Every test in an Australian summer decided inside 4 days?

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All four tests so far this summer have been decided at some point during day 4. I think there's a fair chance the Sydney test won't go into a 5th day which would mean every test of this Australian summer will have been decided without the need for play on day 5.

With that in mind two questions: Will the Sydney test be won be either team inside 4 days and produce a clean sweep of tests decided within four days and have we ever had an Aussie summer where no test match has gone into day 5?

The 2004-05 summer came to mind but the New Zealand test in Adelaide started on November 26 and ended on November 30. The West Indies secured a draw in Adelaide in 2009 so the 2009-10 season is off the table too.

Vegeta

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2015
New Zealand
Other Teams
Black Caps, FC Barcelona & Warriors
Australia's bowlers are too good, England and SA would roll over too.

Only team I can see doing well against them is India.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Australia's bowlers are too good, England and SA would roll over too.

Only team I can see doing well against them is India.
to be fair, India's batsmen have a game, a mindset to knuckle down and compete in Australia. Obviously we have conditions like no where else in the world (fast bouncy pitches). When coming here teams fear our pace batteries which we have been blessed to produce en mass for decades.

Vegeta

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2015
New Zealand
Other Teams
Black Caps, FC Barcelona & Warriors
to be fair, India's batsmen have a game, a mindset to knuckle down and compete in Australia. Obviously we have conditions like no where else in the world (fast bouncy pitches). When coming here teams fear our pace batteries which we have been blessed to produce en mass for decades.
They're the only ones with the ability to withstand the onslaught and counter it.

Rohit will score runs here, he plays pace well and has already scored runs in the shorter formats. But to do that, he needs to see off the new ball which is easier said than done. If he does that, I could see him piling on the runs.

Pujara doesn't throw his wicket away, that Agrwal guy is apparently really good and Kohli is right there with Smith as the best batsmen in the world.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
They're the only ones with the ability to withstand the onslaught and counter it.

Rohit will score runs here, he plays pace well and has already scored runs in the shorter formats. But to do that, he needs to see off the new ball which is easier said than done. If he does that, I could see him piling on the runs.

Pujara doesn't throw his wicket away, that Agrwal guy is apparently really good and Kohli is right there with Smith as the best batsmen in the world.

I think it goes back to that mindest. So many test teams arrive here with a defensive mentality and that immediately puts you on the back foot. New Zealand have shown by putting the onus on us with aggressive bowling that you won't have it all your own way. Unfortunately the Kiwi batters couldn't participate and help the bowling unit with a decent score to bowl with when paired up.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
All four tests so far this summer have been decided at some point during day 4. I think there's a fair chance the Sydney test won't go into a 5th day which would mean every test of this Australian summer will have been decided without the need for play on day 5.

With that in mind two questions: Will the Sydney test be won be either team inside 4 days and produce a clean sweep of tests decided within four days and have we ever had an Aussie summer where no test match has gone into day 5?

The 2004-05 summer came to mind but the New Zealand test in Adelaide started on November 26 and ended on November 30. The West Indies secured a draw in Adelaide in 2009 so the 2009-10 season is off the table too.
I'll tell you what cricket doesn't need: four day tests.
What exactly are you trying to say?

This is why I want to see some fight from the Kiwis today. Doesn't mean I don't want Australia to win, but I do want to see a contest between bat and ball, which has been sadly lacking this summer. Remember that Test against India, when Michael Clarke took 3 wickets in an over to pinch an unlikely win? More of that please!!!!!

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Lol fat Rohit will do nothing averages 26 outside of India and 88 at home. You could not get a bigger flat track bully

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

mindset is important, the reason SA have won 3 in a row here is a) because their conditions are similar but b) they’ve been - unlike their World Cup sides - mentally tough enough to cope. They ran into a rampant Mitchell Johnson at the waca when he took 8 wickets in an innings - that would have ruined most teams for a summer. They promptly chased down 400 and then won a Boxing Day tear from 6-140

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah na, Rabada is a star but that’s it. This is Philanders last series not the attack it once was
Yes, this is his last series. So if their series was in australia he would be in it.
Nortje looks a very promising type, as I said availability would be an issue but Ngidi is currently injured but looks a jet, Pretorious gives them control, and Maharaj has a better average than Nathan Lyon.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, this is his last series. So if their series was in australia he would be in it.
Nortje looks a very promising type, as I said availability would be an issue but Ngidi is currently injured but looks a jet, Pretorious gives them control, and Maharaj has a better average than Nathan Lyon.
Mate they aren’t no where near as good as the Australian attack when they come out in two years time it will be Rabada or bust

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Just on Maheraj

He is closing in on Paul Adams record of 134 to become South Africa's most prolific spin bowler. Still only 29 (30 in February) and a latish start (debuted at 26) could see him play till his mid 30's.

Under appreciated for a South African spinner to have played for as long as he has..

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mate they aren’t no where near as good as the Australian attack when they come out in two years time it will be Rabada or bust

Alot can, and will change. South Africa are a fighting unti. Won't be surprised if they unearth a player or two when they hit our shores. Happens every time. JP Dumminy, Faf Du Plessis.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol fat Rohit will do nothing averages 26 outside of India and 88 at home. You could not get a bigger flat track bully

RohitSharma

Alot can, and will change. South Africa are a fighting unti. Won't be surprised if they unearth a player or two when they hit our shores. Happens every time. JP Dumminy, Faf Du Plessis.

Van der Dussen looks decent.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Van der Dussen looks decent.

It is one thing they have always provided. Strength and grit, detemrination. Think Graeme Smith, think Faf Du Plessis. For all his fireworks AB De Villiers could anchor an innings if needed. Even right back to the glody days Hansie Cronje, Kallis, Gibbs were brilliant at eating up balls and occupying the crease.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wouldn’t mind seeing Raynard Van Tonder getting a game, looks a very good prospect.

Look South Africa will always show fight but think they will be out classed

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
South Africa look weakened with their recent retirements but thing is, you can never write off South Africa in Australia, they almost always perform well in Aus.

I thought SA would struggle in Australia last time around when De Villiers and Steyn were ruled out of the series through injuries but then SA won the series in the first two matches itself with a pretty young team. So you never know although I think Australia would still be favourites given their recent resurgence with the inclusion of the banned duo, Labuschagne and Pattinson.

Last edited:

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
South Africa look weakened with their recent retirements but thing is, you can never write off South Africa in Australia, they almost always perform well in Aus.

I thought SA would struggle in Australia last time around when De Villiers and Steyn were out of the series through injuries but then SA won the series in the first two matches with a pretty young team. So you never know although I think Australia would still be favourites given their recent resurgence with the inclusion of the banned duo, Labuschagne and Pattinson.
To be fair we are a far stronger side than last time

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

any combination of Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Maharaj, Pretorious will be decent if they are all on the park.

much of that depends on Pretorious being able to score enough runs to bat at 7, however

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
any combination of Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Maharaj, Pretorious will be decent if they are all on the park.

much of that depends on Pretorious being able to score enough runs to bat at 7, however
Pretorious lol he will struggle here at his pace, they are not on par with Australia’s attack.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretorious lol he will struggle here at his pace, they are not on par with Australia’s attack.

heard that before when they had to bring in Kyle Abbott for Dale Steyn.

remind me how that worked out.

and re. Pretorious? Yeah see that would matter a lot more if he wasn’t - in the line up I named at least - the fifth bowler.

3 other guys bowling 140+, two of them from steepling height, kind of makes it irrelevant.

are they as good as Australia’s attack?

well having never all played together, I’m going to lean with ‘no.’

can they provide a threat?

I would think so

Back