benjamin

Debutant
Apr 26, 2003
Denmark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Farum
No doubt alot of you watched Eurosport 2's telecast. What were your thoughts?

What on earth were they doing with the commentary? It sounded like they had a bloke who sounded part Aussie-part Brit, obviously not at the G (I guess he was in a London studio), overdubbing the live crowd noise feed. He seemed to know a bit about footy but I reckon he was being fed certain bits of info and he did reveal his true background by ...

1. mispronouncing Bartel (emphasis on the first syllable not the second).
2. at the toss he announced which way the teams were "running", not kicking. Clearly a rugby background for this guy.

Do they get a discount for doing their own commentary? Well, it was the 18th GF since I've been living OS and the first I could see live on local television at home so I'm not going to complain too much, but it was a little disappointing.

In the end I turned the sound down and listened to the radio stream on the internet, but even then I had to put on chase-play on the DVD recorder to synchronize the live video with the sound which was about 20 seconds behind. Rex Hunt ain't getting any better either.

About 10 minutes before the end they lost the video for a minute or so. Not a big deal - that's a technical glitch but does anyone know if the Sky Sports coverage had the same problem?

Bit more of the celebration at the end wouldn't have gone astray either.

Setanta's coverage dropped out right at the end of the last quarter for a couple of minutes as well. Setanta also showed a fair bit of the post match, & indeed the pre-game bollocks as well.
Setanta also had the 7 commentary in case you were interested.
All in all a good game of footy though. As a neutral I enjoyed it a lot more than the previous year's match, mainly for the fact that it was a close contest & both teams played free running footy

I listened to the commentary in Serbian and it ruined my experience. To be fair to the bloke he did an ok job. I was so looking forward to hearing professional Australian commentators, because that's just part of the experience. What irked me out the most was the pronunciation of the team names. Geelong was pronounced with a "G" phoneme as in Go and the accent was on the first instead of the last syllable. Hawthorn became something like "How Torn". I was hearing Carlton all the time. Some players became superheroes. Namely, Batemen suddenly became Batman and other small nuances in pronunciation.

What I did to remedy this was go online and listened to some commentary from MMM, 6PR and 3AW. However, the signal was lagging by about 10 seconds.

I also agree with Benjamin about the closure of the broadcast. They virtually turned the signal off with the sound of the siren.

Having said all that, I was thrilled to watch a game of Aussie Rules live on TV and that's probably the most important thing. The game itself was exciting and the better team on the day won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back