European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Like someone else said AFL has had over 30 years of drafting and salary caps. If you look at last 14 years, which if you like it or not is significant time to compare, then difference should be far greater

Hand out premierships like confetti?

Yes we need to win a flag cos it’s our turn, who cares if we are mismanaged garbage

There was a good Economist podcast about it noting that its essentially a battle between open (with relegation) and closed sporting leagues. Owners do better financially out of closed leagues and football is a relative outlier in having open competition and relegation.

They did point out that closed leagues are generally marked by salary caps and drafts, which would require a pretty dramatic change to how football is structured and run.

No other sport has as many professional sides as football, particularly in Europe.

People hoping for the 50+1 option need to realize there is one massive stumbling block

unless the govt nationalizes the teams (and IMO zero chance of this given the political connections of those involved), buy outs will not be cheap. The Glazers apparently are prepared to sell Man U, but for GBP 4 billion

People hoping for the 50+1 option need to realize there is one massive stumbling block

unless the govt nationalizes the teams (and IMO zero chance of this given the political connections of those involved), buy outs will not be cheap. The Glazers apparently are prepared to sell Man U, but for GBP 4 billion
Yeah i dont see how these fans groups could afford to buy these clubs.

I actually think docking all Breakaway League Teams minus 20 points at the start of next season would be the fairest and most sensible punishment (plus a multi million dollar

Question is how will the 12 react to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think docking all Breakaway League Teams minus 20 points at the start of next season would be the fairest and most sensible punishment (plus a multi million dollar
That seems more like a selfish punishment that only benefits a hand full of clubs(if that) in the league.

Needs also a heavy fine thats passed on to all clubs to make it more appropriate.

That seems more like a selfish punishment that only benefits a hand full of clubs(if that) in the league.

A heavy fine thats passed on to all clubs seems more appropriate.

Would Make Next Season's Premier League a lot more exciting though..

And I think Man City would be good enough to claw back a 20 point reduction and still win the league anyway.

They threw Bury out of the Football League for being in debt of 200 K (Which till this day, still pisses me Off)

And I think Man City would be good enough to claw back a 20 point reduction and still win the league anyway.

They threw Bury out of the Football League for being in debt of 200 K (Which till this day, still pisses me Off)

Yeah it would make it a lot more interesting.

Always thought a handicap system based on wages of the squad would make a far more exciting league. Bigger the spend the more points you start behind the lowest spend club.

This is what the current table would look like if the 6 had 20 points deducted this season:

1. Leicester 59
2. Man City 57
3. West Ham 55
4. Everton 52
5. Man U 46
6. Leeds 46
7. Aston Villa 44
8. Wolves 41
9. Crystal Palace 38
10. Southampton 36
11. Chelsea 35
12. Newcastle 35
13. Brighton 34
14. Tottenham 33
15. Liverpool 33
16. Burnley 33
17. Fulham 27
18. Arsenal 26
19. West Brom 24
20. Sheffield U 14

This is what the current table would look like if the 6 had 20 points deducted this season:

1. Leicester 59
2. Man City 57
3. West Ham 55
4. Everton 52
5. Man U 46
6. Leeds 46
7. Aston Villa 44
8. Wolves 41
9. Crystal Palace 38
10. Southampton 36
11. Chelsea 35
12. Newcastle 35
13. Brighton 34
14. Tottenham 33
15. Liverpool 33
16. Burnley 33
17. Fulham 27
18. Arsenal 26
19. West Brom 24
20. Sheffield U 14

I like it, I like it a lot 👍👍👍

Yeah it would make it a lot more interesting.

Always thought a handicap system based on wages of the squad would make a far more exciting league. Bigger the spend the more points you start behind the lowest spend club.
Can you imagine the corruption

One of the things I was thinking after this debacle is the assumption commonly held by sporting administrators around the world that there is a vast untapped audience of people previously uninterested in the sport who can be convinced to start watching if there's a new league, if we shorten the format (because teenagers can't think straight for more than 3 minutes) and so on. This gives us AFLX, T20, the Hundred and now ESL (with its suggestions of shorter halves).

I just wonder if this is true.

I think administrators look back to the past with its big crowds and high TV ratings and understandably want that back. They especially look at young people and think "why can't we get them?". But this is an audience that has a much more diverse range of options than in the past and those options aren't going to shift easily.

This is especially true of gaming. Because administrators tend to be old, while males who haven't grown up with gaming and don't understand it, they think of it as a frivolous pastime rather than being the viable alternative to all other forms of entertainment, including sport.

Perhaps the size of audience we have now is the actual size of the real audience, and we need to tailor expectations (especially financial expectations) accordingly rather than corrupt the very things that make sports great.

1. Leicester 59
2. Man City 57
3. West Ham 55
4. Everton 52
5. Man U 46
6. Leeds 46
7. Aston Villa 44
8. Wolves 41
9. Crystal Palace 38
10. Southampton 36
11. Chelsea 35
12. Newcastle 35
13. Brighton 34
14. Tottenham 33
15. Liverpool 33
16. Burnley 33
17. Fulham 27
18. Arsenal 26
19. West Brom 24
20. Sheffield U 14

This seems a logical and immediate punishment. Needs to happen ASAP.

I've arranged an appointment with my local CUA to discuss my options.

Back