Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually during my recent trip I didn't hear too many Aussies. The ones I did were behaving, as were the Americans. It was actually the poms going around like rowdy morons, especially in Prague.
I heard lots of yanks in Scandanavia for instance, and they were not unpleasant in any way.

Most travellers are scungey dickheads.

Personally hate Canadians more than anyone, New Zealanders have the same inferiority complex too.

Of course loudmouth Aussies are embarrassing but I never got how people talk up 'chill Germans' or whatever. Eurotrash are just that.

Most travellers are scungey dickheads.

Personally hate Canadians more than anyone, New Zealanders have the same inferiority complex too.

Of course loudmouth Aussies are embarrassing but I never got how people talk up 'chill Germans' or whatever. Eurotrash are just that.
Wow I find this post incredibly narrow minded. Scungey dickheads, really? Where have you been staying? Made many German friends while traveling.

Do you think people who live off tinned tuna and wear tie-dye and white boy dreadies are cool?

And people who talk about the 'energy' of hostels?

Do you think people who live off tinned tuna and wear tie-dye and white boy dreadies are cool?

And people who talk about the 'energy' of hostels?
You said most travelers. Not the case that I've experienced this year. In saying that I'm staying at well rated hostels that are a little more expensive so maybe avoiding the noodles and pasta eating travelers.

I've not heard one person mention the energy of a hostel the entire year.

Dreadies and tie dye shirts, where have you been staying? What you have mentioned has not been my experience this year.

When was the last time you stayed in hostels and were they cheaper places?

So whilst this isn't Europe, has anyone done a stop over at Doha and have any tips on what to do/see? Going to have 24 hours there coming back from Germany

They say 'like' a lot don't they?
I know this post wasn't meant for me, but yes, they literally do.

I'm pretty excited for my mum. She turned 60 last August and as a gift I've paid her an all expenses paid trip to Europe for her birthday. She's never left Oz and she arrives next Monday. Gonna take her to London, Paris, Spain and all the places I know in the south of France. I can only spare a month off of work, but I reckon she's gonna love it.

Been keen for a eurotrip over the June/July period for a while, been getting in my mates ears about it for the last year or two but they've been lazy and put it off a few times. Been very keen to go in 2017 but my hopes are fading and I'm sort of expecting the wrong answer. I think at this rate it's likely to happen again, and they won't want to do it until 2018. I can't bare waiting that long, however.

So it leaves me the option of waiting another year or potentially traveling solo.

Anyone who's done Europe solo before rated it? I'm sure it would be an amazing experience and I'm not generally expecting any negative answers, but to be honest the prospect of doing it solo daunts me a bit. I'm a clumsy bloke at the best of times and can just imagine myself getting into all sorts of bother over there.

Any recommendations on whether to do it next year or wait it out till 2018? If so for doing it solo, any advice/experience?

Cheers

Been keen for a eurotrip over the June/July period for a while, been getting in my mates ears about it for the last year or two but they've been lazy and put it off a few times. Been very keen to go in 2017 but my hopes are fading and I'm sort of expecting the wrong answer. I think at this rate it's likely to happen again, and they won't want to do it until 2018. I can't bare waiting that long, however.

So it leaves me the option of waiting another year or potentially traveling solo.

Anyone who's done Europe solo before rated it? I'm sure it would be an amazing experience and I'm not generally expecting any negative answers, but to be honest the prospect of doing it solo daunts me a bit. I'm a clumsy bloke at the best of times and can just imagine myself getting into all sorts of bother over there.

Any recommendations on whether to do it next year or wait it out till 2018? If so for doing it solo, any advice/experience?

Cheers

Cannot recommend doing it solo highly enough. You answer to no-one, do what you want, when you want. Wanna stay a couple of extra days in a city that you really liked? Just do it. If you know one person over there that either lives there or is travelling there it can be nice to meet up with them for a day or two just to break things up, but that's only a "nice to have" and not a "need". Going solo pushes you out of your comfort zone, but the choice is totally up to you whether you want to meet people while over there and hang out with others all day, or just go it alone. i found that a balance of the two worked best. Enjoy, whatever you do.

