Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I have travelled around Europe solo. If anything, travelling solo works better for less extroverted, more introverted people who prefer their own space and are more introspective. You can have your time, staring into space and engaging with your own thoughts. I'm extremely introverted, as in I'm comfortable being on my own for hours, days etc. That's why I prefer to travel solo so I can travel at my own pace. Not to mention you aren't around other tourists all the time and can actually absorb yourself into the foreign environment and engage with locals, rather than hang out with a group of other travellers and people you usually would hang out with at home. I travel solo and stay at hostels, so I can get the best of both worlds. I travel during the day at my own pace and then spend the night hanging out with other travellers at the hostel or bars/pubs etc.
Basically this, I 6 month back pack, did a 20 odd day contiki at the start to get a feel for things then solo the rest. By the end the contiki was the part I least enjoyed. Too many bogan aussies.

Travel during the day or get night trains and sleep, see the wonders of the town/city and party with the other hostel folk at night.

Anyone done it solo/how'd you enjoy the contiki?

When I was working pub crawl in Krakow we'd get a lot of contiki/top deck groups. Mostly younger people 21-27 on the group and everyone seemed to be BFFs and get along with each other really well. Somewhat regularly if it was late in their tour a number of them would have memento tattoos. Perfect for a young buck such as yourself, you'll have no trouble fitting in.

When I was working pub crawl in Krakow we'd get a lot of contiki/top deck groups. Mostly younger people 21-27 on the group and everyone seemed to be BFFs and get along with each other really well. Somewhat regularly if it was late in their tour a number of them would have memento tattoos. Perfect for a young buck such as yourself, you'll have no trouble fitting in.
Already have one regretful tattoo, what's one more? ;)

i too think the idea of travelling solo, but staying in (good rating) hostels is a great way to meet people. means you're not moving between cities at break neck speed, and can decide what youwant to see at each place

I did Top Deck on my first overseas trip and loved it. It can be full on at times, but you can meet some pretty cool people, and it definitely gives you a taste of what cities are like and an idea if you want to go back or not etc. And having the accommodation and travel all worked out for you is handy too.

Tour is a good introduction I reckon.

**** tours, just get out there and find your own way. Make yourself meet people and engage with cities/villages/countries rather than being baby sat and dictated to by a tour.
I hate the saying ‘make yourself’. Not everyone’s super confident to embark across the world and just cross fingers they can engage with others.

I hate the saying ‘make yourself’. Not everyone’s super confident to embark across the world and just cross fingers they can engage with others.
You don’t need to be super confident. You just do it like others have before you and find your way. The internet can furnish you with so much information these days, which minimises risk.

Organised tours are for when you’re old and don’t have to verve to organise and step out of your comfort zone. It’s only Europe, it’s not friggen Afghanistan.

It's a different kind of heat and a different kind of cold. 35 in Europe feels like 40-43 in Aus and -2 in Aus feels like -10 in Europe.

Presumably it has something to do with the hole in the ozone layer or different atmospheric conditions.
Funny, I always felt the opposite. Being outdoors at 30-35 in Europe feels like 25-30 in Melbourne to me.

i too think the idea of travelling solo, but staying in (good rating) hostels is a great way to meet people. means you're not moving between cities at break neck speed, and can decide what youwant to see at each place
most cities will have free arranged tours and most hostels will have bar crawls organised available. its by far the best way to travel solo & just go when the fun goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or even hang around the bars at hostels. At the end of the day you aren’t the only person traveling alone at the hostel! Several girls do it as well;)
A surprisingly lot of them as well. I remember travelling to Europe solo when I was 19, thinking I would be bunking with a room full of 30 year old men. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

A surprisingly lot of them as well. I remember travelling to Europe solo when I was 19, thinking I would be bunking with a room full of 30 year old men. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.
Yep late teens and early 20s etc they are in he same situation... wanting To see the world and have fun at the same Time

**** tours, just get out there and find your own way. Make yourself meet people and engage with cities/villages/countries rather than being baby sat and dictated to by a tour.
Agree 100%

The internet gives you enough knowledge to know what you want to see and do. Much better than getting your hand held and told what to do.

If I have ever done tours it is only for convenience of the transportation to the location if it is quite a distance away (like Toronto out to Niagara falls) or a wine tour because I needed a driver

Have you been to Como? Any comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lake Bled easily for me.
Como is beautiful but there is just something special about Bled. Have recently returned from our second trip there and are heading back in May again

Unfortunately I have not.

Lake Como strikes me as a place for the elite though.

Hot tip - if you’re planning to drive from Como to Bellagio, don’t take anything bigger than a fiat 500. And definitely not a Mercedes wagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back