Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

anyone ever travelled iceland or norway? got a spare few months up my sleeve next year (March-april) and really want to visit these places for their landscapes and beauty, i am a cameraman and really want to make a few videos using my drone and canon, time-lapse the northern lights is a dream I've always had...i understand there most prevalent in Winter so worried March may be getting too late.

I went to Iceland in March (many moons ago) and it was -8 and snow everywhere.

Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I went to Iceland in March (many moons ago) and it was -8 and snow everywhere.

geez thats so cold, did it influence your enjoyment of your visit? i don't really have a choice, has to be March or perhaps September/October for work reasons, planning on renting a car and just sort of going around the island slowly for a week or so before moving to norway

geez thats so cold, did it influence your enjoyment of your visit? i don't really have a choice, has to be March or perhaps September/October for work reasons, planning on renting a car and just sort of going around the island slowly for a week or so before moving to norway

Loved it, just rug up. I was only in Reykjavik though.

If you want to travel some distance, I'd suggest September.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I have Finland and Norway on my list to do this winter before I go back home. Have heard nothing but great things about Norway especially. I hear Tromso is a great place to go for the Northern Lights?
Tromso is where my gf lived before I stole her to Australia, would be a great place being a single guy.. 3 to 1 girls to guys....

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
It was -13 C in serbia last night where i was.. ****, i love europe but this time of the year is unbearable for me. Travelling to Bucharest for business tomorrow where its predicted to be -8.

Yeah that sucks.

Snow forecast for Hamburg tonight. Would be fun to wake up to some white

What other countries in Europe get around fireworks on NYE? We spent about €100 last night on our own. The Germans are crazy about it!

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Yeah that sucks.

Snow forecast for Hamburg tonight. Would be fun to wake up to some white

What other countries in Europe get around fireworks on NYE? We spent about €100 last night on our own. The Germans are crazy about it!

Krakow ditched fireworks after the effects the loud noises had on animals. We had a laser show instead apparently.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone got any recommendations for cool dinner spots in Berlin? Doesn't matter what - as long as I can take a pram there!

There was a really good burger restaurant on Friedrichstraße that I can't recall the name of but it was packed full that I had to wait for a table so it must be alright, you'll find it if you walk down towards the station, I think it's on the opposite side

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
There was a really good burger restaurant on Friedrichstraße that I can't recall the name of but it was packed full that I had to wait for a table so it must be alright, you'll find it if you walk down towards the station, I think it's on the opposite side

Ended up going to Schiller Burger in Neukolln which was unreaaaaal.
1e718cbc1558f0ccdd711563c45a9e46.jpg

Also, if you want to visit Berlin, check out the Mercure in Neukolln. It's 300m from a u-bahn, 400m from Templehof Airport, and there's heaaaaps of great new places to eat in the area. We got a double room for $100 per night inc buffet breakfast, which had hands down the best scrambled eggs I've had from any buffet, and would put many Sydney cafes to the sword.

Also, five elephants is a must for coffee and cake, specifically their Philly cheesecake.

a2bce70a6ee037d804658c5bebf7fb56.jpg

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ended up going to Schiller Burger in Neukolln which was unreaaaaal.
1e718cbc1558f0ccdd711563c45a9e46.jpg

Also, if you want to visit Berlin, check out the Mercure in Neukolln. It's 300m from a u-bahn, 400m from Templehof Airport, and there's heaaaaps of great new places to eat in the area. We got a double room for $100 per night inc buffet breakfast, which had hands down the best scrambled eggs I've had from any buffet, and would put many Sydney cafes to the sword.

Also, five elephants is a must for coffee and cake, specifically their Philly cheesecake.

a2bce70a6ee037d804658c5bebf7fb56.jpg

Nice one. I'm envious! Would love to return to Berlin some time soon.

Sammymoite

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Gday guys, quick question to anyone with any clue:

If i wanted to do a eurotrip in the summer (June-August) then when is it realistically too late to book it all?

Hypothetically, if you were a lazy bastard who's put things off and not saved up enough money (eg, me) and wanted to book within the next 3-4 weeks would that be doable? Or have I left it too late? Take into consideration I'm a Uni student too FWIW

Cheers. Just see so many people book it much earlier than me so I'm curious

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC

If i wanted to do a eurotrip in the summer (June-August) then when is it realistically too late to book it all?

Hypothetically, if you were a lazy bastard who's put things off and not saved up enough money (eg, me) and wanted to book within the next 3-4 weeks would that be doable? Or have I left it too late? Take into consideration I'm a Uni student too FWIW

Its the most expensive time to visit, as far as accommodation goes, plus its really busy. If cash is a worry I would recommend autum or spring. Its quieter too.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree with going in late spring or late summer if that's an option, however if the middle of their summer is the only time you can go its not too late. Now some hostels may be booked out and you might be stuck with some average rated ones, but you'll find stuff no doubt. It will be expensive and remember that any coastal/island town will be expensive and busy during this time of year.

