EUROVISION Song Contest - 11/13/15 MAY 2022 (LIVE); 13/14/15 MAY 2022 (PRIMETIME)

2018 Song Contest
I can't recall a recent thread that was made about Eurovision. I also thought this fit better in the Music thread than Media & Entertainment.

With the 2018 Contest upcoming (8th, 9th and 12th MAY) in Lisbon, Portugal, I thought I might start a thread and hopefully some other Eurovision fans will come out of the woodwork to discuss. (JackNah_8??)

Some questions to open discussion:
  • How/when did you get into Eurovision?
  • What are some of your favourite songs? Countries?
  • Do you watch LIVE and vote since Australia has been in the competition?
LINKS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision Song Contest 2018
Eurovision Song Contest 2022

LISTEN TO ALL 43 SONGS PRIOR TO EVENT:

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Watch Eurovision most years. Having lived in Moscow for four years and gotten into the music scene over there I'm usually interested to see how the Russians go. My favourite Russian performance.

Keen to see how Julia Samoylova goes this year.

The greatest Eurovision performance will always be this.

raskolnikov that's really cool you used to live in Moscow :O Ницца!
I don't mind some of Russia's entries, but they're not my favourites by far.

ABBA is just an absolute classic, can't deny it.

JackNah_8 - there was so much hype around Francesco's song, and I thought it would win for sure. But it fell rather short :O I was shocked. He's a sweetie as well. Check out his song "In equilibrio".

As much as I'm happy that Jess Mauboy is Australia's entry, the song is pretty generic. A feel-good pop song typically sung at Eurovision. I was hoping for something a LITTLE more creative!

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
We like too much of the same thing JackNah_8. :) Love me Eurovision and the drinking game me and my friends do on the show. It now matches the AFL GF in terms of an event that we look forward to nowadays and how much we drink. I reckon the songs are getting better and better now as well.

Loved Italy and Belgium last year but both of their live acts fell a bit short doing the show. (Belgium by the singing and Italy by the presentation).

Jess' song is alright. Will make the final and make a run for the top 10 but no chance to win. I like it better than last years entry. Dami and Guys were better though. We were robbed in 2016.

raskolnikov that's really cool you used to live in Moscow :O Ницца!
I don't mind some of Russia's entries, but they're not my favourites by far.

ABBA is just an absolute classic, can't deny it.

JackNah_8 - there was so much hype around Francesco's song, and I thought it would win for sure. But it fell rather short :O I was shocked. He's a sweetie as well. Check out his song "In equilibrio".

As much as I'm happy that Jess Mauboy is Australia's entry, the song is pretty generic. A feel-good pop song typically sung at Eurovision. I was hoping for something a LITTLE more creative!

Here's the live version:

I thought he would've won last year, he was one of the favourites. I didnt really like the last year's winner.

We like too much of the same thing JackNah_8. :) Love me Eurovision and the drinking game me and my friends do on the show. It now matches the AFL GF in terms of an event that we look forward to nowadays and how much we drink. I reckon the songs are getting better and better now as well.

Loved Italy and Belgium last year but both of their live acts fell a bit short doing the show. (Belgium by the singing and Italy by the presentation).

Jess' song is alright. Will make the final and make a run for the top 10 but no chance to win. I like it better than last years entry. Dami and Guys were better though. We were robbed in 2016.

Bobby I didnt know you watched Eurovision!

Dami's song should've won that year, very close. Much better than Jess Mauboy's song that sounds like her other songs. Disappointing, I was expecting something different from her.

Agree with everything you said here! I LOVED Belgium's song, however her live performance fell apart. I hadn't initially liked Portugal's song when I listened to all the songs beforehand. However on the night, I was so moved by Salvador's poignant rendition that I had to vote for him and was so pleased when he won :)

We definitely got robbed in 2016.... but I also think there would have been a lot of backlash if Australia had won so soon when some countries haven't won in such a long time, if at all.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Here's the live version:

I thought he would've won last year, he was one of the favourites. I didnt really like the last year's winner.

Bobby I didnt know you watched Eurovision!

Yeah, I love Eurovision. Well, it is half love, half taking the piss but i think that is what most fans of the show are like.

That was Francesco's live version at the Sanremo contest. His act suffered from a lack of back up singers, a cut in his song for length reasons and how big the stage was. If he did Sanremo at Eurovision, he would have got 2nd.

Agree with everything you said here! I LOVED Belgium's song, however her live performance fell apart. I hadn't initially liked Portugal's song when I listened to all the songs beforehand. However on the night, I was so moved by Salvador's poignant rendition that I had to vote for him and was so pleased when he won :).

