Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes book the reichstag online and you will be in the elevator within 5 minutes. If it says it's booked out, just log on in the morning, ie before 8, and there will be heaps of free times available for that day. I'm not wanking on at all about Berlin, it doesn't even make the top 3 of my favourite German places. But to say Berlin is boring after 3 days is just absurd. What did you actually do there?

Last edited:
Reichstag had a massive line. The galleries also had so many people in them it was basically pointless. I like the place but come on. The worst thing about Berlin is stupid ******* Aussies preaching about how well they know it, how often they go, and how everyone else has to see what's so amazing and thrilling about the town. No other nationality protects Berlin so much and wanks on about it.
Listening to verbose know-it-alls without a great depth of knowledge would be annoying.

Got any tips for this? I'll be over there by myself in about a months time, was a bit undecided whether it would be worth trying.

Know some German (I.e be able to say how many people you're with etc) and research the DJs that are playing whilst you'll be there. They'll most probably ask you who you're here to see.

Sven is an absolute brute, and it's quite savage seeing people line up for 5 hours to be knocked back without so much as a 'not tonight'

Probably better to go Sunday morning till close to be fair - Saturday night is peak

Hey all I'm heading to Europe in 6 weeks and trying to book my flights atm. Should I fly Thai Airways or Qantas/Emirates? Thai Airways $100 cheaper and both fit my schedule. Would prefer flying on the A380 though so tough decision....thoughts?

Korean air man. Usually can get under $1850 into Paris. Fly from Syd, you get a free night in Seoul or Inchon at the grand Hyatt. Great way to see another city

The Reichtstag line is only massive because people can't be bothered to check online that they need to pre book a timed slot in advance online and then have to queue for said slot rather than turning up on time with a slot and not having to queue. Not the fault of the city you didn't check in advance.

http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kuppel

You sound like you wanted a private showing? Galleries in major European cities will have people, when you go you should try and avoid a peak period or a free open day.

You don't like it, fine. But maybe with a little research you could of done a better job of it and enjoyed it more. I find Yanks, Canadians, Brits and plenty of Europeans go on about the city so maybe Australians aren't the only ones and you should get out a bit more.
Alright, very fair, in the first one, my fault and an oversight. But this was at the end of my travels when I was knackered and not thinking straight aboutt hose things.

But hey another ******* Aussie blindly defending Berlin when others have differing opinions. People have such a hard-on for the joint and it's disproportionate. People call me a hipster on this forum and yet it's obvious all the scenesters are in here raving about 'Sven' and whatever else. I like the city and I wouldn't say I was 'bored' after three days, but I think it's the sort of place highly reliant on having a big group of mates, some hedonists, and some local contacts to really show you the best of the city. Sometimes that doesn't pan out, so how can you really say that's the fault of the traveller?

Also, yes I realise the popularity and magnet effect on museums. But ultimately the German ones weren't hugely profound and seemed to have a conscious decision to deflect away from the war (fair) and focus on Egypt or something a bit ill-fitting. I wasn't massively impressed, the buildings around the galleries were really nice and the garden area a great place to hang for an hour in the afternoon, but it was way too packed for what it was. The British Museum, the Louvre, and even Copenhagen had much more allure and interesting stuff and way bigger spaced and way less people. I just thought it was too busy for what it was. I know that isn't Berlin City Council's fault. I know. But it's still a complaint. If you lose your s**t, get mugged, or get lost in a city you have rights to call it s**t... doesn't mean you're going to hold a grudge against its citizens.

So uptight!

You do know there is a museum in the centre of Berlin based solely on the nazi party and ww2?

Also the German history museum is one of the better museums I visited, having areas on both ww1 and ww2

The Egyptian museum probably focuses solely on Egyptian stuff, as it has done for 150 years

You do know there is a museum in the centre of Berlin based solely on the nazi party and ww2?

Also the German history museum is one of the better museums I visited, having areas on both ww1 and ww2

The Egyptian museum probably focuses solely on Egyptian stuff, as it has done for 150 years
Nice reply. With smuggery this heavy I'm betting you sent this from your iPhone from The Bird while talking about Lame Impala. Get your hand off it mate, Berlin isn't that great – your hard on is ludicrous.

While drinking my overpriced 'craft' beer whilst wearing my skinny jeans? You seem to not know Berlin well at all. I was merely pointing out some details that might help other travellers.

While drinking my overpriced 'craft' beer whilst wearing my skinny jeans? You seem to not know Berlin well at all. I was merely pointing out some details that might help other travellers.
Yeah sure you were mate. You're the sort of bloke who riles someone up, gets a deserved smack in the face, and cries foul when it's happened.

