Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
So Cash or card in Europe? (popular tourist locations I’m heading to include Barcelona, Santorini, Athens, dubrovnik, kotor, messina, Naples, barecelona, Paris)

I have a skye MasterCard so planning to use anywhere for purchasing in local currencies where MasterCard is accepted - card has no foreign or conversion fees. Assuming can make most if not all purchases this way

If I carry cash for smaller purchases transport, markets, smaller shops without eftpos or card facilities I would use a money belt under my clothing to avoid pick pockets or missus day bag being knocked off

Thoughts/suggestions to the above?

Also what is Best travel adapter to use on a cruise ship us and uk ?

Cheers

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Zuma

So Cash or card in Europe? (popular tourist locations I’m heading to include Barcelona, Santorini, Athens, dubrovnik, kotor, messina, Naples, barecelona, Paris)

Use a mixture. Some places will be very cash reliant, some (paris/bcn for example) will be very easy to use card. Youll need cash at pretty much any market place.

I have a skye MasterCard so planning to use anywhere for purchasing in local currencies where MasterCard is accepted - card has no foreign or conversion fees. Assuming can make most if not all purchases this way

Not familiar with this card but I used a 28 Degrees mastercard and it was effectively the same thing. If there's no conversion fees then you can just use contactless wherever you go. When drawing from ATM's, try to stick to actual banks, and ones where the ATM's are inside the building - they're less likely to have skimming dedvices.

If I carry cash for smaller purchases transport, markets, smaller shops without eftpos or card facilities I would use a money belt under my clothing to avoid pick pockets or missus day bag being knocked off

Don't do this. Simply have a small wallet and keep it in your front pocket. Pick pocketers will see a money belt from a mile off, and they'll probably also be more likely to follow you and hit you multiple times. Wallet in the front pocket every day of the week, and if the area feels a little uncomfortable, keep your hands in the pockets also. Backpacks are a big no for me, and another good sign of a tourist.

As has already been suggested, avoid Napoli. It's getting better, but its still a pretty rough place. Go straight through to the Amalfi coast - or spend some more time on the coast of spain instead. Perhaps Barcelona -> San Sebastian -> Biarritz -> Paris.

Just find one of those everything adapters on Amazon, they're pretty good.

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Zuma

Use a mixture. Some places will be very cash reliant, some (paris/bcn for example) will be very easy to use card. Youll need cash at pretty much any market place.

Not familiar with this card but I used a 28 Degrees mastercard and it was effectively the same thing. If there's no conversion fees then you can just use contactless wherever you go. When drawing from ATM's, try to stick to actual banks, and ones where the ATM's are inside the building - they're less likely to have skimming dedvices.

Good to know, cheers. Was thinking about drawing cash from bank atms to avoid carrying all of my cash for a 4 week multiple location trip. Though there are unavoidable fees for that and would tend to withdraw large amounts anyway. But leaning towards taking AUD cash over and as Basing ourselves in Croatia (Mother’s homeland) where I have family and usually exchange aud at the bank there for my mix of kuna and euro.

Don't do this. Simply have a small wallet and keep it in your front pocket. Pick pocketers will see a money belt from a mile off, and they'll probably also be more likely to follow you and hit you multiple times. Wallet in the front pocket every day of the week, and if the area feels a little uncomfortable, keep your hands in the pockets also. Backpacks are a big no for me, and another good sign of a tourist.

Thanks for the advice. Had watched a you tube video where the guy highly recommended a money belt. I have in the past had small wallet in front/side pocket and my hand inside most of the time to safeguard. Def no backpacks here tho I will have a small shoulder bag if need be and My wife will have a small tote which she will secure with her arm to the front of her body

As has already been suggested, avoid Napoli. It's getting better, but its still a pretty rough place. Go straight through to the Amalfi coast - or spend some more time on the coast of spain instead. Perhaps Barcelona -> San Sebastian -> Biarritz -> Paris.

Naples was a cruise stop (doing a 7 night med cruise on princess) but doing to ischia tour there.

Just find one of those everything adapters on Amazon, they're pretty good

Yer Was thinking all in 1 sort of deal. Are the USB ones a good idea?

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Mainland Europe and London you should certainly use train and public transport. Rest of the UK, look at hiring a car for a few days. But seriously travelling by train in Europe is so simple and relaxing
I love train travel but I absolutely prefer to drive everywhere in Europe. I just love being able to do things at my own pace, stop and have a break, take some photos, a bite to eat etc. I also find it allows you really get off the beaten track and we have found plenty of stunning little villages, lakes and scenery that can be otherwise missed.
Driving is a breeze in most of Europe but yes fuel can be quite expensive

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love train travel but I absolutely prefer to drive everywhere in Europe. I just love being able to do things at my own pace, stop and have a break, take some photos, a bite to eat etc. I also find it allows you really get off the beaten track and we have found plenty of stunning little villages, lakes and scenery that can be otherwise missed.
Driving is a breeze in most of Europe but yes fuel can be quite expensive
He's travelling at Christmas time though, so could be a bit hairy if he's not familiar with driving in snow.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Just be aware that banks carry their own tranfer fees etc. Maybe it would even be worth having your family open a bank account for you before you go, and transfer a decent sum of money through a forex trader. See if they can open an N26 account - its an online only bank which has zero fees, as well as unlimited withdrawals in supermarkets, as well as 5 free withdrawls per month at ATM's. I use this bank and its awesome. That way, you're getting the best exchange rate, and can leave the money overseas for when you decide to come back

https://n26.com/en-eu/plans

For travel adaptors - I reckon this is as good as any. Unless you're bringing a laptop or electric shaver, you will probably only need USB charging anyway

edit - I can't post an amazon link here for some reason, so heres the broken url

https:// www.amazon.de/dp/B07FT9MJX3/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B01M0QW5RT&pd_rd_w=seybF&pf_rd_p=00903874-3af0-47e0-8622-ee58087f71cf&pd_rd_wg=durOh&pf_rd_r=DQSY76746E5GV22CP03R&pd_rd_r=e41e3bee-91b7-11e9-a7ca-4355b32ccc58&th=1

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Naples is a ******* ****hole dude. I love Italy, my favourite country in general in Europe, but that place sucks a ******* dick. Go to Sorrento.

I’ve heard that. Has anyone been to ischia island? There’s where the missus and I are heading for a day tour the thermal baths look relaxing and something different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Woolworths stores sell travel adaptors, I got one for Europe last year and it worked fine.

Also bought one off the street in Madrid for 5 euros and that worked as well!

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Speaking of Italy, Croatia, which is next door, really deserves more love. Besides maybe Dubrovnik, it is not the tourist trap that Italy is. Zagreb is a great city and the national parks of Plitvice and Krka are absolute gems. Give me Croatia over Italy any day.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Speaking of Italy, Croatia, which is next door, really deserves more love. Besides maybe Dubrovnik, it is not the tourist trap that Italy is. Zagreb is a great city and the national parks of Plitvice and Krka are absolute gems. Give me Croatia over Italy any day.
Um the tourist to population ratio in croatia is multiple times higher then in every other european country.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Um the tourist to population ratio in croatia is multiple times higher then in every other european country.

It didn't feel like it when I was there in late April. Apart from Dubrovnik, which wasn't even that bad, I didn't see any crowds anywhere. Rome on the other hand was horrendous.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It didn't feel like it when I was there in late April. Apart from Dubrovnik, which wasn't even that bad, I didn't see any crowds anywhere. Rome on the other hand was horrendous.
Croatia is mostly a beach/island destination and you went in april. That might give you a clue. The cruises are only just starting up. It is the most over touristed place in Europe by a long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back