Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Bosnia is worth a trip if you're in Croatia. Mostar is a great little place and the train trip between Mostar and Sarajevo is breathtaking.

Anyone ever spent like six weeks in the UK? With just short-term, like three day Ryanair trips to the continent?

Ie based yourself in a certain city and got like two weeks of accommodation or whatever?

Was it cheaper? Was it boring?
If you’re only going for 6 weeks why bounce back and forth from the U.K.? Just travel the continent at your leisure.
So Cash or card in Europe? (popular tourist locations I’m heading to include Barcelona, Santorini, Athens, dubrovnik, kotor, messina, Naples, barecelona, Paris)

I have a skye MasterCard so planning to use anywhere for purchasing in local currencies where MasterCard is accepted - card has no foreign or conversion fees. Assuming can make most if not all purchases this way

If I carry cash for smaller purchases transport, markets, smaller shops without eftpos or card facilities I would use a money belt under my clothing to avoid pick pockets or missus day bag being knocked off

Thoughts/suggestions to the above?

Also what is Best travel adapter to use on a cruise ship us and uk ?

Cheers
ING everyday card 👍👍👍
All good heading to Ischia👌
I’m going there in July, please let me know how you get on.

If you’re only going for 6 weeks why bounce back and forth from the U.K.? Just travel the continent at your leisure.
I was considering getting an airbnb for a month or something, that way it's cheaper, and I won't feel too bad about leaving the place there by itself for 2-3 days on the continent. Might just be easier to start in the UK then spend the last two weeks going to three or four cities in Europe.

ING everyday card

I’m going there in July, please let me know how you get on.

Spot the barefoot investor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastern Block very underrated. Gets a lot more traffic now. The Balkans (other than peak Croatia), Budapest, Prague and Krakow are stunning places which are friendly welcoming and culturally unique. Turkish South Coast is still a quieter version of Sail Croatia and is even more stunning and the food is amazing. A month in Turkey and the Greek Islands are some of my fondest travel memories.

Budapest, Prague and St. Petersburg are my favourite cities on Earth.

On the train now to Budapest. Have just spent 3 nights in Prague (my second time there now) and 2 nights in Mikulov and surrounding wine country. Look up Mikulov and Valtice if you haven’t heard about them and give them a look. Absolutely loved it, hired bikes and rode around the towns from vineyard to vineyard. Very close to
Vienna too. A great option to get slightly off the well worn track and away from the crowds.

Any Budapest tips welcome!

On the train now to Budapest. Have just spent 3 nights in Prague (my second time there now) and 2 nights in Mikulov and surrounding wine country. Look up Mikulov and Valtice if you haven’t heard about them and give them a look. Absolutely loved it, hired bikes and rode around the towns from vineyard to vineyard. Very close to
Vienna too. A great option to get slightly off the well worn track and away from the crowds.

Church in the cave is worth a look.

If anyone is feeling fit and wants to see a big part of the North West of Spain, you should look into doing the Camino de Santiago. I am on day five and while it is hard yakka, the rewards in terms of what you see and the people you meet are priceless. Well worth the effort.

Terror House

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently planning a 3 and a half month trip. Leaving early October and coming back mid January. Flying into Amsterdam from which I'm going to head east through Germany and Poland, down towards Croatia then across to Italy up through France and planning to make it to the UK for Christmas and the new year.

I've been doing some research into these eurail passes. I have about 2 months between leaving Amsterdam (mid october) and arriving in Paris (mid december) where I plan to meet my GF. The gap between those twp months are pretty loosely planned in terms of specific places where I want to visit, other than the direction, so I'm thinking the rail pass could be pretty convenient in terms of just hopping on and off and heading to any city I get suggested along the way. Has anyone used one of these and would recommend it? A mate of mine won 2 in a raffle and wants to sell me the second for a bit of a discount, so that's worth noting.

Currently planning a 3 and a half month trip. Leaving early October and coming back mid January. Flying into Amsterdam from which I'm going to head east through Germany and Poland, down towards Croatia then across to Italy up through France and planning to make it to the UK for Christmas and the new year.

I've been doing some research into these eurail passes. I have about 2 months between leaving Amsterdam (mid october) and arriving in Paris (mid december) where I plan to meet my GF. The gap between those twp months are pretty loosely planned in terms of specific places where I want to visit, other than the direction, so I'm thinking the rail pass could be pretty convenient in terms of just hopping on and off and heading to any city I get suggested along the way. Has anyone used one of these and would recommend it? A mate of mine won 2 in a raffle and wants to sell me the second for a bit of a discount, so that's worth noting.
Used one ages ago and found it really good in terms of value and usefulness. Just get to the train station to book seats on longer journeys otherwise you may be standing in a passage for a few hours. 3.5 months is a long time to travel. Make sure you have some downtime to recharge. Ie stay in the one spot for a few days, skip the tourist stuff and relax by the pool.

Used one ages ago and found it really good in terms of value and usefulness. Just get to the train station to book seats on longer journeys otherwise you may be standing in a passage for a few hours. 3.5 months is a long time to travel. Make sure you have some downtime to recharge. Ie stay in the one spot for a few days, skip the tourist stuff and relax by the pool.
Thanks for the tips. It’s going to pretty hectic but I’m going to try not rush myself and if I miss out on going somewhere because I just can’t fit it in I won’t be too bothered. Seeing my GF and staying in Paris for a week will certainly help. And I’ll be in London for a couple weeks over Christmas with some friends which will be nice.

The good thing about the train pass I think will be the flexibility, which means if I’m overwhelmed I can just stay a bit longer in one place and relax with no worries.

Overated and overpriced. Just use flixbus instead and save a motza.

Train travel just seems a lot nicer and comfortable, with more exciting scenery than taking the bus everywhere. The eurail pass is also going to be cheaper than it usually is, and even if it's not as cheap as the bus, I think I'd rather spend an extra $50 or so on train travel. I also want to get the ferry from Split to Ancona and the eurail pass gives discounts for that. Happy to research other options though.

The flix bus is clean, has free WLAN and is punctual. Nothing wrong with it.

But you’re on holidays and you want to see things. I don’t want to be sitting on a bus for 4 hours from Hamburg to Berlin and just see the motorway when I could get a train in 1h50min, see the countryside and sit in the bar and have a beer if I wish

Where do people think the best spots for New Years are? Chances are I'll be in London but I'm flexible and could be back on the continent or somewhere like Ireland.

Anyone spent New Years over there and have any recommendations?

Where do people think the best spots for New Years are? Chances are I'll be in London but I'm flexible and could be back on the continent or somewhere like Ireland.

Go somewhere in Germany so you can light your own fireworks

If you're in London don't go in to the city. It's busy as * and hard to move anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back