Cheers

Went solo when I was 19 cause none of my mates could get together enough cash for the trip in time. I just said screw it and went on my own even though I was very hesitant about doing it on my own, I hadn't even travelled interstate on my own. You'll learn a lot doing it for the first time, especially whether travelling solo is your thing or not, but you'll never know until you try it. I ran into quite a bit of problems during my first travel alone but it exposed me to things that I wouldn't have had I had someone else there, at the end of the day those things ended up helping me in the long run whether that's with time management, planning, mind set or what ever. You'll also be inclined to mingle and meet people if you're alone and I have no doubts I wouldn't have met the people I did had I been with a mate. The very fact that it scares me was what made me want to do it to be honest, I really wanted to get out of my comfort zone and do things I usually wouldn't especially since I got right into full time work after high school so didn't really have a gap year or do anything special after so many years of schooling. These days I enjoy travelling alone but at times I find some places better to travel with other people.

I'm glad I didn't wait for my mates though, because it's been 3 years and those mates who said they wanted to go with me originally have yet to go to Europe.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went solo when I was 19 cause none of my mates could get together enough cash for the trip in time. I just said screw it and went on my own even though I was very hesitant about doing it on my own, I hadn't even travelled interstate on my own. You'll learn a lot doing it for the first time, especially whether travelling solo is your thing or not, but you'll never know until you try it. I ran into quite a bit of problems during my first travel alone but it exposed me to things that I wouldn't have had I had someone else there, at the end of the day those things ended up helping me in the long run whether that's with time management, planning, mind set or what ever. You'll also be inclined to mingle and meet people if you're alone and I have no doubts I wouldn't have met the people I did had I been with a mate. The very fact that it scares me was what made me want to do it to be honest, I really wanted to get out of my comfort zone and do things I usually wouldn't especially since I got right into full time work after high school so didn't really have a gap year or do anything special after so many years of schooling. These days I enjoy travelling alone but at times I find some places better to travel with other people.

I'm glad I didn't wait for my mates though, because it's been 3 years and those mates who said they wanted to go with me originally have yet to go to Europe.

How'd you end up in the Netherlands, Gigantic? I'd seriously consider going back over there to work for 12 months in 2018, dependent on employment down here obviously.

Cannot recommend doing it solo highly enough. You answer to no-one, do what you want, when you want. Wanna stay a couple of extra days in a city that you really liked? Just do it. If you know one person over there that either lives there or is travelling there it can be nice to meet up with them for a day or two just to break things up, but that's only a "nice to have" and not a "need". Going solo pushes you out of your comfort zone, but the choice is totally up to you whether you want to meet people while over there and hang out with others all day, or just go it alone. i found that a balance of the two worked best. Enjoy, whatever you do.

Yeah great point. The whole comfort zone scenario was one of the main reasons why I'm considering it, feel like it's something I need to do for myself as well.

I guess the question would be whether I'd want to do it in a group setting (eg contiki) or just answering to nobody and doing as I please, like you said.

I feel like I wouldn't even know where to begin if I went purely solo though. Seriously, I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of bookings, hostels, transportation, language barriers etc, extremely uneducated on it all...The whole idea of it stresses me out but excites me all at once haha

Yep, I'll be 22 next year so a similar sort of scenario. I figure it won't get particularly easier to do this as the years go on either, what with full time work on the horizon for most etc

How'd you end up in the Netherlands, Gigantic? I'd seriously consider going back over there to work for 12 months in 2018, dependent on employment down here obviously.

Studying over here for a year. Love it here and I could definitely see myself working and living here. I had an opportunity to extend my stay even longer and do an internship over here but it just wouldn't work out as I need to be back home next year.

Europe is a great place for first time solo travel as there are so many others doing it and transport (buses, trains, planes) options are endless and relatively cheap.

If you are worried about doing it solo maybe throw in a couple of small tours but I don't think it's necessary. Just be open to conversation in hostels and thibgs will work out making friends wise.

Go for it I say!

I have travelled to the US with mates for a couple of months but I think I prefer going solo.

I did 4.5 months in Europe by myself and I did do a 24 day contiki to begin with to 'ease in' and it was amazing but I'll never do a tour like that again and just organise everything myself. The last 4 or so months backpacking solo really is freedom.

Can't recommend it enough going solo. It's easy to do. I would recommend the following.

- buy a eurorail pass for as many journeys as you can afford. Ultimate flexibility to just get s**t done. If you hate a place, get on the next train. Saved us big time from that shithole called Pamplona last year

- stay in as many 'nice' hostels as you can. Use HostelWorld to book or at least check out hostels. This is far better than contiki. You'll meet great people who will want to hang out with you and see stuff. Much easier if you're by yourself or with one other to integrate into other people's plans. I ended up ditching plans I had and travelled for a while with some people I met in Portugal. Was amazing.