AKA the sort of campaigner who lives in Perth and wishes they lived in the most go-to city in Europe. Grow up Bitburger.

I like Berlin for the same reason I like London, Krakow and Budapest. There's a wide variety of things to see and do, good culture, plenty of cheap places to grab a meal and offers something for everyone :)

Yeah sure you were mate. You're the sort of bloke who riles someone up, gets a deserved smack in the face, and cries foul when it's happened.

AKA the sort of campaigner who lives in Perth and wishes they lived in the most go-to city in Europe. Grow up Bitburger.

Why the personal attacks? I actually have not lived in Perth for 8 years and chose München as my home base for a year rather than Berlin. Myself and another poster have given reasoning as to why Berlin is better than what you say it is after your 3 days of know all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But hey another ******* Aussie blindly defending Berlin when others have differing opinions.
'
In fairness, you seemed pretty keen on it until others started pumping it up. I wouldn't say he was blindly defending Berlin, either. He addressed your issues with Berlin which were based off a bit of ignorance on your part.
Also, yes I realise the popularity and magnet effect on museums. But ultimately the German ones weren't hugely profound and seemed to have a conscious decision to deflect away from the war
I mean come on.

But hey another ******* Aussie blindly defending Berlin when others have differing opinions.

There are differing opinions and then there is offering up correct information for your benefit and others who might find it useful when planning future trips of their own. I made the same Reichtstag line mistake, so I would of liked the same info in advance.

The fact you can't separate the two types of posts is funny to say the least.

People have such a hard-on for the joint and it's disproportionate. People call me a hipster on this forum and yet it's obvious all the scenesters are in here raving about 'Sven' and whatever else. I like the city and I wouldn't say I was 'bored' after three days, but I think it's the sort of place highly reliant on having a big group of mates, some hedonists, and some local contacts to really show you the best of the city. Sometimes that doesn't pan out, so how can you really say that's the fault of the traveller?

That is just a long paragraph that reads "I didn't do any research, did the bog standard stuff and the (insert city here) wasn't for me"

Berlin wasn't my favourite city (that honour belongs to Vienna), so I have no dog in the fight to defend it as you might like to claim. But you if you bothered to do some research either before you left Australia or once you arrived you could of had a slightly better experience. You don't need a group of mates, hedonist or local contact to show you the best of the city (really only locals can help on that front, the others are pointless other than for going out).

No need to attack others for pointing out correct information for the benefit of others who use this thread to research their trips

You planning on attending any Bundesliga/insert other league here matches while your over there?

Heh funny you say that, I'm off to the Olympiastadion in a couple of hours for the first Hertha game of the season!

Should be cool just to see a match in such a storied venue. I've got decent seats sort of diagonally adjacent to the Ostkurve so I can see their shenanigans and watch the game at the same time

Heh funny you say that, I'm off to the Olympiastadion in a couple of hours for the first Hertha game of the season!

Should be cool just to see a match in such a storied venue. I've got decent seats sort of diagonally adjacent to the Ostkurve so I can see their shenanigans and watch the game at the same time

Sweet

Went there myself for a Hertha game 18 months ago first game back after the winter break and the Ostkurve were calling for the managers head. They got it 24 hours later:D

Make sure to enjoy a beer and the game

Bloody hell Gibbsy I damn well hope you stayed until the very end....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You bet!!! One of the most exciting matches I've been to in my life... What a way to become emotionally invested in a team! The whole league is run so very professionally, train travel was a piece of piss to get from Friedrichstraße to Olympiastadion and back, had a really great day.

Hey guys, any recommendations for a city to visit over winter/Christmas? I'm particularly interested in seeing cool sights and a decent nightlife would be a plus.

I'll hopefully have already done most of Croatia as well as Prague, Vienna and Bratislava by then, so any other city recommendations would be much appreciated.

Hey guys, any recommendations for a city to visit over winter/Christmas? I'm particularly interested in seeing cool sights and a decent nightlife would be a plus.

I'll hopefully have already done most of Croatia as well as Prague, Vienna and Bratislava by then, so any other city recommendations would be much appreciated.

Christmas is done really well over there, with Christmas markets usually around for the whole of December in places like Germany/Austria. Vienna has a huge market that you could visit if you are there before the actual 25th to get a feel of that sort of thing. Likewise Dresden and Nuremberg and Prague, actually any city around this part of the world. I spent last Christmas in Prague which was ok, they had an open air concert in the main square and some things happening up in the castle. I think on Christmas Day and eve the nightlife stuff was closed but I could be wrong.

Any city with a nice old town would probably be your best bet for a traditional fairytale Christmas or I'm sure somewhere like Barcelona you would get the party Christmas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back