Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, Berlin is very much a “live like a local” city.

So pick a good cafe to start every morning with, obviously check out Brandenburger Tor, the Bundestag, the Holocaust memorial etc. check out the wall, but do it on the north side, rather than checkpoint Charlie. There will be way less tourists.

I’d grab a bike for those days if you can - you’ll see much more that way instead of being stuck in the metro.

Definitely have some cheesecake and coffee from five elephants in Kreuzberg (the OG store). It’s still the best.

There’s a really old Jewish bakery on the other side of the Görlitzer park that does the most unreal and big-as-your-head Pfannkuchen (what Berliners call Berliners )

Also, you’ll be fine with no german. Most people speak English there - to the point when I try and speak german with them they revert to English cos they can’t understand

If you’re there in early August, the European athletics champs are on at the Olympic stadium. Late August and youve got Bundesliga.

There’s also Potsdam a short train ride away and Leipzig a bit of a longer ride away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies and Gents of BF need some advice.

My wife and I are turning 40 next year and we are planning on a traveling to Europe in Dec 19/Jan 20 for 4-6 weeks with our kids who will be 10 and 7. My wife and I lived in London for a number of years so we know our way around the UK and have done a fair bit of traveling around Europe.

Will look to spend a week or so in the UK visiting some family but apart from that we are probably looking to spend some time in the snow but that leaves us with 3 or so weeks to plan for.

Any ideas?

St Moritz

I haven’t - I plan to check it out this year. But from what I’ve been told/read it’s a really cool place. Highest bike usership in all of Germany for a fairly useless fact. I’d go there if you can

Cheers. Still trying to finalise my itinerary for September but am seriously considering adding it.

What you got so far?

Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Dresden
Berlin
Krakow
Budapest
Timisoara
Sighisoara
Ljubljana
Zagreb
Split
Dubrovnik
Belgrade
Bar
Venice
Vienna

That's a lot of cities, sounds like a lot of fun man but a little exhausting too! Id try to to spend a bit more time in each city and reduce the amount of places you're going to.

Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Dresden
Berlin
Krakow
Budapest
Timisoara
Sighisoara
Ljubljana
Zagreb
Split
Dubrovnik
Belgrade
Bar
Venice
Vienna
How long are you there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know its too late and anyone who already has plans probably cant afford to change them, but it seems the tourists are back to the south of France this year; Roads are blocked and what should be an hour return trip to the airport for me is more like 2 hours or more so far. The high spending Russians stayed away last year after the events of 2016 but they and even the lower budget(and it's still expensive) seem to be coming back this summer.

Great for us as we own a rental appartement in both Nice and Cannes. Tiger supporters can get a discount... Everyone else, well market rates.

That's a lot of cities, sounds like a lot of fun man but a little exhausting too! Id try to to spend a bit more time in each city and reduce the amount of places you're going to.

A lot of the places (Salzburg, Cesky, Timisoara, Sighisoara and Bar) are only day trips or one day stops. I'm only going to Bar because the rail trip there apparently is spectacular. I'll only be there for a couple of hours then take the train back.

A lot of the places (Salzburg, Cesky, Timisoara, Sighisoara and Bar) are only day trips or one day stops. I'm only going to Bar because the rail trip there apparently is spectacular. I'll only be there for a couple of hours then take the train back.

Oh okay that makes more sense. Yeah I've heard the train ride there is really good! When are you due to leave? Solo or with mates?

Oh okay that makes more sense. Yeah I've heard the train ride there is really good! When are you due to leave? Solo or with mates?

September 22nd. Going to have to find a place to watch the Grand Final! I'm starting off with a mate, then doing some solo, before meeting back with him at the end. He is from Slovenia and has a family reunion over there.

September 22nd. Going to have to find a place to watch the Grand Final! I'm starting off with a mate, then doing some solo, before meeting back with him at the end. He is from Slovenia and has a family reunion over there.

That's awesome. Pretty much what I'm doing atm. Started off with a mate the first month, then split off and currently on a solo trip.

Slovenia is great.

Lake Bled is spectacular.

Take an Apple TV/chrome cast with you and make sure your Airbnb has a decent size screen!

Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Dresden
Berlin
Krakow
Budapest
Timisoara
Sighisoara
Ljubljana
Zagreb
Split
Dubrovnik
Belgrade
Bar
Venice
Vienna
Way way to much for 4 weeks. Cut down by at least half if you want to actually enjoy any of these places rather then just tick off a list. You need at least 20 days just do the first 6 and even then you are rushing it.

Way way to much for 4 weeks. Cut down by at least half if you want to actually enjoy any of these places rather then just tick off a list. You need at least 20 days just do the first 6 and even then you are rushing it.

A lot of the places are stopovers on the train, or one day side trips. I'm spending three days in each of Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, and Ljubljana.

Slovenia is great.

Lake Bled is spectacular.
Lake bled is a tourist trap.
A lot of the places are stopovers on the train, or one day side trips. I'm spending three days in each of Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, and Ljubljana.

if 3 whole days it’s not so bad but if those days also include travel time it sounds like too much travelling and not enough time doing stuff. Travel time between cities is much more then just the time taken to travel, it’s packing up, heading to the train stations, waiting around for trains and then doing vice versa at the end once you get off. Every trip between cities eats up half a day and some will eat up more. Everyone’s different with travel but I never remember the travel days fondly. Nor rarely the days where you just see the main sights and tick them off. Which is what most people do when they only spend 1 or 2 days in a place and then move to the next. The most memorable travel days are always the days when I spend doing stuff. Going for a long city bike ride through the inner city neighbourhoods and parks, seeing a show, going for a hike in unusual scenery that you don’t see at home, going to a local sporting event or festival, wild swimming in lakes or rivers or drinking with locals in some random pub.

It’s also a very city (large town) centric holiday. Admittedly those cities are quite different but still, might want a break from the cities at some point and spend it in the alps, scenic villages or the beach for 4-5 days relaxing. This very much depends on who you are travelling with and your own personal interests ofcourse. But just cities would start to bore most after 3 straight weeks of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back