But summer in europe is great. Long days and sunsets close to 10pm, festivals and the like.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I agree with going in late spring or late summer if that's an option, however if the middle of their summer is the only time you can go its not too late. Now some hostels may be booked out and you might be stuck with some average rated ones, but you'll find stuff no doubt. It will be expensive and remember that any coastal/island town will be expensive and busy during this time of year.

But summer in europe is great. Long days and sunsets close to 10pm, festivals and the like.
as I always say - put portugal on your map. its so much cheaper than a lot of other places, and the hostels are some of the best in the world - the independente in Lisbon and the Tattva Design Hostel in Porto are two I'd definitely recommend.

Also check the Airbnb market - some people may have forgot to put their price up for summer yet, so you might get lucky.

Out of interest, where are you thinking of going?

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I went mid August last year and didn't book anything until probably 2 months before and had no trouble finding good accommodation and really cheap flights. I guess that might be a little bit off the real 'peak' but you certainly haven't left it too late at all.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I went at the start of July and didn't book anything until a couple of months out. Flights don't usually increase drastically until it gets really close to the date so I would just wait but be vigilant about looking for deals that come up. There are always airlines offering something. Bit annoying when you pull the trigger early then see someone come out with a deal that would've got you over there for $200 less.

As for accom, I didn't even book anything until I was over there. We sometimes found it hard to get hostels in the more popular cities and if I had my time again I'd definitely book more in advance but I just hate being locked in to a trip prior to even getting there. If you want to go to any festivals or concerts they need to be looked at now (festivals may already be too late) but I wouldn't stress too much at this stage.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

I booked for late May to the end of July in like... March maybe. It wasn't any earlier than January and very well may have been the middle of February. I went over there with nothing but instructions of where to meet a mate in Stockholm and a flight from Copenhagen to Malaga. And some bands to see in London. Did all my trains off a Eurail and linking flights a few days out and even my return flight like half-way in.

The biggest drama I had was one night in Barcelona, we had to stay in this s**t eco hostel which was absolutely dead while all the other ones were packed. It was cool.

If you're a student, I reckon go to the east. Places like Spain aren't especially cheap, but Budapest was outrageous when I look back. I barely saw any of the sights, I just walked around one side of the city and played five-a-side with random kids. It was like $50 for a day – I was having two good meals a day and about 10 pints. I swear I paid no more than like $4 for a kebab and $2 for a beer. Have a weird feeling the hostel I stayed at was expensive though, but it was probably the best of all the ones I had to put up with. I've never been farther east than that but places like Croatia are becoming trendy with wank like Sail Croatia so there are probably worse places to spend six weeks.

I would love to go to Europe in like September or October and stay for a Christmas. I love the colder weather and have always imagined London as those little strips of shops in places like Highbury and Dalston and it being bleak rainy days and those cinematic cold nights. It's just way easier to go in summer because people have their time off and a lot of events occur obviously in their summer. I'm looking at going in June for a few weeks but I'm focusing on Italy, Greece, and possibly Portugal this time which obviously suits summer.

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm planning on going on a working holiday in Europe for 3/4 months from the start of next year before I travel around eventually getting to the World Cup in Russia. I know UK has plenty of working holiday arrangements for Australians but it'd be one of my last choices purely because the place doesnt appeal to me much; anyone know of effective ways to get short term work on Mainland Europe, preferably Western Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden etc...)? As I'll be spending most of my travel time in the east and want to see as much as I can :thumbsu:
Any help will be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
I anyone know of effective ways to get short term work on Mainland Europe, preferably Western Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Australia, Sweden etc...)?

You can try working and getting paid under the table, buts its very hard, if you want to work in these countries you need a work visa. UK workholiday visa does not give you the right to work outside of the UK.I am an employer in Switzerland and hiring non-EU employees for genuine skilled work is getting harder and harder. You need to ask the bars and the pubs/supermarkets if they will let you work illegally. (Indian supermarkets do that often).

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can try working and getting paid under the table, buts its very hard, if you want to work in these countries you need a work visa. UK workholiday visa does not give you the right to work outside of the UK.I am an employer in Switzerland and hiring non-EU employees for genuine skilled work is getting harder and harder. You need to ask the bars and the pubs/supermarkets if they will let you work illegally. (Indian supermarkets do that often).
Yea, I've heard Switzerland is one of the harder places to find short term work because they obviously cater for their own population first which is obviously fair enough. I have access to Polish (EU) passport, it's just really expensive for me to get but from what people are saying sounds like it'll be worthwhile for me to get it or at least make it a lot easier for me.

Back