Yeah, nothing was going to beat his performance. It was fresh and emotional. I loved that he sang in Portuguese. Sick of all these English songs.

I'm sick to death of English songs too. It looks as though this year might be a bit different.

I'm already in love with Greece's entry. In Greek :3

If you read a translation of the lyrics, it's meant to be a dialogue between Greece and its citizens.

Yeah, I love Eurovision. Well, it is half love, half taking the piss but i think that is what most fans of the show are like.

That was Francesco's live version at the Sanremo contest. His act suffered from a lack of back up singers, a cut in his song for length reasons and how big the stage was. If he did Sanremo at Eurovision, he would have got 2nd.

Yeah, nothing was going to beat his performance. It was fresh and emotional. I loved that he sang in Portuguese. Sick of all these English songs.

Agreed, that's the fun part of Eurovision plus I always enjoying watching the voting part.

I just went back and re-watched the Portuguese live act and so much better than the recorded version, very emotional. It would be great to see a few more non-English songs on Eurovision.

I'm sick to death of English songs too. It looks as though this year might be a bit different.

I'm already in love with Greece's entry. In Greek :3

If you read a translation of the lyrics, it's meant to be a dialogue between Greece and its citizens.

Strong and emotional song, I really like the beat and tone of this one.

Someone posted the lyrics on Youtube:

1st Stanza (Greece/Country): If you'll explore my deep sea, you'll make my dream come true. And if you look into my heart, I'll take you into my arms.
Chorus (Greeks/Citizens): How do you want me to tell you that I would die for you? I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me. No matter how much would I suffer, I wouldn't erase you off the map. I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me.
2nd Stanza (Greece/Country): Why do you want to change me and make my blue color faint? If you talk to my mountains, my loneliness will hear you.
Chorus (Greeks/Citizens) x2: How do you want me to tell you that I would die for you? I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me. No matter how much would I suffer, I wouldn't erase you off the map. I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me.
Cry (in the background): But why? How do you want me to tell you that I would die for you? I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me. No matter how much would I suffer, I wouldn't erase you off the map. I would give my life for you! The end and the beginning, you're everything to me. Cry (in the background): But why?
Translation:
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/oneiro-mou-όνειρο-μου-my-dream.html-1

Last edited:

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure why they changed the broadcast dates, it's now on Wednesday/Friday/Sunday instead of Friday/Saturday/Sunday. The girlfriend isn't impressed, as it screws with her Eurovision party plans. I guess I'll be rigging up a PVR so it can be replayed on the weekend.

Not sure why they changed the broadcast dates, it's now on Wednesday/Friday/Sunday instead of Friday/Saturday/Sunday. The girlfriend isn't impressed, as it screws with her Eurovision party plans. I guess I'll be rigging up a PVR so it can be replayed on the weekend.
That might be for the live telecast? Which is in the morning our time. Surely the 'replay' primetime telecast is still normal time?

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That might be for the live telecast? Which is in the morning our time. Surely the 'replay' primetime telecast is still normal time?

They have both live and "primetime" telecasts, but they are on the same days.

The Eurovision Song Contest
Primetime evening broadcasts
Semi Final 1 – Wednesday 9 May, 7.30pm, SBS
Semi Final 2 – Friday 11 May, 7.30pm, SBS ** FEATURING JESSICA MAUBOY
Grand Final – Sunday 13 May, 7.30pm, SBS

LIVE early morning broadcasts
Semi Final 1 – Wednesday 9 May, 5am (AEST) SBS
Semi Final 2 – Friday 11 May, 5am (AEST) SBS ** FEATURING JESSICA MAUBOY
Grand Final – Sunday 13 May, 5am (AEST) SBS

Strong and emotional song, I really like the beat and tone of this one.

Someone posted the lyrics on Youtube:

Translation:
https://lyricstranslate.com/en/oneiro-mou-όνειρο-μου-my-dream.html-1
Yes, the meaning makes me love it even more!

I listened to the entire playlist. There's a lot I like but no real big standouts.... Can't even think who might win.

And there are 13/43 non-English songs. Not sure what it was last year but I still think it could be more.

THE ODDS aren’t in Jessica Mauboy’s favour to win Eurovision, with bookies currently placing her ninth-favourite to take out the singing contest next week.

Betting agencies’ estimates released ahead of next week’s competition sees Mauboy lagging behind strong European offerings such as Sweden, Norway and France.

Israel is the hot favourite to win, with Netta Barzilai’s kooky song Toy a firm favourite with betting agencies and fans alike.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...k/news-story/ea95425e46d44c3d453c84d906f49e47

Back