Every game should be umpired like the Grand Final | Page 3 | BigFooty

Every game should be umpired like the Grand Final

Discussion in 'Umpiring, MRP, Tribunal and Rules' started by peteau89, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Note who missed a GF gig...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. mic59

mic59 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
    Umpires love these dramatic pauses that they put in just before they destroy someones day and pay a match winning free kick against them in the last minute.

3. dumb

dumb i shit blue

Carlton
    i usually roll out the same sort of answer for these threads. they could give umpires the directive to umpire h&a like finals, so why don't they? it's part of building the end of year crescendo. higher stakes, better umpiring, whatever. afl season life cycle that restarts round 1.

there's been some hooha about trialing rules in games that still matter, but it's gone for longer than simply floating the idea last season. the weekly rule umpires sometimes focus on looks a lot like a trial.

4. boondy

boondy I pity the fool

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    20181130_104546.jpg 20181130_104546.jpg
    There was a blatant one with about 4 mins to go , Cripps went to kick it to Sheed cos they were out but a collingwood player was so close Cripps had to stop and not unload the kick . That should have been paid . 20181130_104546.jpg
    20181130_104608.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. RobbieGray17

RobbieGray17 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    I just watched the replay to the last quarter Geelong Vs Hawthorn 2012 Tom Hawkins kicked the winning goal but the play before that should have 100% been holding the ball but the umpires don't pay free kicks in the dying stages of the game in the forward 50 unless they absolutely have to. Cost the Hawks the game. Here's the thing:

Pay holding the ball every day of the week no matter where it is.
    DONT pay touchy holding the man or pushes in the contest.

6. Topkent

Topkent Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
  7. boondy

boondy I pity the fool

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    The player next to him was not clearing the area , the game was impeded which is exactly why the 5 metre area is a no go , the whistle was put away in the last 5 minutes but it worked in Collingwoods favour because they slowed that play ,won it back again and pumped it back in ther f50 then McGovern took the screamer etc. You know the rest .

8. kaiserchief13

kaiserchief13 Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
    It was Cripps and that guy wasn't on the mark. The guy in front of him was on the mark. Cripps tried to kick toward the centre of the ground but couldn't because a Collingwood player was literally within half a metre of him running past

boondy likes this.