European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Listening to the athletic podcast and they did mention that the owners and directors don’t just have to pass the test when entering the league but every year (which obviously doesn’t work). Obviously the owners won’t be forced out, but directors at each of the 6 clubs will likely be sacrificed out of this.

They also touched on the biggest issue potentially regarding sanctions will come if it’s revealed all/any of the clubs leaked confidential information during the process of trying to start the ESL.
A director or two going doesn't change anything. The owners just find a replacement buddy who still holds similar views to their own.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, well, well.

Arsenal Chief Executive Vinai Venkatesham confirms in a fan forum question time that there were fees involved for the sign up and the exit of the contracts for the ESL.

Not just a "proposed" league, aye?

Well, well, well.

Arsenal Chief Executive Vinai Venkatesham confirms in a fan forum question time that there were fees involved for the sign up and the exit of the contracts for the ESL.

That isn't news.

It is to some in this thread.

You never formally joined the league and it was just a "proposal" according to some in here.
It was announced fairly early on that 20 year contracts were signed.
I don't think any of the clubs are paying exit fees either as according to the idiot in Madrid it isn't dead, just on hold and the ESL isn't going to take legal action against any teams who signed up and left.

Good to see now that some players and news outlets have finally realised the absolute shambolic new UCL format and are speaking out against it.

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Well, well, well.

KSE will probably cover up front and then take out debt on behalf of the club at a later date to reimburse themselves. I imagine the fees will be large.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I'm only a casual fan of the EPL, don't even have a club I support.

Can you explain to me if this Tottenham trolling is a regular thing?

As in the same way we troll St Kilda for their perennial troubles, or people troll North for being poor?

Or is this a new thing with Tottenham? They've been trolled like crazy the last few days.
we're a bit of a running joke.
It's typically spursy to run up huge debts building a stadium to help us compete financially with the big boys, only for a global pandemic to hit just as we sack our best manager in years for a serial winner who needs funds to deliver. Then we sack him days before a cup final.

it's fun being a fan. never a dull moment.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah nah.

Leicester wasn't a surprise? Liverpool won their first Premier League title last season. Man City were in tier 3 as recently as 1999. The relegation battles can be just as exciting as the top of the table. There's a chance West Ham will qualify for the Champions League for the first time ever.
Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea have won 17 of the past 21 titles. Call that exciting?

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funnily I was also thinking about this last night and came up with something somewhat similar. Here are my changes.

Division A 12 Teams. Division B 12 teams.

Super League winner is the team with the most wins in Division A over a 22 game season. No finals. Bottom 2-3 teams in Division A drop out, top 2-3 teams in Division B go up. Bottom 4 teams in Division B out, replaced (either via domestic placings/Europa/some sort of mix of the two).

For finals, the champions league still exists and is run concurrent to the Super League and largely in it's current format. Except, all teams in the Super League also automatically play UCL. The remaining 8 spots come from domestic placings/Europa finalists. What this would mean in practice in the EPL for example...

Let's say Man City and Man Utd would be Div A, Leicester in Div B, and let's say these three teams were top of EPL. There would then be room for one more spot, which could be won by whoever finished fourth - essentially exactly the same as it is now.

I feel this gives everybody what they want. RM gets to play against top sides across Europe and gets more big time games to keep money flowing. There is still a totally open competition that anyone in Europe can go up and down in. UCL itself is largely unchanged.

Edit: Also I disagree with your "teams to start the comp". Teams to start the comp should be based on current placings. Yes that means Leicester in and Liverpool out - as a Liverpool fan I'd relish the chance for us to win our way in legitimately.
One season isn't indicative of that though, especially in a covid year. Should be performance over a considerable time. The UEFA club coefficient is far fairer. Besides that, I like it a lot. Idea needs to be taken more seriously.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One season isn't indicative of that though, especially in a covid year. Should be performance over a considerable time. The UEFA club coefficient is far fairer. Besides that, I like it a lot. Idea needs to be taken more seriously.
Yes if they go with the top 12 in the UEFA coefficient I'd be fine with that. As long as whatever system they use for selection is clear, unbiased and based on performance.

That was my biggest issue with this proposal from the start - there was nothing elite about the teams that were in.

Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea have won 17 of the past 21 titles. Call that exciting?
Not that much less exciting than Tigers, Hawks and Cats winning 10 of last 14 titles.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

Pretty clear now that the only reason we joined was to bait Real. Left at the first opportunity knowing they wouldn't and now we automatically progress to the final.

Galaxy brain thinking from the board.

I would imagine the team who Real played in the quarter finals go through if they are out :D:D:D

Back