Toast EVERY HEART BEATS TRUE

Remove this Banner Ad

Good documentary. At the beginning I was a little worried it was just going to be 'Old man yells at cloud, featuring Mike Sheahan', but it helped set the table well of what had gone before, and Mike being a Melbourne man really helped. Loved Garry's reaction also to being reminded of the 2018 prelim, where it looked like it had been wiped from his memory as some sort of defense mechanism :grin:.

Obviously the best stuff was all surrounding the 2021 season including the main event. Was great having both Vineys sitting next to each other reflecting. My main take away though was Max Gawn. His legend will only grow from here, and when they touched on Norm Smith, Barass, Stynes and Daniher, i couldnt help but think this is how Gawny will be spoken about in future years.

Heartening also to see how hungry everyone is for another flag. This premiership to me was so perfect though and ill hold onto it forever no matter what lies ahead. I also personally didnt give a damn that it was in Perth, most of the enjoyment i get is from rewatching the game endlessly and from media content such as this doco.

Anyone else think that was pretty crap all things considered? I reckon theres about 5 better productions on youtube and they had no access to the players.
They spent 40 minutes talking about Norm Smith, Robbie Flower and Jim and about 5 minutes about the Neeld era, even less on the actual game.

Kinda just rehashed things that were already done.
I liked it. I thought though that in a way it was a doco designed for external viewers rather than Melbourne faithful. It put a lot of time and weight on explaining the bigness of the first flag in 57 years and the horrible times from then til now - none of which is new information to anyone here.

I do think that I would like to have seen more time on back room footage 2021. Maybe it would be nice for a part 1 part 2 split, with part 2 entirely focussed on the not previously released stuff across the premiership year.

I liked it. I thought though that in a way it was a doco designed for external viewers rather than Melbourne faithful. It put a lot of time and weight on explaining the bigness of the first flag in 57 years and the horrible times from then til now - none of which is new information to anyone here.

I do think that I would like to have seen more time on back room footage 2021. Maybe it would be nice for a part 1 part 2 split, with part 2 entirely focussed on the not previously released stuff across the premiership year.
Felt line they rehashed everything that was shown in the lead up to the granny

Felt line they rehashed everything that was shown in the lead up to the granny
Probably. I stopped watching the GF build up early in the piece. It was making me nervous plus I have read Red Fox so am pretty au fait with the Norm story

It's alright, kinda week in some areas. I get that we have a lot of history behind us to cover getting to the premiership, but i was knida hoping for some inside access stuff and really going into detail about the game itself or more coverage over the season. The final round geelong game was glossed over fairly quickly asides from max's goal, even still it would have been nice to hear about the setbacks at adelaide and so on.

Even in the history stuff a lot of was glossed over, i know nothing happened between 64 and 87 but it's such an untold era of pain. Northy got a great mention while Balme's era went unammed. Like i get we didn't do well under him but we did make a finals series with him, but they made out like it was a blank era other than a merger.

It's alright, kinda week in some areas. I get that we have a lot of history behind us to cover getting to the premiership, but i was knida hoping for some inside access stuff and really going into detail about the game itself or more coverage over the season. The final round geelong game was glossed over fairly quickly asides from max's goal, even still it would have been nice to hear about the setbacks at adelaide and so on.

Even in the history stuff a lot of was glossed over, i know nothing happened between 64 and 87 but it's such an untold era of pain. Northy got a great mention while Balme's era went unammed. Like i get we didn't do well under him but we did make a finals series with him, but they made out like it was a blank era other than a merger.

Dean Bailey a bit hard done by also i reckon. Really only focused on the massacre down at the Cattery, but there were some fun times in this period aswel - down hill skiing but massive wins, Liam Jurrah, Jamar and Beamer combo in the midfield. Wasnt all doom and gloom

I thought it was terrific. As a new fan, I’ve heard some of the history, but not as much as the rest of you who actually lived most or all of it.

My only complaint was I wished they had given a little more time to some of the important home and away games. I felt like the big games could have used a little more coverage. Even just for dramatic purposes I would have played up the games where the team was down and faced some adversity, and yet fought back when their backs were against the wall (Richmond, Brisbane, Round 23), to foreshadow the position they found themselves in in the GF. Also probably would have played up that disappointing loss to the dogs a bit for dramatic purposes when they faced them again in the granny.

On the plus side, I loved that the helmeted hero got his due. He earned it with that third quarter.

Lastly, how awesome is Gary? Really funny to me that he apparently was a cantankerous arsehole back in his playing days. Would seem to make perfect sense for the time he played, but just funny to contrast with his personality now.

Petracca on AFL 360 just now saying he didn't know the Demons made the 1988 GF until watching the doco. last night. How odd is that?

It's also not really talked about 88?

Like Melbourne don't mention it for obvious reasons, i don't see hawthorn supporters mention it, i mean they cherish it but they knew their opposition was sub par on the day and there isn't much to add to it. The general footy fan doesn't tend to remember the older blow outs, as there isn't much to remember. The following Grand Final is regarded as the best of all time (i don't agree) overshawdows it and a lot of the 80's grand finals, if you ask people what game they're going to remember it's 89.

Take 2000 though, it's more recent but it's also more remembered because of the season essendon put behind it that year, not ust the grand final itself, not that hawthorn unmemorable season, but not as good as Essendon only dropping one game. They also had more exposure on all AFL matches being covered than the pick and choose of the 80's

So when you ask someone born after an unmemorable event they aren't going to realise unless they happen to be big fans of the game and it's history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lastly, how awesome is Gary? Really funny to me that he apparently was a cantankerous arsehole back in his playing days. Would seem to make perfect sense for the time he played, but just funny to contrast with his personality now.
Yeah. I love him anyway but absolutely loved him in this doco. He’s so authentic and yet listenable

The AFL website has just put out a short doco on the GF. 16 minutes long but it seems more in depth to the day itself? Yet to watch it but looks okay

Okay update, i've watched the AFL one. It's a real shame it's short, but what it makes up for is access. Like hearing Goodwin talk at the 3 quarter time huddle was almost spine tingling to me. Do give it a watch, can say even though it's short it's worth it

Okay update, i've watched the AFL one. It's a real shame it's short, but what it makes up for is access. Like hearing Goodwin talk at the 3 quarter time huddle was almost spine tingling to me. Do give it a watch, can say even though it's short it's worth it

Yeah I've watched both and cried. Good times.

Yep thought last night's doco was a decent watch but enjoyed this much more.

The Doco was just ok. Would have liked it more in depth. Maybe some supporters thoughts as I feel we've been the butt of a lot of jokes over the 57 years. Would have been nice to see the fans a part of it too. They could have just brushed over the dark years tbh. Needed more inside access on GF day and some celebration footage from inside the camp. Just felt like it was a little safe. Can't complain though, I mean I would have given my left nut for a Doco based on a current Dees premiership..

this was way shorter but way better. Hope there's more footage to come sometime

Yep, this is so much better. Some genuine insight behind the scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone else think that was pretty crap all things considered? I reckon theres about 5 better productions on youtube and they had no access to the players.
They spent 40 minutes talking about Norm Smith, Robbie Flower and Jim and about 5 minutes about the Neeld era, even less on the actual game.

Kinda just rehashed things that were already done.

Even tho you killed my garden im warming to you new guy. You seem like a knowledgable kind of person.

I haven't seen this but I already like it better than Fox Footy's after 1 min, anything that talks about the veil of negativity is alright by me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back