- don't be afraid to have a 'day off'. Go sit in a laundromat and do your washing. Drink 4 coffees and try to read a foreign paper. Put up your feet and watch tv. Constantly sight seeing is tiring and burns you out. Even hanging in the hostel bar with people you've just met can be the downtime you need

- if you can afford it - treat yourself to a nice hotel once or twice. It makes such a difference

- to add to the above point. Maybe a private room in a young persons airbnb property. Read their profile to make sure they are your cup of tea. I've got lifelong friends from an airbnb in Paris

- go to Portugal. It is hostel heaven.

currently 20% off ... so 15 days travel within 2 months is AUD $719. a steal.

http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes

Isn't it just. I got a promo deal at the time of mine where I got two free days, so 12 in 2 months was my pass. I moved a lot quicker through Western Europe than I did Eastern, just in terms of time and distance. Obviously in Western Europe the high-speed trains were plentiful; there was no way I was doing anything other than the train to get from Barca to Paris (bear in mind I was making decisions day by day so flights weren't really an option). The bus was apparently like 20 hours.

But come Eastern Europe, buses are pretty much the same travel time as trains for much cheaper and honestly the FlixBuses and their subsidiaries are actually pretty comfortable. So in hindsight I would have just got a Pass for one month and not two, but I definitely recommend it. The other two months of my trip I was in UK (National Express coaches) and Germany/Netherlands/Belgium (cheap Flixbuses)

Can't recommend it enough going solo. It's easy to do. I would recommend the following.

- buy a eurorail pass for as many journeys as you can afford. Ultimate flexibility to just get s**t done. If you hate a place, get on the next train. Saved us big time from that shithole called Pamplona last year

- stay in as many 'nice' hostels as you can. Use HostelWorld to book or at least check out hostels. This is far better than contiki. You'll meet great people who will want to hang out with you and see stuff. Much easier if you're by yourself or with one other to integrate into other people's plans. I ended up ditching plans I had and travelled for a while with some people I met in Portugal. Was amazing.

- don't be afraid to have a 'day off'. Go sit in a laundromat and do your washing. Drink 4 coffees and try to read a foreign paper. Put up your feet and watch tv. Constantly sight seeing is tiring and burns you out. Even hanging in the hostel bar with people you've just met can be the downtime you need

- if you can afford it - treat yourself to a nice hotel once or twice. It makes such a difference

- to add to the above point. Maybe a private room in a young persons airbnb property. Read their profile to make sure they are your cup of tea. I've got lifelong friends from an airbnb in Paris

- go to Portugal. It is hostel heaven.

It's amazing that even the 10th or 12th rated best hostel in Lisbon is still better than the top rated hostel in so many other cities. Same goes for Porto too. Portugal is a dream, really looking forward to going back.

I really didn't factor washing clothes into my travel and it really does take up a fair bit of time. Some days you can't be arsed and often that coincides with the point of re-wearing jocks which is a bit disgusting but justifiable if you've just got off a long train ride or something like that. I reckon I was washing/drying everything once a week for four months. Really should have brought more underwear.

Solo is great but people'll never tell you of the angst and loneliness it can cause. I only had two months there and crammed in a fair bit, despite never spending less than about three days in a town. Towards the end I lost the buzz and the final 10 days or so were a push to get through – it's not just the inevitability of having a week or two where you don't have a proper ally, but it's the toll of 100% decision making. It is draining to have to consider all of this yourself: if you miss a train, you're the one to blame, if you're confused then you're always the one asking for directions, and if you want to just have a low-key, effortless chat, then you'll have to wait six hours and do it via sms anyway.

I had about three weeks when I stayed with a friend in Stockholm and travelled in Denmark and Spain for a fortnight with another great mate, but ultimately it was tough work.

I think if you're going for more than seven or so weeks, definitely do what people like Gibbsy have advised and rest.

I'm looking at spending about six weeks across Europe and the UK next year, but then going straight to the US for three or so months straight after. I reckon I'll spend a good week doing absolutely nothing in Italy, and from then on, having a day every week where all I do is washing, sitting around checking emails, bumming around on my phone, and not walking 25Ks plus a day. Every month I reckon I'll try and find 5-6 days in a full block to do almost nothing in one city somewhere.

I really didn't factor washing clothes into my travel and it really does take up a fair bit of time. Some days you can't be arsed and often that coincides with the point of re-wearing jocks which is a bit disgusting but justifiable if you've just got off a long train ride or something like that. I reckon I was washing/drying everything once a week for four months. Really should have brought more underwear.
Two days wearing em the right way 'round, one day back to front, one day inside out, and one day inside-out and back-to-front!

They also double as fantastic hand-sized towels in filthy hostel toilets. True...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back