Every game should be umpired like the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

This.
I think the interpretation, or wording, of some of the rules should be simplified, and some rules could probably be removed to know detriment to the game, but you cant just ignore rules for the good of the game.

The GF may have been fun to watch for neutrals, but the umpiring was shithouse, and inconsistent, towards both clubs. That is not an example of a well umpired game.

It wasn't the best umpired game I've seen but it was a lot better than the umpiring in the last two GFs where there was a noticeable bias towards one team.

There was a few poor calls against both teams but overall it was reasonably fair and unbiased and wasn't a big factor in the end result which is what you want.

Ideally, yes - every game should be umpired as if it were a grand final

The problem is then there would be no comparison; grand final umpiring would become the norm, it would go full cycle and then the grand final would end up being umpired like a regular home and away game (from our perspective - as we wouldn’t know any better - or worse)

The game is over officiated as is

I don’t think anyone is suggesting don’t pay frees that are there...

But a lot less incidental or technical frees makes the game more attractive.

Like a marking contest where a defender grabs the jumper for half a second or brushes over the shoulder and it has zero impact on the contest...
I hate seeing a forward get a cheap kick for that

Or a 50m penalty paid because a guy at the side gets to close to the kicker.

Got to get rid of the gotchya element of it and pay the deliberate and impactful infringements

I don’t think anyone is suggesting don’t pay frees that are there...

But a lot less incidental or technical frees makes the game more attractive.

Like a marking contest where a defender grabs the jumper for half a second or brushes over the shoulder and it has zero impact on the contest...
I hate seeing a forward get a cheap kick for that

Or a 50m penalty paid because a guy at the side gets to close to the kicker.

Got to get rid of the gotchya element of it and pay the deliberate and impactful infringements

This. This is what I meant by my original post. Frees that have no impact on play or could go either way should be let go. Frees that are obvious should be given. As long as it's consistent towards both teams.

Not sure why people are saying this idea is street rules.

Examples of what should be let go:
Incidental hands in the back that has no effect on contest
High tackles where it's obvious player ducked
Split second holds
Accidentally brushing someone's shoulder

I'm sick of watching games where all these technicalities are paid. The Grand Final was a refreshing change.

I get the AFL is not likely going to change their stance, especially during the regular season, but they keep talking rule changes when half the problem is being too technical and to the book. It'd be a better spectacle if they just let more of it go.

Last edited:
So basically you believe the sport should be rule less as that’s how the GF was umpired.

I never said it should be rule less. Just that technical calls and calls that could go either way should be let go. Only pay them if they're obvious and have an effect on play.

I respect the idea behind this, but I think you'll find that if you "put the whistle away" players will push boundaries more and more, break more rules, and everyone gets frustrated.

I agree with Power Raid pay the fees that are there.

I used to like finals umpiring when they actually started out quite strict, to establish control of the game and let the players know cheating would not be tolerated. It must be remembered that cheating (holding, pushing, illegal tackles) are a way for players of lesser ability to nullify good players, and it is the brilliance of the good players that makes the game entertaining.

Pay them when they are there, especially early on. The players will then focus on playing fairly and you can probably ease up a little bit on technical ones that have no impact on play.

well articulated

and yes, I agree the umps need to control the game before letting things flow

I think the best part of the Grand Final for me was the umpires letting the game go and let it develop into a contest on contest.
And at the end of the day the best team won during 120 minutes of great football,From both clubs.
Congrats West Coast.

This.
I think the interpretation, or wording, of some of the rules should be simplified, and some rules could probably be removed to know detriment to the game, but you cant just ignore rules for the good of the game.

The GF may have been fun to watch for neutrals, but the umpiring was shithouse, and inconsistent, towards both clubs. That is not an example of a well umpired game.
Nonsense. It was well umpired bar the odd mistake, for both sides, which will happen every week because the game is incredibly difficult to umpire. The point is that it wasn’t over officiated as so many regular season games are, which made for a better spectacle.

Agree there are too many times in a game where an umpire just pulls a free out of a hat and noone even knows what it was for. Pay the obvious ones, if it's not obvious it shouldn't be worth a free. They say they want to grow the game, well make it simple because umpiring and spectating with all these technical rules is overcomplicated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am concerned the AFL will be inundated with petitions if we umpired each game like the GF.
There are rules to the game which have been over complicated over time, they need to be stripped back and simplified and ENFORCED.

The inconsistencies in the final were many and varied.
The ball was pulled into contests a lot of times. A few were paid.
There were half a dozen almost marks. Two were paid.
There was much "professional" time wasting that warranted 50 m penalties. One was paid.
Holding and blocking was rampant throughout the game. A few were paid at random but most weren't. One such decided the outcome.
As an umpiring display it was dire. The fact that the stronger team won is not relevant.

Watching the replays 3 times i give up now,
I think both teams missed obvious free kicks,but that is part of the game.
Umpires are Human we make mistakes.
I have tried to have this conversation with my father over the last 20 years and even if Collingwood win's its like what about the umpires,Kinda gave up as its his obsession and avoid watching football with him,Cricket is the same and Tennis even golf rulings.

The inconsistencies in the final were many and varied.
The ball was pulled into contests a lot of times. A few were paid.
There were half a dozen almost marks. Two were paid.
There was much "professional" time wasting that warranted 50 m penalties. One was paid.
Holding and blocking was rampant throughout the game. A few were paid at random but most weren't. One such decided the outcome.
As an umpiring display it was dire. The fact that the stronger team won is not relevant.

Did Howe drag the ball in? When trapped in the goal square?

Most people I've spoken to, Victorians, don't even think it was worth a free kick let alone decided the outcome of the game.

it was great to watch a game of footy that didn't involve a whistle every 30 seconds followed by players looking around in confusion

i feel too often my nerves in a game of footy come solely from whether or not the umpire is going to pay a free kick

Instead of bs rule changes a big part to reducing stoppages and making the game more exciting would be for the AFL to get the umpires to umpire every game the way they did in the Grand Final.. by letting it go and only paying deadset obvious or blatant frees.

The umpires failed to pay numerous obvious and blatant free kicks for incorrect disposal (throwing the ball), push in the back, holding the man and holding the ball. The umpiring was abysmal. The role of the umpire is to ensure the game is played within the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back