Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

All of them are pretty much three full days. I love cities. Museums and architecture. I'll be seeing a lot of the countryside by train. I'm a train buff so I get a lot of enjoyment out of being on the train and watching the scenery go by, so I don't consider that a waste of time. Timisoara, Sighisoara, Cesky and Bar are all relatively smaller places also.

All of them are pretty much three full days. I love cities. Museums and architecture. I'll be seeing a lot of the countryside by train. I'm a train buff so I get a lot of enjoyment out of being on the train and watching the scenery go by, so I don't consider that a waste of time. Timisoara, Sighisoara, Cesky and Bar are all relatively smaller places also.
Well if you are a train buff then ignore my post :)

How is Europe too hot for an Australian? Outside of summer Europe is too bloody cold.
Yeah it's strange, but it can be ******* hot here in the south. Last 2 weeks there's been a heatwave of 34 degrees around Cannes, but that feels like 38 in Australia. In Nimes which is the bottom of France temperatures have reaches into low 40s.. It's a basin there where there are no channels for fresh wind.

Where I live has been id 30's for the last 2 weeks, but in early march we couldnt leave the property due to over a foot of snow.. Both unusual events.

Slovenia was probably one of my favourite countries.

Just down the road from Bled is Lake Bohinj which is just as spectacular! The mountains are stunning and the water running through the streams is some of the best water you will ever taste.

Would highly recommend renting a car and just exploring some of the little towns. I was with a couple of mates and two of our favourites were Trebinje and Skofa Loka (which also has an incredible pasta place overlooking the river)

It's beautiful. I adored it.

I thought the same although there is some atrocious traffic on the way in and out. Most of the 'tourist traps' can be avoided as well. Eg. Go for a walk up to the top of the castle to get a spectacular view over the lake, or you can drive around it and find other great view points. We went to the supermarket and bought some biscuits and dip etc. for lunch so you don't need to eat at one of the restaurants.

I thought the same although there is some atrocious traffic on the way in and out. Most of the 'tourist traps' can be avoided as well. Eg. Go for a walk up to the top of the castle to get a spectacular view over the lake, or you can drive around it and find other great view points. We went to the supermarket and bought some biscuits and dip etc. for lunch so you don't need to eat at one of the restaurants.
Yeah, I walked around the lake and up to the castle. It was spectacular and one of my favourite days in my trip over there. It helped that we had the perfect weather for it.

I'll post some pics later I took from that day.

How is Europe too hot for an Australian? Outside of summer Europe is too bloody cold.

It's a different kind of heat and a different kind of cold. 35 in Europe feels like 40-43 in Aus and -2 in Aus feels like -10 in Europe.

Presumably it has something to do with the hole in the ozone layer or different atmospheric conditions.

It's a different kind of heat and a different kind of cold. 35 in Europe feels like 40-43 in Aus and -2 in Aus feels like -10 in Europe.

Presumably it has something to do with the hole in the ozone layer or different atmospheric conditions.
I'd agree with that. Best time to travel in Europe IMO is Spring or Autumn.

Because we don’t have air conditioning over here, nor a sea breeze.

I managed to keep the inside of our apartment at 26deg stable for the last two days, by keeping all doors and windows s**t, and closing blinds and curtains as the sun went on them.

It was 35 and 32 outside.

Why Australians don’t invest in proper double glazed airlocked windows and doors that they can open in the afternoon is beyond me. You’d save the cost of the windows from turning the aircon/heater off in 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we don’t have air conditioning over here, nor a sea breeze.

I managed to keep the inside of our apartment at 26deg stable for the last two days, by keeping all doors and windows s**t, and closing blinds and curtains as the sun went on them.

It was 35 and 32 outside.

Why Australians don’t invest in proper double glazed airlocked windows and doors that they can open in the afternoon is beyond me. You’d save the cost of the windows from turning the aircon/heater off in 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Um that post is inconsistent. It’s hot cos you don’t have air conditioning but it’s not hot cos of insulation. Which is it?

I'd agree with that. Best time to travel in Europe IMO is Spring or Autumn.
It depends what you are doing and where. Hiking in the mountains or swimming in lakes or visiting the Med islands then it’s summer that is the best time and only the first couple of weeks of autumn. Spring no good. Unless skiing then I would not go near Scandinavia, northern Russia, Scotland, Faroes or Iceland outside of summer.

It's 35 in Madrid on Sunday, 34 tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

It's 34 in Greece Tuesday-Thursday and 35 Friday-Saturday.

It's 35 in Rome tomorrow and 34 on Sunday.

Looks like we're in a very rare week indeed.
Last week for 10 days it was around 35 here too. Thankfully it's dropped a bit, but 33 for the forecast today. Not so rare at all.

Nah mate you just live there, what would you know about the weather. It very rarely gets to 35 in Europe ;)

Go Further towards Spain and cities such at Marseille or even Nimes.. Nimes were hitting the 40's last week and it's a real hot dry heat. No sea breeze there as the city is in a bit of a basin.

Even London was hitting 34 a couple of weeks back and Paris at 40, which must be rare.

Last edited:
Go Further towards Spain and cities such at Marseille or even Nimes.. Nimes were hitting the 40's last week and it's a real hot dry heat. No sea breeze there as the city is in a bit of a basin.

Was there for Feria de Nimes a couple years back in May and even then it was warmer than expected. Cracking city though, one of the overlooked gems of Europe.

Was there for Feria de Nimes a couple years back in May and even then it was warmer than expected. Cracking city though, one of the overlooked gems of Europe.
I lived there for about 4 months, it's my wife's home city and where all her family live so we go quite a bit. Have been to a few Ferias, but never the actual bullfights... just for the street parties. Got to see Radiohead in the Arena too which was brilliant. ******* hot in summer and brutally cold in winter.

The dry heat in places like Rome is *in unbearable. Add in being a tourist and the Ks you're trotting out, as well as the tourist cities and all the people around, and it's hard work. By 'hard work' I mean fun and by '*in unbearable' I mean I should stop bitching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back