already started (light posts, video screens, drainage, AFL-standard changerooms, improving the surface

I'm sure Freo'll be shafted to play up there in 2017 so I'm looking forward to checking out a brand new oval in Victoria. I really like the look of the rest of the ground too.
They will do a stage 2 for 20k attendance, unfortunate that wouldn't be ready by 2017 for our matches. Freo won't play us, it will be Port or Adelaide as asked by Ballarat. That also makes travel easier.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

• A few works have already started (light posts, video screens, drainage, AFL-standard changerooms, improving the surface)
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-20/eureka-stadium-plans-unveiled
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-20/bulldogs-ballarat-plans-one-step-closer

Personally, seems an alright looking little venue for Ballarat itself and for the AFL. The biggest issue I see is the obvious cheapy construction of the exterior. It looks like it'll be built akin to Metricon and NIB in Perth, where there's basically no wall and no actual concourse. I mean it's cheap and it works better than a potentially hot and stuffy walled-concourse, but those grounds are in warmer towns. Ballarat's apparently absolutely freezing... then again so's Geelong and Simonds isn't that bad if you rug up enough.

who on earth did the sums to come up with a stadium that looks like that will cost only $15 million?
its gotta be a typo with real costs of $150 million at least

Back