European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I just fail to see how this adds value or excitement with the Swiss model.

i.e its matchday 7. Liverpool are undefeated with 6 wins, and play against Bayern Munich, who are also undefeated.

Why wouldn't Klopp sent out the same kind of squad he would sent to Miami for a preseason tournament? The game means nothing.

Same applies to a Sporting Lisbon vs Panathanikos match with both teams unable to advance to the next stage.

--------------------

If they really wanted to change it, they would be better off playing the competition as a series of 2 legged ties and a double elimination format.

The games would at least mean something then (aside from when City are 6-0 after the first leg vs Debrecen or whatever), and the odds of a super team being bounced out relatively early is slim (the minimum amount of games is 4, with 75% of the field guaranteed at least 6/the same as the current group stage format).

Thinking that Celtic, Villa and Forest are deserving of a spot because they've won it before is just as bad an idea as the original concept.

Yeah I don't think that's what he was saying.

He's saying if the idea of a closed competition is about rewarding historically superior teams then this isn't even that, he's just further undermining the logic, not proposing a better set of teams.

"Nadal and Federer played each other 40 times in 15 years. So far, Nadal and Djokovic have faced each other 59 times in 16 years. Is this boring? These historic clashes have grown tennis as a whole," he said.

And they did that by playing in a tournament via seeding, you know... like the Champions League. Dickhead

And they did that by playing in a tournament via seeding, you know... like the Champions League. Dickhead

Think of the bigger picture.The other 19 PL clubs should vote to * off City to the Super League.

It's probably for the best. Punishment would have tied up football for years and given millions of football money to lawyers.

Superleague is dead anyway.

It really isn't, it's just dead in England for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it why the 3 clubs (RM, Barca and Juve) still involved in the hope it can start up again even though it is completely dead

Can something be completely dead if there are still active members?

It's on the backburner I'd say.

No English and German club will ever join it again. It is dead

They will join if it gets the ok of their footballing associations. As long as it is open to all and not a closed off competition there are many advantages to be had from UEFA not running the top level club competition in Europe.

It's an absolute non-starter if the nonsense about it being a closed off competition is ever raised again.

You can never say never when you have Americans owning so many clubs.
Boehly to buy more players and enter a Chelsea A, Chelsea B, Chelsea C, Chelsea D and a Chelsea E team in it?

Boehly to buy more players and enter a Chelsea A, Chelsea B, Chelsea C, Chelsea D and a Chelsea E team in it?

Speaking at a conference on Tuesday, the American businessman who is new to the sport of soccer, talked at length about the changes he envisions for the English league. As a co-owner of the LA Dodgers baseball team and minority owner of LA Lakers basketball team, it appears that Boehly thinks he’s well equipped to suggest improvements to the world’s most popular sports league.

“Ultimately, I hope the Premier League takes a little bit of a lesson from American sports,” said Boehly. “MLB did their all-star game in L.A. this year. We made $200 million from a Monday and a Tuesday.”

Boehly’s concept for his all-star game is a north versus south battle in England. In addition to the all-star game, Boehly suggested a playoff system to determine relegation from England’s top flight.

Only take a few of these clown owners to get on board with him and off it goes again.

I don't think a play off for one of the relegation spots is the worst idea. At the end of the day you want more teams having something to play for as long as possible into the season. Otherwise you end up with Palace v Forest a month out from the end of the season with nothing riding on it.

I don't think a play off for one of the relegation spots is the worst idea. At the end of the day you want more teams having something to play for as long as possible into the season. Otherwise you end up with Palace v Forest a month out from the end of the season with nothing riding on it.
I doubt anyone will agree to a playoff. PL clubs won't want 17th in a playoff and Football League clubs won't want to give up the 3rd automatic promotion

I doubt anyone will agree to a playoff. PL clubs won't want 17th in a playoff and Football League clubs won't want to give up the 3rd automatic promotion

No doubt no one would agree to it just think it's a good idea for the sport not for the clubs. I'm sure the PL clubs would vote for no relegation if they could, even though long term that would kill a lot of interest in the league as 2/3rds of it would be done by Feb.

Back