Ever owned a horse?

• Thread starter Fall Out Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

F

Fall Out Boy

I've dabbled in more the a couple of horses, unfortunately all of them struggle to run out of sight on a dark night.

My first horse was a nag called Grey Party, she was a little grey filly trained by Robbie Laing.

She had about 15 starts for 2 wins.

She did do us a good turn when she won first up at Moe at 33/1.

My only other major horse was one called Fayeda. A Rory's Jester filly that i owned with Tony Liberatore (amongst others).
She was trained by Tony Vasil.

This little filly, like many Rory's Jester's was a flyer, but was also a fruit loop.

At the 800m trials she was the fastest horse at Caulfield trackwork, but once she went past 800m she collapsed.

She ended up having 6 starts for 3 placing, she's been to stud and foaled to Bubble Gum Fellow.

Anyone else owned any horses? Preferably with some success.

Ah, Shelley Hancox syndications.

They are quite reliable, good for some fun.

If you wanted to make some dosh you'd be best to steer clear of Shelley Hancox.

Backwater isn't bred to be much but its half-sister is a good honest horse.

Are you sure of the name of the second horse? It's not listed on the studbook.

My dad bought a horse to help a young trainer start off in the early 80's. It's name was Spanish Echo. She won a couple of races in town, but she wasn't anything special. He (my dad) lost more than he won, thats for sure!

I hope to get involved in the next few years. I'm related to a trainer, so hopefully he can look after me.

Was a member, (along with thousands of others) in the Go Geelong Racing syndicate. We started with 12 horses, all trained by former Cats great Mark Bairstow but most of them were hacks and were sold. It ended up ending 8 months ahead of schedule because they had sold all the horses. But we only outlayed $195, so we didn't make a huge loss.

Wouldn't mind owning a horse one day, but would have to find a few mates to go in it and more importantly the money to do it.
Perhaps Harness Racing is the way to go. I don't think the costs are as high as the Gallops.

Originally posted by Catman
Was a member, (along with thousands of others) in the Go Geelong Racing syndicate. We started with 12 horses, all trained by former Cats great Mark Bairstow but most of them were hacks and were sold. It ended up ending 8 months ahead of schedule because they had sold all the horses. But we only outlayed $195, so we didn't make a huge loss.

HAHA

Another victim here.

That was the most pathetic syndicate ever. The two guys that ran it (Nick Kelphala was one) had no idea of how to run a syndicate.

Only 3 horses showed any talent, all three broke down.

I still remember one of them (It's Go Time) running a fantastic second in a hurdle at Sandown. I was in the members enclosure with Mark that day, he said that he expected the horse to become a quality city jumper.

Two months later it was retired.

Perhaps Harness Racing is the way to go. I don't think the costs are as high as the Gallops.

...Nor are the returns.

Wouldn't mind owning a horse one day, but would have to find a few mates to go in it and more importantly the money to do it.

Harness Racing is great,have owned 2 after finding racing way too expensive.
Had a FFA trotter called Roydon Speed,bought him as a tried horse,he won two for us at GDP & ran a dozen or so placings.

Currently have a rising 2yo pacer we bought at the Adelaide sale in March,just broken in,trainer likes him enough to take a quarter of him.
Still very early but he's bred OK,just hoping at this stage.

Harness Racing is loads cheaper than thoroughbred racing,it's true that the prizemoney isn't as good but either is the competition.You never get balloted out at the trotties.
The pacer is also way tougher,once they're going they can race just about every week,hardly need a vet either.

Considering they eat pretty much the same food as thoroughbreds it's amazing what thoroughbred trainers get away with charging.

Great fun affordable sport where 3 or 4 mates can own a horse without having to be with 15 people you don't know.

Seth.

Another benefit of the pacers is their durability. You often see pacers or trotters with well over 100 starts to their name and still going strong even at age 8,9,10 or 11.

Gallopers can break down at their first trial and you've done your dough big time. The risks aren't as high in the harness world.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky

HAHA

Another victim here.

That was the most pathetic syndicate ever. The two guys that ran it (Nick Kelphala was one) had no idea of how to run a syndicate.

Only 3 horses showed any talent, all three broke down.

I still remember one of them (It's Go Time) running a fantastic second in a hurdle at Sandown. I was in the members enclosure with Mark that day, he said that he expected the horse to become a quality city jumper.

Two months later it was retired.

Yeah, it become a very shoddily run syndicate. We never heard from them in the last 2 years of the syndicate and I had to ring up their crummy hotline to find out that the syndicate was all over.

I remember the race. The race was part of the Irish/Aussie jockey challenge and It's Go Time was ridden by one of the Irish blokes. He ran a good second and paid a nice price for a place. His next two starts he ran tailed off in hurdle races at Casterton and Bendigo. Then he is retired not long later. Strange.

We didn't have much luck.

The best of the horses, a big filly (forget her name) only had one start for a second before breaking down.

She was going to win that day, shame Bairstow put his bit on the side on the horse, stupid girl couldn't hold the horse back.

That horse ended up being sold for $25,000

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
We didn't have much luck.

The best of the horses, a big filly (forget her name) only had one start for a second before breaking down.

She was going to win that day, shame Bairstow put his bit on the side on the horse, stupid girl couldn't hold the horse back.

That horse ended up being sold for $25,000

Let Yourself Go was her name, by Marauding. She's currently in foal to Real Quiet, her second foal, the first being a filly by Palace Music.

Yeah, Bronwyn Mathieson was the jock that day and she is over in Perth riding races and trackwork for him at the moment. Absolutely hopeless she is, can't ride to save herself. She blew the chances of Mark's only runner at Belmont on saturday, Party Boy (Owned by Mal Brown and others). Over 2400 she had the horse sitting 3 wide for much of the first 1200 and of course the horse compounded in the straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back